Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Canadian iPhone users

  1. #1
    Default Canadian iPhone users
    Hey all, I just wanted to check and see if there are any other iPhone users from Canada on this site. I'm from Edmonton, AB and am a current Rogers subscriber. All i need now is a sweet sweet SIM crack to unlock the phone and i'll be laughing.

    Reply if you're also a Canadian iPhone wannabe user.

  2. #2
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Milton, Ontario
    Posts
    467
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts

    I am in Edmonton as well. Been using an unlocked iPhone for better part of a week now. Everything works great. I love the phone. I am a long time BlackBerry user though, and I definitely like email on the BB better, but the iPhone is so much more. Enjoy your iPhone.

  3. #3
    Hey there I'm an ex n95 user running an iPhone in Ottawa for about 2 weeks now on Rogers. Just could not wait for it to get here officially (and it might be a long wait for that to happen)

  4. #4
    It will never come to Canada. There is no money here for Apple. Look at this way: The TyTN just came out and its 399 with a data plan on either 2 or 3 year contract. That is a 6 month old phone and the TyTN 2 is already out. How many people would actually PLAN on getting an Iphone through Rogers for 399 or 499 or 599 on their "data" plans. The only way they can make money is to sell the Iphone as a stand along product here but then they would have to allow the phone to be unlocked so they can either use Fido or Rogers sim.

    Im getting mine Friday and can't wait to use it.

  5. #5
    Let's be positive.. I'm sure Canada wil get the iPhone, right after we get Video content in itunes and the day after that hell will freeze over

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix42 View Post
    Let's be positive.. I'm sure Canada wil get the iPhone, right after we get Video content in itunes and the day after that hell will freeze over
    Oh I have no doubt we will get it, but it will probably be the year 2015 along with the PS4, Xbox1080 and Zune 10.

  7. #7
    I dont know why its taking so long for iphone to come out in Canada its ridicules.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    I dont know why its taking so long for iphone to come out in Canada its ridicules.
    If you read my post, its the lack of competition here in Canada. In Ontario, there is only TWO GSM carriers and they are owned by the same company. This doesn't create competition to have good data plans which was one stipulation that Apple wanted the carrier to have. Have you ever read the data plans for Rogers? They are stupid and over priced. No one in their right mind would ever consider an Iphone at 399/499/599 for a 3 year contract with one of Rogers data plans. I have no doubt they are working their asses off to get it here so they can start charging all the Canadian people who want the Iphone but their plans just do not meet Apple standards. If they do introduce a more Iphone centric data plan then we are on our way.

    What we need is to introduce another GSM carrier but that would never work, Rogers would charge an arm and a leg for them to use the towers.

    Oh I believe if we can't work out a deal for this generations Iphone, they might try harder for the next generation so they can charge MORE. The Iphone is already at a low rate of 399 and that usually translates into a 299 or 249 with a 3 year contract deal. Next generations would be 599 or more so they can charge 349/399 on a 3 year contract.

    Oh also another "reason" is that Iphone is a trademarked name in Canada so they have to muddle through some legal papers to use the name. If you can that a reason then I think we would be better off importing and hacking.
    Last edited by danman227460; 2007-10-02 at 01:45 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    If you read my post, its the lack of competition here in Canada. In Ontario, there is only TWO GSM carriers and they are owned by the same company. This doesn't create competition to have good data plans which was one stipulation that Apple wanted the carrier to have. Have you ever read the data plans for Rogers? They are stupid and over priced. No one in their right mind would ever consider an Iphone at 399/499/599 for a 3 year contract with one of Rogers data plans. I have no doubt they are working their asses off to get it here so they can start charging all the Canadian people who want the Iphone but their plans just do not meet Apple standards. If they do introduce a more Iphone centric data plan then we are on our way.

    What we need is to introduce another GSM carrier but that would never work, Rogers would charge an arm and a leg for them to use the towers.

    Oh I believe if we can't work out a deal for this generations Iphone, they might try harder for the next generation so they can charge MORE. The Iphone is already at a low rate of 399 and that usually translates into a 299 or 249 with a 3 year contract deal. Next generations would be 599 or more so they can charge 349/399 on a 3 year contract.

    Oh also another "reason" is that Iphone is a trademarked name in Canada so they have to muddle through some legal papers to use the name. If you can that a reason then I think we would be better off importing and hacking.
    I see, even is Australia we have more GSM carriers lol
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

  10. #10
    Canada just sucks when it comes technology.. well taxes too but that's a whole different topic there..

    GSM is on Rogers (who by the way owns Toronto) and the rest of Canada has no choice .. so the data plans are well lets just say a good raping..

    but i don't really care if rogers gets the iphone or not.. i already have it! so why even stress about if Canada will get it or not.. i don't use EDGE enough for it to be a big deal.. ; >

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    If you read my post, its the lack of competition here in Canada. In Ontario, there is only TWO GSM carriers and they are owned by the same company. This doesn't create competition to have good data plans which was one stipulation that Apple wanted the carrier to have. Have you ever read the data plans for Rogers? They are stupid and over priced. No one in their right mind would ever consider an Iphone at 399/499/599 for a 3 year contract with one of Rogers data plans. I have no doubt they are working their asses off to get it here so they can start charging all the Canadian people who want the Iphone but their plans just do not meet Apple standards. If they do introduce a more Iphone centric data plan then we are on our way.

    What we need is to introduce another GSM carrier but that would never work, Rogers would charge an arm and a leg for them to use the towers.

