Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iphone user, Used Iphone

Default New iphone user, Used Iphone
    So my buddy got an Iphone a month or so back. I was talking to him the other day and asked him how he was getting along with his new iphone. He said he hated it and went back to his old phone. I asked him what he was going to do with the iphone. So, instead of him skipping it accross a pond, I told him to box it up and send it to me and I would send him a couple hundred bucks for it.

So, I have a used iphone on its way to me. All I know is it is a 8gig.

I am on ATT already, so cant I just pop my sim in and be good to go?

Then, what do I need to do? Unlock, jailbreak, Itunes???? I have all my contacts on Outlook 2007 on a laptop running Vista. I will need to get them on the phone.

My email account is through Gmail. So, I should be able to get email on the iphone right?

Thanks!!!

No, yes, and yes.

The iPhone already comes with a SIM card. because your friend already used it, you have to restore it when it connects to iTunes. Don't back it up. Then when the setup prompts, choose set up new iPhone. When you do, you can replace a phone in a plan. Just type in your phone number, last 4 digits of SS#, credit card number and all that crap. Then, you should be good to go. You can set up your gmail account on the phone using mail.app and you can sync your contacts right into there using the Contacts flap of the iPhone in iTunes. Remember to have the latest version of iTunes just in case. You can check other threads or youtube vids on how to jailbreak it. It won't harm the iPhone, the service, or anything else when you jailbreak it. Hope I helped. It really helps if you actually have your hands on one, everything becomes fairly self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheWang View Post
    No, yes, and yes.

The iPhone already comes with a SIM card. because your friend already used it, you have to restore it when it connects to iTunes. Don't back it up. Then when the setup prompts, choose set up new iPhone. When you do, you can replace a phone in a plan. Just type in your phone number, last 4 digits of SS#, credit card number and all that crap. Then, you should be good to go. You can set up your gmail account on the phone using mail.app and you can sync your contacts right into there using the Contacts flap of the iPhone in iTunes. Remember to have the latest version of iTunes just in case. You can check other threads or youtube vids on how to jailbreak it. It won't harm the iPhone, the service, or anything else when you jailbreak it. Hope I helped. It really helps if you actually have your hands on one, everything becomes fairly self-explanatory.

Thanks for the explanation. I do NOT want to "replace" a phone in a plan and all that. I will only use this iphone prob. on the weekends and want to switch back (swap sims) to my treo for work. How can I set the iphone up for that?

Thanks!

yup that pretty much sums it up i was going to say the same exact thing lol...guess he got to it first lol good luck b00001 =) anything else just repost here i would be glad to help u so would GregTheWang =)

i just restored to 114 and set up as new phone then shut down itunes and itunes helper and ran iplus i have an old att plan that i dont want to get rid of so i just did that

I was just given an iPhone A1203 4GB and I want to set it up to be my main phone on my AT&T account. Do I do it exactly as above?

Thanks

Yes as greg the wang said.
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

I did a restore but his phone number stayed and I saw no set up new phone prompt.

Thanks

More info....such as 3g, s/w did you j/b the phone?

1st gen iPhone, isn't that 2G? 8.0.2.20, Not yet. Can I use it with my current AT&T account as long as I add a data plan or do you know?

I will BRB, have to go pick up my wife and daughter.
    Last edited by Mwwilliams; 2008-12-05 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mwwilliams View Post
    1st gen iPhone, isn't that 2G? 8.0.2.20, Not yet. Can I use it with my current AT&T account as long as I add a data plan or do you know?

I will BRB, have to go pick up my wife and daughter.
    1st Gen. ok what firmware is on the phone? You should be able to pop your at&t sim card in & add a data plan, an you will be in business.

BTW....If his number is still on the phone, you can update to a newer firmware and set the phone up as a new phone by itunes.
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2008-12-05 at 02:13 AM.

Can you tell I'm a noob on this?

Software is 2.2, where do I find firmware?

Thanks

Software also known as Firmware.

You have the newest s/w....Is there a app named Cydia on the screen?

Thanks

No
    OK....Click restore and upload the 2.2 s/w and set the phone up as a new phone.
    Then you can use Quickpwn2.2 to jailbreak.
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2008-12-05 at 04:35 AM.

I loaded my SIM card and it recognized it as a new phone. Until then it came up as his old phone number every time.

Sounds like your home free.

Thanks

Sound like your good to go.

What are my advantages if I jailbreak?

Thanks

What are my advantages if I jailbreak?
    You will be able to use third party apps, gain access to the files on the phone so you can manipulate the phone to your liking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast