Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WiFi Issue on Iphone 3G

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default WiFi Issue on Iphone 3G
    I apologize if this is being posted on the wrong thread, I was uncertain which thread to post this on.

All of a sudden from last night, I'am unable to connect any wireless router. Everytime I click to join a unsecured network or my personal router at home, i get the following message "unable to join network". The issue suddenly started to happen from last night, never had this issue before. I have an unlocked and jailbroken iphone 3G. I have tried to reset the network settings but that as not helped my case. Even tried to restart the phone but still nothing. Can anybody recommend their thoughts and ideas on how to solve this? Thank you

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Try resetting network settings. Settings / General / Reset / Reset network settings

Green Apple
    Thanks

I attempted that already, but it still has not helped. I did it a few times actually. I even turned the entire phone on and off but still nothing.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you have not installed anything recently, a fresh restore should fix it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have not installed anything as of recent, a complete restore? that means I would loose everything?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not exactly. After the firmware restore, iTunes can restore from a previous backup, then a sync will restore music, apple apps and the like. Cydia installed tweaks and apps are lost. Usually they are few and easily reinstalled.

Before you attempt any restore, you have any SHSH blobs? They may be needed.
    What version do you want to restore?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have no idea how to perform a fresh restore, any links to guides I can read and follow steps? I do not believe I have any SSH blobs, and i would assume I want to restore it back to my current version. Which would be 4.2.1

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

4.2.1 is easy. No SHSH blobs are needed. Are you a Mac or PC user?
    Give me a few minutes to get home, and post a good tutorial link.

Green Apple
    Thanks

PC user, windows 7. Thank you so much

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Use this tutorial to restore a 3G to 4.2.1: Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 Jailbreak 4.2.1 / 4.2.6 on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch | Redmond Pie

A couple small things to consider:
    If you're with an authorized carrier, uncheck [h]activate in sn0wbreeze, and ultrasn0w is not needed.
    The last sn0wbreeze step, DFU mode can be a tricky. Pay close attention to the instructions and count-down timer.

If all goes well ... you're up and running in no time.
    If not, you can always do it over again. Sometimes I do just for fun .

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks alot for the tutorial, going to be trying it out soon and ill get back to you. Got a few hectic days ahead with school. I will let you know if my wifi issue gets resolved, thanks alot for being a life saver

Green Apple
    Thanks

quick questions before i get started on the tututorial....

1) do i follow the video provided in the link step by step? even though its for the verizon iphone 4 in IOS 4.2.6?
    2) by authorized dealer you mean? i bought my iphone 3g with Fido but now I am with rogers. Do I still have to uncheck active in snowbreeze?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It applies to both GSM 4.2.1 or CDMA 4.2.6 Verizon phones. Just substitute your ipsw (firmware) where necessary.

Ignore the authorized carrier / any SIM stuff for verizon phones. It does not apply - and neither does Ultrasn0w. Uncheck [h]activated.

Did this make it clear? (or clear as mud )

Edit ":::: Re-reading....... a 3G was never on Verizon? I'm sooo confused.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-09-29 at 12:57 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok so I am having an issue now. I followed all the steps on the video. I unchecked the hactivate box. However when I did that, the iphone turned on but only let me make emergency calls. When I opened Itunes it said I had to insert a authorized chip. So i opened snowbreeze and did the whole process again, this time checking the hactivate box. Everything got done, iphones turned on and i managed to restore it, however I have no network service now. My 3G and cellular data seem to be on but no carrier name is coming. I can not even find the carrier option under the settings menu. Now what?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was up till 6am after going through snowbreeze and loosing service. I followed all the steps in the video and i was unable to get any service. Finally going at it for over 6 hours, i got signal. So did a complete restore and yet the same wifi issue seems to be occuring, all that and no result. I even downgraded to 4.1 in the process and didnt have any wifi signal with that firmware either. I assume its some hardware issue now? I dont understand how it was working one day and not the next.