Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 on 4.3.3 Keeps dropping into DFU after custom restore. Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

Default iPhone 4 on 4.3.3 Keeps dropping into DFU after custom restore. Whisky Tango Foxtrot!
    Decided to sell my iP4 running 4.3.3 since the 4s/5 will be announced in a few weeks and I wanna get max value out of my 4. Bought a broken glass 3GS for $30 and popped new glass in and I'm rocking that for a few weeks (sucks). Anyway....

I saved my 4.3.3 files right when 4.3.3 came out. So I did a custom restore to 4.3.3 to wipe all my info and such off the phone so I could sell it. It restored fine until iTunes pops up the message that says "your iPhone has been restored to factory settings and will restart etc....." Instead of restarting it dropped into DFU. Odd but whatever. So I booted it up using redsn0w's "boot tethered" option and it came right on. Thought I was in the clear. Not so much. Made it sleep and it didn't wake up. Plugged it in and DFU mode again!!

Tried a clean install of 433 (not pwnage custom FW) and I get error 1013 even with TU's TSS server running. Re-ran custom FW thru pwnage and same exact thing. Upgraded to 4.3.5 thru Apple and its running like a charm since.

Anyone experienced this and/or have a fix? Really strange to me. Done hundreds (if not thousands) of restores like this over the years and never had this issue. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Tick update iPhone 4 bb in TU and restore using tss server to stock 4.3.3 again.

What happened is for whatever reason you didnt get your shsh blobs on the phone. If you used a custom firmware that means you put into a pwnd dfu state which allowed the firmware to restore without the blobs. redsnow bypassed the checks when it booted tetherd. The lame part is that it is very unstable like that and randomly will fall back into dfu mode. just make sure you do the steps right when you restore again. good luck buddy

Quote Originally Posted by harner818 View Post
    What happened is for whatever reason you didnt get your shsh blobs on the phone. If you used a custom firmware that means you put into a pwnd dfu state which allowed the firmware to restore without the blobs. redsnow bypassed the checks when it booted tetherd. The lame part is that it is very unstable like that and randomly will fall back into dfu mode. just make sure you do the steps right when you restore again. good luck buddy
    I did it the same way I've always done it and with success so I'm not sure why anything would change on this one phone. I have the files saved thru Cydia and on my MBP. If I don't do use custom firmware, I get error 1013 and if I don't do owned DFU I get error 1600 (predictably). So......?

And the baseband thing shouldn't matter since I'm restoring from 433 to 433. Plus 433 and 435 both have the same baseband anyway. In Pwnage it won't let me enable baseband update, it is grayed out so I can't check/uncheck it.

Edit: and when I set my hosts to Cydia (and don't run TSS server in TU), I get 1013 still. So I don't see how I can restore to 433 without owned DFU or custom FW.
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 2011-09-13 at 04:08 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    ...Edit: and when I set my hosts to Cydia (and don't run TSS server in TU), I get 1013 still. So I don't see how I can restore to 433 without owned DFU or custom FW.
    TU + TSS server have replaced Cydia as the shsh authorization server. Automatic shsh collection, storage, and retrieval remain, but serving up the blobs should be done with TU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    TU + TSS server have replaced Cydia as the shsh authorization server. Automatic shsh collection, storage, and retrieval remain, but serving up the blobs should be done with TU.
    Yes. I did that and it gets me the phone restored but it just drops into DFU with custom FW or gets me error 1013 with normal FW. See OP

What I don't get is why I get error 1013 without the custom FW but don't get it when it is custom FW. I thought 1013 was just a host issue?
    Last edited by jdm.accord; 2011-09-13 at 07:42 PM.

It is a host problem and i found a link that explains it better than i can.
    My Gadget: [HOW-TO] - Fix iTunes Error 1013 When Updating iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3.1 [SOLVED]

However I can explain that the reason you dont get the 1013 error on custom firmware is because your iboot is pwned and ipsw can get by all checks. the stock ipsw on the other hand will set off all the alarms. The other thing is when you restore to an older ipsw make sure the blobs are saved locally on your computer. Uncheck the request from cydia and also the point at cydia upon closing one apple did somethin to block cydia out start tss and then restore if one of those was wrong that would explain the dfu loop. It could also have a a corrupt file in the ipsw as well. hopefully that all made sense lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks. Made sense to me A custom firmware is your friend and gs.apple.com your enemy.

Well when you put it it that way lol seems so simple! But ya that's the jist of it. If you ever get stuck again let me know cause Lord knows I've been there a few times. Haha Plus for some reason I enjoy trying to figure that stuff out.