Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about a text from AT&T

Default Question about a text from AT&T
    So I just got this text,
    "AT&T Free Msg: Did you know using a smartphone as a mobile hotspot requires a Mobile Share or Data Connect 5GB plan? Pls call 1.866.679.7134 for details or att.com/dataplans."
    Anyone else get it? Could it be an ad, or does AT&T think I'm tethering?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

My guess is you used too much data in general. And yes, have heard of this many times.

AT&T thinks you are tethering and claims to be able to see when you are doing it. If you are on an unlimited plan still, this is the first step in switching you over to a limited plan which includes tethering. I received the same text a few years back and had to fight to keep my unlimited plan. If you are tethering with MyWi or something similar, be careful. The excuse they gave to me is "we can see which device the data ends up on by tracing the APN". If that's your first message, it's just a warning. If anymore follow, you will be switched. Good luck.

It's not the end of the world. They may just be sending you an ad. Check you'd bill though and make sure they didn't try and charge you for tethering (that is, if you're on an unlimited plan).

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks