Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5C IOS7 messed up software update function

Default iPhone 5C IOS7 messed up software update function
    I think I know what the problem is but I don't know how to fix it without restoring and re-jailbreaking so I am hoping someone might be able to help. Have an iPhone 7.0.4 T-Mobile jailbroken.
    Installed cydia softwareupdatekiller and BatteryInfoLite and felt that neither was working right. Removed them and then went into ifile to make sure all traces were removed.
    I think that maybe I deleted the real software update package from Apple (not sure but that's what I think) because now when you go into software update it just spins and spins and nothing shows up and this is using up my battery.
    What can I do other than restoring and rejailbreaking. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Miz.Michele; 2014-01-19 at 04:09 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Restore and rejailbreak probally only option.

That's not what I wanted to hear but I kind of figured that might be my only option.

Default re-jailbraked still same issue
    Hello - I restored my iphone and I checked that the software update function was working. Then I jailbreaked the phone again. I have not even installed any packages and the software update function does not work.

Is that the way it is supposed to be or is something wrong?

You can't use OTA software update with a jail broken device

I do know that you should not update a jailbroken phone from the software option but you can see it - - at least I could on all the other phones I have jailbroken. And I would use the softwareupdatekiller so that I would not accidentally update.
    On my 5C before jailbreak, if you went into software update, there is a message that says it's up to date but no picture of the update which was fine. After jailbreak, when you look at the option, it just spins and spins and can't retrieve anything. I believe others can see it which is why there is the softwareupdatekiller package from Cydia. I am wondering why I can't see it and if it is using up my battery.

The update feature via settings DOES-NOT work on a jailbroken iDevice. It's disabled once your phone becomes jailbroken. The only way to truly update your phone is to do it through iTunes, even if you do that, you never want to restore your backup from a jailbroken iDevice, unless you've completely wiped it clean of all tweaks, jailbreak daemons, debs, etc. If you restore again, just avoid going into the update pane in settings, period. Hope that helps.

*Edit* If it happens again, before restoring, hard restart your phone (Hold the home and power button together for about 10 seconds, until your phone turns off, then turn it back on.). Note: If you do this, DO NOT go back into the update pane in settings and check to see if its still doing it, just monitor your battery, and see if its back to normal, if its still draining, restore is going to be your only option.
    Last edited by WholeGrainOats; 2014-01-20 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks. But I still don't agree. If jb-ing disabled updates then why are there would be no need to have programs to disable it. I never update from iTunes so it's OK but I was just curious. Battery life seems fine. Just to be safe, I will not go into the update option.

Quote Originally Posted by Miz.Michele View Post
    Thanks. But I still don't agree. If jb-ing disabled updates then why are there would be no need to have programs to disable it. I never update from iTunes so it's OK but I was just curious. Battery life seems fine. Just to be safe, I will not go into the update option.
    It doesn't disable them. It breaks them!