    Oh I believe if we can't work out a deal for this generations Iphone, they might try harder for the next generation so they can charge MORE. The Iphone is already at a low rate of 399 and that usually translates into a 299 or 249 with a 3 year contract deal. Next generations would be 599 or more so they can charge 349/399 on a 3 year contract.

    Oh also another "reason" is that Iphone is a trademarked name in Canada so they have to muddle through some legal papers to use the name. If you can that a reason then I think we would be better off importing and hacking.
    Actually, I'm with Rogers and use Edge all the time (checking email, weather, maps, stuff like like) and haven't come near my data plan limit. For the heavy stuff like downloading from utube and the installer.app site I simply use Wi-Fi. Believe me, there's enough stupid people out there who don't know how to secure their routers, that you can access free Wi-Fi just about anywhere you go.

    Meanwhile, the iPhone is expected to hit Rogers in the first quarter of 2008. The only hangup is regarding Rogers hesitance to offer an unlimited data package, which is an Apple stipulation.

    As for the iphone trademark name, its actually a voip phone service, so I don't think having a device called the same thing would be a big conflict.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Actually, I'm with Rogers and use Edge all the time (checking email, weather, maps, stuff like like) and haven't come near my data plan limit. For the heavy stuff like downloading from utube and the installer.app site I simply use Wi-Fi. Believe me, there's enough stupid people out there who don't know how to secure their routers, that you can access free Wi-Fi just about anywhere you go.

    Meanwhile, the iPhone is expected to hit Rogers in the first quarter of 2008. The only hangup is regarding Rogers hesitance to offer an unlimited data package, which is an Apple stipulation.

    As for the iphone trademark name, its actually a voip phone service, so I don't think having a device called the same thing would be a big conflict.
    Depends on the area for Wifi but thats true, thats why I always look for a smartphone with Wifi. Im just saying payin 45 a month for 1 MB (dont know how much you have) is kinda stupid when AT&T offers a 10 MB one at 25.
    The main thing though is the pricing of the Iphone, I wonder how much Rogers would charge you for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers jacked up the price a bit if they are considering adding an unlimited data plan.
    You may never know about that, people sue people if they think they got a chance. For now, the news coming out has been slow and I wouldn't hold my breath for this generations Iphone to hit Canada, its more likely we see next generations. I could be wrong. Right now Im just enjoying my imported Iphone so Im good.

  13. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    266
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts

    I sold and verified 2 unlocked iphones to a canuck...but that was with 1.0.2
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

  14. #14
    It is not very dificult for canadians to have iphones. I have a Iphone unlocked. I live in Toronto so i just drove to the U.S and bought it at the first apple store i could find. Brought it home and unlocked it.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
    It is not very dificult for canadians to have iphones. I have a Iphone unlocked. I live in Toronto so i just drove to the U.S and bought it at the first apple store i could find. Brought it home and unlocked it.
    I think the Iphone is geared more towards the causal or younger uses, not too many people over 30 would consider an Iphone over a blackberry. Though if they were given a chance to look at one, they might change their minds. Depends on your means. Most people under the age of 18 dont have a valid drivers license, parents wont let them drive that far, parents dont want to drive that far, no money, etc. I would say about 10% of the population knows about the Iphone and how to get one. About that 10% maybe 1-2% know how to unlock it. But I think if you are using this forum, you already OWN an Iphone, or plan on getting one.

  16. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    Depends on the area for Wifi but thats true, thats why I always look for a smartphone with Wifi. Im just saying payin 45 a month for 1 MB (dont know how much you have) is kinda stupid when AT&T offers a 10 MB one at 25.
    With Rogers, there's a 5MB navigate plan for $5 monthly, that's the one I'm using. I think they renamed it to Mobile Internet, ask 'em about it.

    The Treo 680 stated at $850 (no contract) and $349 (3 Yr) so I'm guessing iPhone would be about the same. I guess we'll have to see.

  17. #17
    Oh I didnt know about that one. The reason is because I dont think its even advertised. Where did you hear about that one? I was asking before to get the Curve and they wanted me to sign a $75 data plan + voice plan which is SO overpriced its not even funny to get the special price.

  18. #18
    Iphone user from Ottawa. Love my iphone, hate Rogers.

  19. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    Oh I didnt know about that one. The reason is because I dont think its even advertised. Where did you hear about that one? I was asking before to get the Curve and they wanted me to sign a $75 data plan + voice plan which is SO overpriced its not even funny to get the special price.
    That's the trick. It's not a "Data Plan". Ask them about their "Mobile Internet" plans. There's two, 5MB for $5 and 10MB for $10. Data plans are forced on you when you get a blackberry, treo, etc cause they know the devices are heavy users. But for regular phones, you have the Mobile Internet plans. Go to <http:www.rogers.com> -> Wireless -> Plans & Essentials -> navigate Mobile Internet Plans. It's all there. Or:

    <http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/services/voice/navigate-mobile-internet.asp>

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    That's the trick. It's not a "Data Plan". Ask them about their "Mobile Internet" plans. There's two, 5MB for $5 and 10MB for $10. Data plans are forced on you when you get a blackberry, treo, etc cause they know the devices are heavy users. But for regular phones, you have the Mobile Internet plans. Go to <http:www.rogers.com> -> Wireless -> Plans & Essentials -> navigate Mobile Internet Plans. It's all there. Or:

    <http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/services/voice/navigate-mobile-internet.asp>
    That would be good if you can get one of those phones other than from rogers. To get those prices when you sign a contract, they force you into those plans which is what I can see Rogers doing with the Iphone. Other than that, if you can get the phone outside of Rogers, those internet plans do work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •