Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Canadian iPhone users

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    That would be good if you can get one of those phones other than from rogers. To get those prices when you sign a contract, they force you into those plans which is what I can see Rogers doing with the Iphone. Other than that, if you can get the phone outside of Rogers, those internet plans do work.
    Just get a regular voice plan through Rogers. The Mobile Internet plans are add-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Just get a regular voice plan through Rogers. The Mobile Internet plans are add-ons.
    No I get what the plan is about. Im saying that for Blackberries and Palms they have a 3 year contract plan price but that usually requires you to get a data plan to get the discount. Get what Im talking about? I am afraid that Rogers might do that with the Iphone. Tell you its a 299 phone on a 3 year contract but you MUST sign a data plan. I know for a fact they never advertise that internet plan for users unless you know or ask about it, they all offer a data plan + voice plan. The plan you have would be great if you can get the phone itself prior to signing a deal. You know, import the phone.

Thanks

No I get what the plan is about. Im saying that for Blackberries and Palms they have a 3 year contract plan price but that usually requires you to get a data plan to get the discount. Get what Im talking about? I am afraid that Rogers might do that with the Iphone. Tell you its a 299 phone on a 3 year contract but you MUST sign a data plan. I know for a fact they never advertise that internet plan for users unless you know or ask about it, they all offer a data plan + voice plan. The plan you have would be great if you can get the phone itself prior to signing a deal. You know, import the phone.
    I get ya, like AT&T is pulling right now. You're probably right. And here's a little hint the iPhone might be coming sooner than expected. Rogers just announced today two new data plans, one (which will likely be for the iPhone) is 1GB for $35 monthly. Right now they are saying its for the Sierra wireless card, but that will include other devices down the road.

Got a link for that? 1 GB for 35 a month is MASSIVE. Much bigger than their 25 MB for 99 plan.

Got my iPhone about 3 weeks ago, unlocked it using this site, simple! Using Fido without EDGE at the moment, until better pricing comes out I'll just find a WiFi spot, lots here in Toronto (free stuff or use the Toronto Hydro downtown WiFi net). Canada is still so out of wack on broadband access and pricing, it almost embaressing! Why are we so behind, I do not understand? Is it the lack of good competition? CRTC? It's not that we don't have the infrastructure or the demand, someone is just being really stingy with the MB...

When back in the States, I just slip in my AT&T GoPhone, good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by brv View Post
    Got my iPhone about 3 weeks ago, unlocked it using this site, simple! Using Fido without EDGE at the moment, until better pricing comes out I'll just find a WiFi spot, lots here in Toronto (free stuff or use the Toronto Hydro downtown WiFi net). Canada is still so out of wack on broadband access and pricing, it almost embaressing! Why are we so behind, I do not understand? Is it the lack of good competition? CRTC? It's not that we don't have the infrastructure or the demand, someone is just being really stingy with the MB...

Its mainly the lack of competition. We only have one cable company, one phone company and so on and so forth. Rogers owns pretty much everything in Ontario. Internet, mobile communications and such. If they feel they can keep shutting out people and charging prices, they can. Until a competitive company appears, not gonna happen, its gonna stay that way.
    The thing is that too many people are content being sheeps and less people actually trying to get things done and changed. If you have more people being more vocal, changes might happen. On the other hand, you have to realize that not too many people would use data plans to begin with so that could be a reason. The demand is low so they have no reason to offer different plans. Oh Fido is also owned by Rogers so ya, no competition there. In Ontario, if you can't win, you can swallowed up by the winners. Telus just got bought out a while back too.
    Oh another thing could be cost. Rogers could easily replace EVERYTHING in Toronto with the lastest things BUT would it generate profit?

Thanks

Got a link for that? 1 GB for 35 a month is MASSIVE. Much bigger than their 25 MB for 99 plan.
    Oops, sorry I was told wrong, its $65 for 1GB.

http://www.shoprogers.com/Business/W...emailplans.asp

Quote Originally Posted by brv View Post

Quite simply, its money. The cost to upgrade the entire country would be prohibitive. Rogers has actually started with the installation of 3G technology, however its currently only available in Southern Ontario, including the GTA. Additionally, there's only 3 phones that are currently capable of handling 3G bandwidth, and they offer very little features as of yet.

It's coming.... slowly.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2007-10-03 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Oops, sorry I was told wrong, its $65 for 1GB.

http://www.shoprogers.com/Business/W...emailplans.asp

Quite simply, its money. The cost to upgrade the entire country would be prohibitive. Rogers has actually started with the installation of 3G technology, however its currently only available in Southern Ontario, including the GTA. Additionally, there's only 3 phones that are currently capable of handling 3G bandwidth, and they offer very little features as of yet.

It's coming.... slowly.
    65 is a bit much for the average user. Unless you run a business or a business person, it wouldn't be worth it.

Ye slowly things will come but in the other parts of the world, new technology is already coming out. We are so far behind its not even funny. Though in terms of internet, we are as far behind as USA. In Japan, they have services that hit 10 mbps, we have services that can hit that but they are priced outside of the average user's price range.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey! Other Edmonton owners!

I am from Edmonton as well, but I now live in Arizona so I am using T-Mobile. Lovingggg itt

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default From Vancouver
    I just got my iPhone last night. Bought it unlocked from a guy in town who's sold lots of them.

I'm running on Rogers with no data plan. I had a data plan a while ago on my PocketPC and it's a killer as far as cost is concerned.

There is an interesting rumour going around that Telus is planning on switching from CDMA/TDMA (whatever it is) to GSM early next year. So we might have a carrier other than Rogers.

But given our government's rules and anti-competitive practices, we'll not get iPhone here unless Apple can really swing a bat at them.

I gave up waiting and bought an unlocked one and it's awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Fiction:

"Canadian iPhone users? There are no Canadian iPhone users". Steve Jobs said inquisitively in a recent interview

Thanks

Just wanted to bump the thread up and say hello from Montreal, Quebec! Loving my iPhone on FIDO but not feeling any love from FIDO when it comes to data plans. It is used strictly on wi-fi at the moment.

iPhone user in Toronto right here... it's operating on Fido network. stupid gsm monopoly. but i mever buy locked phones anyway so it doesnt concern me if it comes to canada or not =)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Iphone user from Kingston, Ontario. Love my iphone as well, hate Rogers and there data plans.

I agree with sceptics about Rogers.
    Some disappointing numbers. Data plan 25 bucks buys you 512k for Blackberry (WTF!) and 3MB for other phones like Treo. Extra 1MB over that limit will cost you "merely" 10 bucks for phone like Treo and "only" 30 bucks for Blackberry (again WTF!).
    So in Canada, on Rogers if you get enthusiastic and show off your friends few cool WEB screens on you iPhone you will get a bill that you will faint from. 500 bucks easily. I got bill for over 230 bucks for 7MB data over limit.
    That tells me that Rogers will not give up that kind of "skin them" attitude in exchnage for fame of iPhone

Well, not most, I'm 52 and have an unlocked iPhone at 1.14, see photos. Don't forget that those of us in our 50s have been using computers for 30 years. I've had Sharp Organizers,various Palm PDAs, various Treos, Blackberrys and now the iPhone.

[QUOTE=danman227460;48820]I think the Iphone is geared more towards the causal or younger uses, not too many people over 30 would consider an Iphone over a blackberry. Though if they were given a chance to look at one, they might change their minds. Depends on your means. Most people u
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -iphone-canada.jpg   -page-2.jpg  
    Last edited by naftalim; 2008-03-16 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add photos

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

iphone user from Cambridge Ontario - on Fido and Rogers and Fido suck for Data Plans they are crooks!

My kids have it in Toronto, on Rogers.

hey all! from vancouver but based in singapore at the moment. got my iphone in singapore and it's awesome! the scene is huge.. i am pretty sure jailbreaking the iphone in canada can be done. not sure myself though but i was referred to aa singapore site with tones of iphone chatter... www.hardwarezone.com.sg excuse the 'english' that's a tad hard to understand though.. i do agree with Danman abt the iphone coming into canada... there just isnt any market for it. but then again, it's a huge waiting game we're playing. many other countries are dealing with the same thing guys.. we just have to live with it and work around it. good luck potential iphone owners!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

greetings from iphone in vancouver! i have my iphone so i almost hope it doesnt come here... that being said i hope that by changing my imei i can enjoy unlimited data usage thru rogers, i dont use that much anyway while i'm on the go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast