Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP please- moved system file, stuck in recovery mode

Default HELP please- moved system file, stuck in recovery mode
    I need a bit of help if any of you could be kind enough to help me.

I was trying to free up system memory by moving the system file to /var and leaving a symbolic link in the root directory, but for some reason phone crashed when I deleted system file (was following a tutorial).

So now stuck in recovery loop.

I've got a JB iphone 3GS 16GB on firmware 4.2.1 and baseband 6.15 (phone was unlocked). I also got my shs blobs in tiny umbrella.

best option would be to somehow access my iphone directories and undo the changes and it should boot up hopefully.

What should I do thanks in advance

Default HELP please- moved system file, stuck in recovery mode
    duplicate post
    Last edited by legendstig; 2011-09-19 at 02:39 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you can't SSH into it in the condition that it is in now, you're likely looking at needing to restore.

So if you're going to restore, and you said you have SHSHs saved in TU, well if you have 4.2.1 SHSHs create a custom 4.2.1 fw with Sn0wbreeze (PwnageTool on Mac). Open TU, start the TSS server, open iTunes, shift (option on Mac) + restore to custom 4.2.1. Then you should be all set. I would avoid restoring from backup though unless you have a backup prior to you moving the files.

Hey yh thanks. Don't have backup anyway, so will restore by creating custom 4.2.1 ipsw and restoring threw itunes.

ps never restored before, but im guessing everything will return to stock correct?

Was hoping to not have to restore

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If you use a custom fw it won't be stock. That's technically jailbreaking the phone.

Try exiting recovery through TU if you haven't already, if it doesn't work then you have to restore.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Exit recovery only works on 4.1 and below, fix recovery is for 4.2.1+ regardless, the recovery mode wasn't induced by a restore process so it likely won't work. A file probably needs to be some place and it's not bc it was moved, so the likely solution is a restore.

I actually used exit recovery on 4.3.3 a few days ago and it worked fine o.o but yeah, I guess restore is the only option

Yes had to do restore had all packages backed up with pkgbackup *****mod edit****** on dropbox, but for some reason when I restore I get the contacts back but none of the cydia packages. Why is that?

And last question I had 4mb of system memory left, why is that? I read that I shouldn't use it all up?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No cracked app / warez / piracy discussion allowed on MMi.

Thread closed.