Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Has anybody tried sending a hacked iphone to apple??

Default Has anybody tried sending a hacked iphone to apple??
    So I think I have a valid hardware issue. My 8GB w/ 1.1.4 on t-mobile has been working fine up until now. I've noticed that the touch screen has been acting flaky. When I go to manually input a phone number, the 4,5,6 key row will not allow me to input any of those keys. and this is after a reboot, restore and all that! So I'm assuming that i need to virginize my phone before sending it back, and just doing a general reformat to OTB status.

So has anybody done this yet successfully? any hints, tricks I need to know before hand? I called apple, and I do still fall under the warranty, so they are sending me a box to ship my phone back with. So I guess I passed step 1

any help on this issue is greatly appreciated!!!

i was in the apple store last night...I overhead a guy whos phone was shitting the bed. he restored his phone but didnt have an att account...no dice. they told him that they couldnt help him. things are different everywhere though...give it a shot in a store first

Quote Originally Posted by dposet View Post
    So I think I have a valid hardware issue. My 8GB w/ 1.1.4 on t-mobile has been working fine up until now. I've noticed that the touch screen has been acting flaky. When I go to manually input a phone number, the 4,5,6 key row will not allow me to input any of those keys. and this is after a reboot, restore and all that! So I'm assuming that i need to virginize my phone before sending it back, and just doing a general reformat to OTB status.

So has anybody done this yet successfully? any hints, tricks I need to know before hand? I called apple, and I do still fall under the warranty, so they are sending me a box to ship my phone back with. So I guess I passed step 1

any help on this issue is greatly appreciated!!!
    I called Apple, when they asked for my number, I said I didnt have one, they checked the serial, and realized it was still under warranty, that seemed to be okay with them. Also, they told me to send the phone back WITHOUT my sim card, so no worries there. I saw in some other thread about doing the prepaid sim card, does this help in getting the store to help you???

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

does that part of the screen only not work when you go into the phone app to the dial screen or that part just does not work no matter what screen you're in? because if that part of the screen just does not work, period, then i'd say it's probably a hardware issue, but if still works everywhere else BUT in one particular application, then i'd say it may be a software issue and may be fixable by restoring? just a suggestion. good luck either way!

Thanks

Yeah. just make it a "clean" iPhone again. set it back to no carrier, and do a full restore, dont restore a backup, and dont connect it to itunes afterwards.

(just like you got it OTB)

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

It seems like the dead spot is most noticeable in phone mode, that row: 4,5,6; I really can't select a contact in that area, and then I noticed that the 3rd row of the solitaire game wasn't responding. Also an issue with the gemlogic game in that same general area. I think that there is an issue with the installer app in that area, but it's not as noticeable as the others. This is all after a complete restore and reactivation, unlock, jailbreak via ziphone 2.5.

I'm going to try restoring to 1.1.3 to see if that fixes it, but I'm pretty convinced this is a hardware issue. I tried looking for a way to use a pre-paid att sim card, but it looks as if all the answers involve jailbreaking, which I obviously don't want to do.

Any idea if I can use a buddy's att sim to activate my phone (he's got the iphone as well, unhacked, boring, normal)??

I will be in an area with an apple store tomorrow, if I just use his sim, activate my phone, leave the sim card out, and bring my pre-paid card and act dumb, i should be good.

Here's to hoping I guess!

If I were you, I'd put it back to OTB firmware and send it back with the ATT card, if you still have it, if not, don't worry. As long as they can see the serial on the back and it's in warranty, they probably won't even turn it on and just send you a new/reconditioned one, If it's anything like the iPod service!!!
    Theres no law that says you have to activate/register it, just blag it and say you haven't ever been bother to activate it and a friend tried their ATT card in it, to play with it and you found the fault!! But I bet you It won't even go that far??
    I'll be interested to see what happens?
    I hope the apple service boys/girls don't read this message...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you cannot just put an AT&T sim in there. The phone needs to be activated either through iTunes or one of the jailbreak processes. Also because of how jailbreaking and unlocking have become so popular that about all apple stores are noe asking for a valid AT&T iPhone plan registered with your phone before they would help you

So I just activated the iphone with pre-paid. I noticed that the enter all 9's for your social trick has been fixed, so i put my own social in with just 1 number off. that seemed to get me to the pre-paid option, and from there i used my AMEX card to buy the cheapest plan. (I'm figuring that i can cancel charges once i get a new phone from the apple store) so far I'm out $50 bucks, so I'll what happens after the store. BTW, still have that dead spot on the screen on the 4,5,6 phone key row. However, when i went to the make an emergency call screen before activation, that row worked. Its a different screen, but still I dont have a clue whats wrong with the phone!

So I took my formerly hacked iphone, newly activated with att pre pay, to the apple store.
    got into see the genuis in 30 mins, and received a brand-new iphone! course they really had a hissy-fit after they handed me the phone so i could see that the screen worked, and i wouldnt hand it back so they could activate it! all the paperwork was done, and everything was finished (except for the activation part). i saw no reason to hand it back, yet they thought that i couldnt leave the store until it was activated. I was calm about it, but i was definatly an *** about it! i asked if someone was going to phyiscally restrain me until my phone was activated, i was told no, so i said you can get my iphone when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

so that trick worked, youre out $50 bucks, and 2 hours of time dealing w/ att and apple, but hey youre hacked phone is replaced. im thinking that i went overboard, because the birmingham al apple store would prolly replace the phone if it was OTB restore, no contract, but i wanted to be safe and sure!

Quote Originally Posted by dposet View Post
    So I took my formerly hacked iphone, newly activated with att pre pay, to the apple store.
    got into see the genuis in 30 mins, and received a brand-new iphone! course they really had a hissy-fit after they handed me the phone so i could see that the screen worked, and i wouldnt hand it back so they could activate it! all the paperwork was done, and everything was finished (except for the activation part). i saw no reason to hand it back, yet they thought that i couldnt leave the store until it was activated. I was calm about it, but i was definatly an *** about it! i asked if someone was going to phyiscally restrain me until my phone was activated, i was told no, so i said you can get my iphone when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

so that trick worked, youre out $50 bucks, and 2 hours of time dealing w/ att and apple, but hey youre hacked phone is replaced. im thinking that i went overboard, because the birmingham al apple store would prolly replace the phone if it was OTB restore, no contract, but i wanted to be safe and sure!
    CAn you please explain how you did the whole virgizing/prepaid method?