Results 1 to 5 of 5

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Make your iphone 3G?

  1. #1
    Default Make your iphone 3G?
    Hi there. I'd love to buy an iphone but the fact it isn't 3G puts me off. I appreciate it has wifi that is excellent. However, that's only good if you are near a router or a hotspot....

    So, I was thinking. Is there any way you could link another mobile 3G device to an iphone? This could be another 3G phone* or USB modem or any other device that accepts a mobile sim.

    Since an iphone can detect a router, is there any device out there (maybe there is even such a thing as a router that accepts a sim-but I don't think so) that it could 'piggyback' so it could then browse the net at good speed away from wireless hotspots or 'traditional' routers?

    *I know, if you have a 3G phone why piggyback to the iphone? Well, from what I can gather the browser is far superior in use as opposed to, for example a Nokia N95

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu22 View Post
    Hi there. I'd love to buy an iphone but the fact it isn't 3G puts me off. I appreciate it has wifi that is excellent. However, that's only good if you are near a router or a hotspot....

    So, I was thinking. Is there any way you could link another mobile 3G device to an iphone? This could be another 3G phone* or USB modem or any other device that accepts a mobile sim.

    Since an iphone can detect a router, is there any device out there (maybe there is even such a thing as a router that accepts a sim-but I don't think so) that it could 'piggyback' so it could then browse the net at good speed away from wireless hotspots or 'traditional' routers?

    *I know, if you have a 3G phone why piggyback to the iphone? Well, from what I can gather the browser is far superior in use as opposed to, for example a Nokia N95
    We have the EDGE network....although the speeds aren't so great, it doesn't kill the battery as opposed to 3G.

    And no, as of now, I don't believe there is a way to get 3G on your iPhone. Might come out in a future firmware update...or an updated iPhone itself.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life reeko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,562
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 164 Times in 135 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat31 View Post
    We have the EDGE network....although the speeds aren't so great, it doesn't kill the battery as opposed to 3G.

    And no, as of now, I don't believe there is a way to get 3G on your iPhone. Might come out in a future firmware update...or an updated iPhone itself.
    it would be impossible to incorporate this in a firmware update, this will be the mark 2 iphone which steve jobs is said to be expected at some point this year. however, this is another question, and another thread.


    in answer to the first question, i never really thought about that but it seems a pretty good idea. maybe not worth the time and hassle considering we are due the mark 2 this year with a 3g chip? don't really know how much works involved....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    it would be impossible to incorporate this in a firmware update, this will be the mark 2 iphone which steve jobs is said to be expected at some point this year. however, this is another question, and another thread.


    in answer to the first question, i never really thought about that but it seems a pretty good idea. maybe not worth the time and hassle considering we are due the mark 2 this year with a 3g chip? don't really know how much works involved....
    Oops, then I stand corrected.

    It WILL be a future iPhone update...not a firmware update.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ckybam69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    dude the edge isnt that bad and any iphone modding your going to be doing you are going to need a computer. but if 3G is that important just wait till the new iphone comes out and go with that.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •