Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Video ringtones without jailbreak?

Default Video ringtones without jailbreak?
    I am an ex-iPhone user... Before you get all medieval on me, hear me out. I used to have an iPhone, but I opted for Android. I still use my iPhone for fun stuff (games and the like).

A friend of a friend asked me if it were possible to make a video into a ringtone and, with me having a jailbroken iPhone, I said yes. His phone is not jailbroken, however, and in all the searching I did, I can't seem to find a way to make a video ringtone without jailbreaking.

In the past, I have found help on this site for all sorts of things, and now I am reaching out to you, the reader. Is it possible to make a video into a ringtone without jailbreaking? Please let me know!

Ok... totally unrelated question, then. The guy whose phone I am working on wants a song to be used as a ringtone. I have it cropped and ready to go, but the iPhone is not synced to my iTunes account. If I sync his phone to my computer to transfer the song clip, will he lose everything on the phone, or will it be put into iTunes on my computer?

(sorry if this seems like a novice question, but I hardly use iTunes anymore, so I can't remember if it will delete everything off the phone or not...)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You should be able to just sync the ringtone under that tab without losing any music. Any ringtones he has may get wiped though. Be wary of what messages iTunes gives you though. If it does say something about erasing content then do not proceed.

That's what I figured. Thanks man! I'll tread with caution!

One other quick question... it asks if I want to erase and sync with this library. It warns that "erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this phone with the contents of this iTunes library". Since I am under the music tab, will it only remove the music that is currently on the phone, or will it do it all? If it's just music, that's cool, cuz he has none on it right now...

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I believe that means just music. Not 100% on that though.

That message means it will replace everything. Try just dragging and dropping the ONE ringtone onto the phone. If you still get the message then yes, it will erase and replace EVERYTHING.
    And since you're in the music tab, the phone will not recognize it as a ringtone but as music in the iPod app. Find a tutorial to change the music file to a ringtone file.
    Last edited by ihatefruit; 2011-09-19 at 07:23 AM.