Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS 4.1 keeps crashing

Default iPhone 3GS 4.1 keeps crashing
    Hi there. I was wondering if you could help me with an issue I'm having with my device.

After some recent syncs with itunes from which I managed to copy a song into the ipod library and some apps off the iphone, all of a sudden it starts crashing constantly. Then, the iPhone goes into safe mode. If I hit restart, and it restarts into the normal springboard, it crashes after 3 seconds. If I stay within safe mode, the iphone crashes after a minute or two. If the iPhone is in airplane mode, then it stays a bit longer alive, until it crashes. I haven't installed any recent cydia packages.

The thing is, I managed to install crash reporter after the crash streak as instructed on the saurik website and managed to pull the crash reports and logs from one such crash.

file 1

file 2

If someone can make something out of either of those logs, and tell me if an app has caused the crash, or a way to repair it, please read them and tell me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yahoo (Y! Messenger) is failing .. Not sure if this is the primary failure.

Remove Yahoo, also Remove the last several Cydia apps and tweaks -- and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Yahoo (Y! Messenger) is failing .. Not sure if this is the primary failure.

Remove Yahoo, also Remove the last several Cydia apps and tweaks -- and try again.

I have uninstalled the app in question, but unfortunately the problem persists in roughly the same fashion (it stays in normal mode an extra second or two). Also, I have no idea about my recent cydia tweaks since all of them were installed at least months ago.

The new logs are here (the second one one third smaller, so Y! Messenger might have given the system a headache).

crash log 2

syslog
    Last edited by venom4u31; 2011-09-15 at 12:24 PM.

I did a restore to 4.1, the same firmware. I used a custom firmware modified by sn0wbreeze 2.1. It did restore, but now wi-fi and bluetooth do not work. They are greyed out, each button stating that I have no wi-fi and no bluetooth. Also, even though I have no sim card, the phone keeps searching for a carrier instead of stating "no sim card".

These simptoms were the same as they were before the iphone was restored, but I only had time to notice them in safe mode, so I thought they were normal things to experience when the phone was in safe mode (kind of like when the pc is in safe mode, no driver is working).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Airplane mode will disable all networks. Check that airplane mode is off.

What is the baseband? Settings / General / About / Modem Firmware:

After the 4.1 restore, is it still crashing to safe mode?

Airplane mode will disable all networks. Check that airplane mode is off.

What is the baseband? Settings / General / About / Modem Firmware:

After the 4.1 restore, is it still crashing to safe mode?
    The airplane mode was on. And off, I tried either way. If I go to about, the modem firmware (baseband) section is blank, the wi-fi address says N/A and Bluetooth address section says 00:00:00:00:00:00.

Before that the baseband version was 5.14.02 and it was this way for months.

Also, the restore was made with a customised firmware, so the baseband should have been preserved.

LE. Sorry, didn't read the last section. After restoring the phone was supposedly jailbroken. However, even if the cydia icon is present, programs such as ifunbox see the iphone as unjailbroken, so no access to the filesystem is provided. The phone still crashes, just as it would have been in safemode, but now it is not in safemode. It does not enter safemode when it crashes (probably because the bundle was not installed), instead it restarts straight away; again, in two minutes, just like before the restore, when the phone was in safemode. Also, since ifunbox is unable to enter the phone's filesystem, I can't install anything on cydia (since wi-fi is not working either).
    Last edited by venom4u31; 2011-09-15 at 03:48 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Where did you get the custom firmware?

Where did you get the custom firmware?
    I edited my last post, you might wanna check it out.

The firmware was collected from felixbruns.de. Sn0wbreeze 2.1 was downloaded from ih8sn0w.com. The firmware was customized using sn0wbreeze 2.1 and the respective firmware. The restore was done using itunes 10.3.1.55. The restore had some problems, because I did not change the hosts file in system32/drivers/etc, but from the third try, it restored properly. Before the restore with the customized firmware, the iPhone was restored 9 months ago or something like that with an official 4.1 firmware, and was jailbroken with limera1n this spring I think, as soon as it became available.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If I understand correctly, you downloaded the official iOS 4.1 from felixbruns.de?
    Then used Sn0wbreeze 2.1 to build a custom firmware?
    Did you use Sm0wbreeze Simple Mode?

No extra bundles or anything else is required with Sn0wbreeze.

If I understand correctly, you downloaded the official iOS 4.1 from felixbruns.de?
    Then used Sn0wbreeze 2.1 to build a custom firmware?
    Did you use Sm0wbreeze Simple Mode?

No extra bundles or anything else is required with Sn0wbreeze.
    Yes you understood correctly.

I used sn0wbreeze in expert mode, but it isn't that complicated. In the first screen, except for the installation of SSH on my phone, there was nothing I could have modified. I did not select any deb file to be installed to the ipsw, and that was it. Ireb (last version, also downloaded from ih8sn0w) was required to bypass the 1600 error in Itunes, and that's all I used.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Something is amiss, so let's eliminate all potential problems.

Re-download the official iOS 4.1 from a different source (MMi firmware link below)
    Also download redsn0w 0.9.6rc18.

Build a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze using Simple Mode and stop.
    Don't enter pwnd-DFU mode w/Sn0wbreeze. Exit Sn0wbreeze.

Start redsn0w, select 4.1, select one (1) option ' just enter pwnd-DFU mode'
    Verify redsn0w shows success.

Now shift/select restore the custom firmware (by Sn0wbreeze) with iTunes.

No errors are expected.

Something is amiss, so let's eliminate all potential problems.

Re-download the official iOS 4.1 from a different source (MMi firmware link below)
    Also download redsn0w 0.9.6rc18.

Build a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze using Simple Mode and stop.
    Don't enter pwnd-DFU mode w/Sn0wbreeze. Exit Sn0wbreeze.

Start redsn0w, select 4.1, select one (1) option ' just enter pwnd-DFU mode'
    Verify redsn0w shows success.

Now shift/select restore the custom firmware (by Sn0wbreeze) with iTunes.

No errors are expected.
    I did exactly as you told me.

I grabbed the ipsw from this link: iPhone 3GS 4.1 - Downloads - ModMyi Forums

Unfortunately, iphone dev-team only posted a link for redsn0w 0.9.6rc19 instead of redsn0w 0.9.6rc18 so I used one downloaded from iphone dev-team a while back when the ultra-recycle post was published.

I started sn0wbreeze and customized the firmware in simple mode, leaving the program immediately after the customization was complete, giving the program no chance to put my device in dfu mode.

I started redsn0w and selected the uncustomized 4.1 firmware (as I couldn't select the customized firmware. It simply would not recognize it). Then a message box asked me if the iPhone was a newer model (new bootrom) and I selected no (the iPhone is more than 2 years old). Then, on the next screen I selected the bottom option (to just put my iPhone in pwned dfu mode), deselecting the first one (which prompted cydia installation). On the next screen I followed precisely their instructions to put my iphone in dfu mode, and then I clicked finish.

Next, I opened up Itunes, clicked restore while holding down left shift and then restored using the customized firmware I just made.

After all that, the iPhone restarted and unfortunately came back to the exact same symptoms as described by me prior to this restore.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hmm. It appears it restored, however success was not the result.

Use F0recase to verify old or new bootrom.
    Also check using the s/n:
    digit 1&2 = ignore
    digit 3 == year (9=2009, 0=2010, 1=2011)
    digit 4&5 == week (01 == week 1, 26 == week 26)

Old: before xx940
    New: xx945 and higher (xx0xx is higher )
    xx940 thru xx944 vary

Most phones have new bootrom, use the above two methods to verify yours.

Hmm. It appears it restored, however success was not the result.

Use F0recase to verify old or new bootrom.
    Also check using the s/n:
    digit 1&2 = ignore
    digit 3 == year (9=2009, 0=2010, 1=2011)
    digit 4&5 == week (01 == week 1, 26 == week 26)

Old: before xx940
    New: xx945 and higher (xx0xx is higher )
    xx940 thru xx944 vary

Most phones have new bootrom, use the above two methods to verify yours.
    I assure you I am sure it is the old bootrom. I used forecast a year ago when trying to jailbreak the iPhone running 3.1.3 and it specifically told me it was the old bootrom. The phone was bought in august 2009, I bought it, it's not second hand. Besides, I ran forecast again with the same result now.

LE: my serial number is xx932 by the way.
    Last edited by venom4u31; 2011-09-15 at 08:20 PM.

It may be a problem with my baseband indeed. Some files may be corrupted. However, when I tried to install 4.1 from an official firmware (5.14.02 is the 4.1's corresponding baseband), it stopped right at the end of the restore. The bar was almost full on my iPhone, and so it stayed for 5 minutes until iTunes prompted me with the 1002 error (which is documented as having no bluetooth serial number or wi-fi address). I got out of the recovery mode loop (in which that restore made my iphone go) with iREB and jailbraked the phone with redsn0w. The slightly better part is that now cydia is installed and iFunbox recognizes my phone as jailbroken so I can enter any folder and install apps on cydia. I tried installing ultrasn0w but no difference.

Maybe the restore was not successfull because my baseband's firmware could not be overwritten. Maybe this information would give you some ideas.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do you have any SHSH blobs? Like 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 back in the olden golden days

If possible, I would try an early version ... in an attempt to get 'something' to fully work.
    If successful ... some confidence is gained that a later version restore is possible.

FYI: For 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 iOS, restore with stock iOS firmware w/iTunes.
    No errors are expected. Jailbreak w/redsn0w 0.9.4 pointing to 3.1.2.

I believed your problem is the corrupted baseband. I fixed a 3GS like this not long ago. Beside no wifi and no Bluetooth, IMEI number and Modem Firmware are also blank. What I did was using snowbreeze to create 4.3.3 custom firmware and selected ipad baseband option then using itunes to install the custom firmware. After itunes finished your phone should be in recovery mode, then used Ireb to put the phone into DFU mode then use redsnow to jailbreak with 4.1 (select install cydia only since ipad baseband had been installed). You should got error 1015 then use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery. Everything should work after that, you can get into cydia to install ultrasnow for unlock.
    Last edited by dannyt; 2011-09-15 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
    I believed your problem is the corrupted baseband. I fixed a 3GS like this not long ago. Beside no wifi and no Bluetooth, IMEI number and Modem Firmware are also blank. What I did was using snowbreeze to create 4.3.3 custom firmware and selected ipad baseband option then using itunes to install the custom firmware. After itunes finished your phone should be in recovery mode, then used Ireb to put the phone into DFU mode then use redsnow to jailbreak with 4.1 (select install cydia only since ipad baseband had been installed). You should got error 1015 then use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery. Everything should work after that, you can get into cydia to install ultrasnow for unlock.
    If you have put the ipad baseband on the iphone, did the GPS work?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

GPS is lost forever after installing the iPad 6.15 baseband.

@dannyt may be correct, and you baseband is corrupted.

BUT I recommend ..... exhaust other avenues (ie: 3.1.3) beforehand.

GPS is lost forever after installing the iPad 6.15 baseband.

@dannyt may be correct, and you baseband is corrupted.

BUT I recommend ..... exhaust other avenues (ie: 3.1.3) beforehand.
    I definitely agree with you. This is what I'm trying to do, but I have to bypass error 3194 somehow.
    What dannyt might have done is just updating the baseband, but then any restore to an iTunes official firmware would be impossible. And restoring to an Itunes official firmware is a key thing to do if such an issue appears.

For example, I can easily update to 4.2 and update my baseband a little (5.14.02 is unlockable only through ipad baseband flashing anyway) and solve the problem, much like he did. But what if that iPhone dannyt had repaired would crash again in the same fashion (knock on wood)? Then the situation would have been without an exit.

Still it's good to keep in mind, updating the baseband might solve the problem, but i'll try downgrading to 3.1.3, as soon as I bypass error 3194 somehow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast