Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone not wanting to boot or restore...

Default iPhone not wanting to boot or restore...
    I am trying to work on a 3GS for a friend and here is my issue:

3GS Black (formerly jailbroken not sure of version) currently will not power on
    iTunes 10.4.1 on Windows 7 64 bit
    iReb r4
    redsn0w_win_0.9.8b7b

Issue: currently phone shows nothing on the screen. I can put it into DFU, iReb DFU, and redsn0w DFU and try and restore both custom and stock firmwares 4.3.5. When it gets to "Preparing phone for restore, the unit beeps like it has been disconnected goes for a few seconds to a minute and then times out with 1601 (stock) or 1600 (custom) errors.

I opened up the unit and cleaned everything. I let it sit without the battery touching the board for > 24hrs, I have even tried a new battery. Still I can only get into DFU, but iTunes knocks it out and then it can not reboot.

I also tried resn0w tether reboot and got nothing.

I have tried all of the things I can find on the web, but I can still not get it to boot.

Any clues or ideas?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

According to iTunes Errors - The iPhone Wiki , it's not in pwnd-DFU mode.

Error 1600

Custom firmware can't be restored on a device with DFU Mode. The software of the iPhone isn't patched. Using iREB, sn0wbreeze, redsn0w, or PwnageTool, you need to enter a pwned DFU Mode. During that process the software gets patched and the custom firmware should run without any problems.

I guess I should have made myself more clear. I used redsn0w and iReb both to enter Pwned DFU mode as well, and still the same thing.

By using redsn0w and modifying my hosts file I can get the 3194 error. now these talks about it being incompatible versions, does that mean I should try other version instead of 4.3.5?
    Last edited by N2DEEP3D; 2011-09-19 at 11:03 PM.

Anyone, anyone....

If I could get the darn thing to reboot I could make it work, but it will just not boot up.

i had the same problem with my 3gs just black screen, but i was able to use redsn0w to put it back in DFU mode and then just loaded 4.3.5. I hope you have battery juice left on the phone to do anything now.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Create a custom firmware for 4.1, set device into pwned dfu mode, and restore to it. If done correctly it would work, it'll be in a functional state at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by brijesh33 View Post
    i had the same problem with my 3gs just black screen, but i was able to use redsn0w to put it back in DFU mode and then just loaded 4.3.5. I hope you have battery juice left on the phone to do anything now.
    I have already tried that. In iTunes once it says "Preparing Phone to be Restored" the phone disconnects and never reconnects. Normally during a restore it will disconnect and then reconnect and then install the firmware, this phone will never reconnect or reboot.

Also, I even tried a new battery and still the same thing. DFU, pwned DFU, it goes in fine, but will not take the firmware or reconnect/reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Create a custom firmware for 4.1, set device into pwned dfu mode, and restore to it. If done correctly it would work, it'll be in a functional state at that point.
    I did Pwned DFU from redsn0w, tried the custom 4.1 from iClarified using Shift+Restore. It then says "Preparing Phone to be Restored, I hear it disconnect and then it gives me either the 1601, 1600, or 3194 errors, but primarily 1601. I verified my firmware was correct for the 3GS thus nullifying the 3194 error, the 1600 and 1601 are communications issues supposedly, but I have tried multiple cables, 3 computers, and re-installed iTunes so many times I probably need to defrag them all.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I don't think iClarified has custom firmwares ... why don't you create one anyhow with Sn0wbreeze? It's better to use one you created yourself. Also, you need to make sure in TinyUmbrella (if you have it) to go to Advanced Options and uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit. Then set into pwned dfu mode, open iTunes, and shift+restore to cFW.

Btw 3194 isn't caused by incorrect fw version, it's caused by not having SHSHs. You wouldn't get 3194 when restoring to 4.1 anyhow as Apple still signs it for 3GS.

1600 errors can be not setting into pwned dfu mode correctly, yes it could mean USB ports and cable issues but I'm more towards that it's a software issue. Try what I suggested above.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I don't think iClarified has custom firmwares ... why don't you create one anyhow with Sn0wbreeze? It's better to use one you created yourself. Also, you need to make sure in TinyUmbrella (if you have it) to go to Advanced Options and uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit. Then set into pwned dfu mode, open iTunes, and shift+restore to cFW.

Try what I suggested above.
    I did exactly what you stated above, and I got the 1601 error in iTunes.

Again as soon as it went to prepare phone it kicked it off and never reconnected.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Did you ensure that after unchecking the box to point to Cydia on exit in TU, you exited TU then opened iTunes?

Have you tried pwned dfu mode with Sn0wbreeze instead o redsn0w and then trying the cFW?

If so this might take a while to figure out

Yes I did uncheck the box in TU and I did close.

I used both for Pwned DFU. First I did it with snowbreeze, second time I did it with redsnow.

I am not a huge apple guy, but this has me totally baffled. Basically the phone will not boot, reboot, reconnect on its own. Like I said I can get it into DFU/Pwned DFU select stock or custom ipsw's and it just disconnects when it goes to restore it.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I wonder why it does this on all the different computers you've tried. Have you tried stock 4.1 (and without pwned dfu with stock fw) yet?

I did not try 4.1, but I tried 4.3.5 and 4.2.1. The thing is the phone just will not boot normally, and I have no idea why or what could be causing it. I am gonna jump on a diff comp and try 4.1 since I have tried it on this one.

I did take it apart again, and the battery is good at 3.7, so it is charging, just nothing visually working.

Thanks

Do like she said...try 4.1......

I tried 4.1 same issue 1601, when it starts to restore it disconnects and never reconnects.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I have no idea...

Try having the phone plugged into the comp, restart the comp and as it is rebooting change the USB cable to a different port. Then try the restore again.

It seems to be consistent with the device and not the computers youre working with ...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Computers and their software can cause weird problems. If Annie's suggestion does not help, if possible try a different computer. Even if it doesn't work, this test isolates the problem to the phone.

i have a iphone 4 , the same problem !!!!!!!!!!1 still not able to make it work ( same 4.3.5
    i tried different computers to , macbook , vista , win7 , nothing , same 1601 and black screen

Sorry I did not reply, but I gave up and basically said the board was damaged due to moisture. It had some inside of it, but the labels had not turned red. It was not my phone, so I did not give it an alcohol bath to see if it would have fixed it.

Thanks for all of the tries.

I now have a 3G I am working on and after 5 attempts it is restoring...