Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I bought a bricked iPhone 3g. Thought I could fix it, but it seems to be impossible.

Default I bought a bricked iPhone 3g. Thought I could fix it, but it seems to be impossible.
    I saw an iPhone 3g on craigslist for $5 because it wouldn't even turn on. I bought it, opened it up, and it turns out the ribbon cables on the screen were disconnected. I reconnected them and it turned on. Kind of.

When the phone turned on it went to a slide to unlock screen, but it had "connect to itunes" in the background. If you were to slide to unlock the phone, it just takes you to the emergency call screen. I figured I would just reload a 4.2.1 IPSW. I downloaded one and attempted to restore it via itunes. I got a 1600 error and a 1603 error. I tried a new USB port and even a new cable I went to the store and bought. This time the phone managed to restore successfully with iTunes. I was happy, thought it was fixed. Nope. I turned the phone on and it was back at the slide to unlock "connect to itunes" screen. I was pretty baffled. I just restored the thing with a normal 4.2.1 IPSW using iTunes, and it did this.

So I took out the SIM card and realized this was going to be a huge pain. The SIM card is some huge white thing I've never seen before, but after googling the number on it "TF64SIMC4 V2" I realized the SIM is out of a LG Trackphone. WHO DOES THAT? I started realizing the phone may be unlocked, so I used iPhoneIMEI.info to check. This is what the website told me:

IMEI: 011771001198590
    Activated: Yes
    Find My iPhone: Off
    Telephone Technical Support: Expired
    Repairs & Service Coverage: Expired
    Contract: Expired
    SIM Lock: Unlocked

So I tried multiple things. I tried using unlocked versions of the 4.2.1 IPSW by clearing the baseband with redsn0w and restoring with iTunes. It doesnt work at all. i get a 1600 error immediately and a 32 error once. I tried using whited00r unlocked version and iTunes wont even bother trying to restore with that. 1603 immediately.
    I finally got desperate and tried to jailbreak it with redsn0w 9.14. I loaded a 4.2.1 IPSW into redsn0w (not an unlocked version because redsn0w wouldnt recognize it for some stupid reason). It was in DFU mode and everything, but my phone just stayed on a black screen with the backlight on until it shut off. Tried to boot it and it just hangs at the apple logo.

I think this is unsolvable. My goal is to get this thing in a sellable state on Ebay. I dont care if it boots the stock Apple software or of it boots a jailbroken version. I bought this thinking it woudl be an easy $55, so my main goal is to get it able to sell.
    Last edited by invadercow; 2014-03-09 at 07:48 PM.

Forgive me, but I have to ask....obviously there is some kind of HW problem with that phone. So, you would like to fix is temporary, just to be able to sell it, despite the fact, that the future buyer would soon discover that the phone is kind of broken. Hmmmmm, strange, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Forgive me, but I have to ask....obviously there is some kind of HW problem with that phone. So, you would like to fix is temporary, just to be able to sell it, despite the fact, that the future buyer would soon discover that the phone is kind of broken. Hmmmmm, strange, wouldn't you say?
    ??? What are you talking about? There is no hardware problem with the phone. I think I may just need a SIM card to activate it. I'm trying to fix the phone so it's able to be sold. No, I wouldn't think that's strange.

Lol. If it's a 3G. Not a 3GS. You need to kick it back down to iOS 3.1.3 I believe. That's the most recent and stable firmware version for that phone.

If it's a 3GS. The. Yes. You are on the right track. Just need an AT&T sim. Or someone who uses att s towers. Like net 10 or whatever. That will make the process much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post
    Lol. If it's a 3G. Not a 3GS. You need to kick it back down to iOS 3.1.3 I believe. That's the most recent and stable firmware version for that phone.

If it's a 3GS. The. Yes. You are on the right track. Just need an AT&T sim. Or someone who uses att s towers. Like net 10 or whatever. That will make the process much easier.
    I actually found a video telling me to do that. Right now It's running 3.1.2 and is at the activation screen. Do I need to pay for service or do I just need a SIM card? Can I just walk into an ATT store and get a sim card and leave?

I may not be correct, but I believe the sim needs to be activated to a phone number. It does not have to have phone minutes on it but it does need to be activated. A brand new sim would prolly have to have minutes added to it first before it will become activated. Ifyou have a sim that has ran out of prepaid minutes but is still active to a phone number should work.

That's exactly right. Kinda hard for me to know. I have my AT&T sims for ally phones. And I saved them. Do when restoring a phone I just popped them in. You can order one online for fairly cheap