Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone not saving email account settings

Default Iphone not saving email account settings
    I've never seen this before, or even heard of it mentioned in forum topics.

After coming from a nightclub, I go to check my email and upload a few pictures from camera roll, just to find out my email settings have completely vanished. chalking this up to a one time mistake, I go to the iphone mailbox and set up my gmail account again. The mail program verifies the account, and takes me to the "Accounts" screen.

Problem is, the account never shows up, and upon re-entering the mail application, im prompted to chose an email service all over again, as if I'd just bought the phone.

The settings I enter don't even temporarily hold. The moment I press save, they're gone.

Any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fekz For This Useful Post:

qnc (2007-12-09)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hmm... Welcome to the forums, but I have no idea what would be causing that. Have you modified or unlocked your phone or is it stock?

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm on version 1.0 (ancient, I know) with app tap installed. Major 3rd party programs that are installed are BSD subsystem, and summerboard. Phone has never been unlocked.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

sftp or ssh in and chmod the entire phone to 775. tell me if it works

I'm familiar with Chmod permissions when it comes to pc FTP servers, but not on the Iphone. What program do I install to modify the permissions?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

you have installer. install openssh. the use a sftp program to ftp in and chmod . . . but if you havent ever done that not sure if it would work. was making a guess that some file somewhere on the phone no longer had write permission so when you put in the settings they wouldnt write to file

Thanks

That might just be it... Probably a file in /var/root/Library/Mail/
    Accounts.plist maybe? By the way, you can set permissions on-phone with MobileFinder now I believe...

I just opened finder and guess what, It was in the accountplist section. Now that I think about it, i remember accidentally opening it, but I don't recall modifying anything.

As far as ssh, I've installed it, but I'm not even sure where I'd go to access it and login. Is it done through safari? Excuse my ignorance regarding this phone, just got it a week ago.

---Update----

Problem solved. I must've changed something accidentally in the file.

For anyone else who may experience this problem:

1. Use Mobilefinder to delete accounts.plist

2. Simply choose your email service, re-enter your information into the mail application, and save. Do not delete anything else.

3. account information should save without issue.

Thanks for the quick responses unclear, and cash7c3.
    Last edited by fekz; 2007-10-05 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fekz View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses unclear, and cash7c3.
    That's what we're here for, glad we could help. Again, welcome to the forums, and feel free to ask a questions anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by fekz View Post
    I've never seen this before, or even heard of it mentioned in forum topics.

After coming from a nightclub, I go to check my email and upload a few pictures from camera roll, just to find out my email settings have completely vanished. chalking this up to a one time mistake, I go to the iphone mailbox and set up my gmail account again. The mail program verifies the account, and takes me to the "Accounts" screen.

Problem is, the account never shows up, and upon re-entering the mail application, im prompted to chose an email service all over again, as if I'd just bought the phone.

The settings I enter don't even temporarily hold. The moment I press save, they're gone.

Any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I got the same problem here. Thanks for the solution. I delete file accounts.pls and everything is solvved

I have the same problem, but I can delete the Accounts file.
    Any additional help on this?
    Thanks...

Thanks

question already asked and problem solved. this forum is great.

I thought that could be the issue but I could not get the correct path to the mail plist.

thanks

hello all,i am faceing the same problem as above,and would like some1 too pls help me,as the methord above is not helping me.just deleted the accounts.plist file,but still have the same problem,am on the 1.1.4 version.
    pls help