Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to disable EDGE and use ONLY Wifi?

Default How to disable EDGE and use ONLY Wifi?
    When i launch Safari it always says EDGE is not activated blah blah blah, while i have my WIFI connection, anyone know what i should do? is it possible to have safari, email, youtube and so on to use when WIFI is avalible?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    When i launch Safari it always says EDGE is not activated blah blah blah, while i have my WIFI connection, anyone know what i should do? is it possible to have safari, email, youtube and so on to use when WIFI is avalible?
    It's because you don't really have a WiFi connection. When you think you have a WiFi connection, go into the settings and check your IP address. If it begins with 169.254.x.x you're not really connected. It means Wifi is turned on, but because no server could be found, it assigns a bogus IP address to the iPhone.

When you use Safari, Maps, YouTube or whatever, the iPhone will always attempt WiFi first (if its turned on). Failing that, it will fall back on EDGE. What happening with you is because there is no WiFi connection, its trying EDGE and telling you EDGE isn't activated [either].

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    It's because you don't really have a WiFi connection. When you think you have a WiFi connection, go into the settings and check your IP address. If it begins with 169.254.x.x you're not really connected. It means Wifi is turned on, but because no server could be found, it assigns a bogus IP address to the iPhone.

When you use Safari, Maps, YouTube or whatever, the iPhone will always attempt WiFi first (if its turned on). Failing that, it will fall back on EDGE. What happening with you is because there is no WiFi connection, its trying EDGE and telling you EDGE isn't activated [either].
    yea u got it rite
     Think Different

Ok so I downloaded the serivces app from installer so I can turn on and off edge and wifi independently. But... When I go to check email it seems like it is still activating edge... I am going to Bulgaria and I want to use my iphone to check email at wifi spots with out getting gouged by tmobile for usage... SO I am trying to figure out how to basically be in airplane mode except for wifi... any ideas? Can you please PM me? I can never find threads!!!!

Services dont work that good on 1.1.4

DL Boss prefs from installer, it works without a glitch.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AotW For This Useful Post:

capttanhowdy (2008-05-10)

So it will leave off edge and leave wifi only?

Quote Originally Posted by capttanhowdy View Post
    So it will leave off edge and leave wifi only?
    You can select in boss prefs which one should be on and which one should be off.

To answer your question: yes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AotW For This Useful Post:

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

yeh boss prefs is the greatist. even shows ip address when on wifi
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to screamforme02 For This Useful Post:

im looking in installer app and all i see is bigboss pref themes? Whats the file I need called? Do I need to add a specific source?

Its in the community sources repo, you should have this installed.

If not check the sources section on your installer.app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AotW For This Useful Post:

Yep there is a bigBoss's apps and themes... nice! Ok so what file am I looking for to download?

The app is called "Boss prefs"

Goto installer, tap install, all packages, scroll down to the letter B and you should find it there.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AotW For This Useful Post:

Nice!!! Thank you so much! Anyother boss stuff you recommend? anything cool?

Hello, I have another problem, how could i turn on edge and wifi. When i connect via wifi to my computer, edge connection terminated. Is there some way to let edge work with wifi?