Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Access memory while in "connect to itunes, slide for emergency" screen?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Access memory while in "connect to itunes, slide for emergency" screen?
    Hey everybody,

Is there any way to access the memory of my iPhone 4 (4.3.3) while its in the "connect to iTunes. Slide for emergency" screen? I was JB on 4.2.1 and my phone suddenly said it needed to be restored (out of the blue) and had the above screen, so I restored it, downgraded to 4.3.3 (because the restore automatically gave it the latest OS) and re jailbroke untethered with the AWESOME jailbreakme.com.

Anyway, a few weeks later, out of the blue again, it says "you cannot make or receive calls and need to restore your phone". WiFi was still working so I should have SSH'd my recent pictures out of there, restored, downgraded and JB'd again, but I made the mistake of turning it off in order to try when I got home. So when I turned it back on, it has the screen with the usb cord pointing to iTunes that you get.

I know when I restore, I will lose everything after the last backup. I know how to restore, downgrade and JB again, no problem. I have tried to put it in DFU and kick it out of recovery mode using TinyUmbrella, but because I took some wicked photos of my kids at a family pig roast and my daughter's first day of school, I was hoping to explore every avenue of getting those photos before I restore.

Any ideas? SSH won't work because it's not going onto my home wifi network. iFunBox doesn't work on mac, DiskAid and iPhoneExplorer don't work on my mac (its an OLD PowerMac PPC on 10.4). I can go to my sister in law's house and use her new mac (which is where I back it up) but I have the kids for the weekend and it's a pain.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    If it works for you, hit the "thanks" button please.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Try Cyberduck. When my friend's iPhone got stuck in a boot loop, I was able to still SSH into it. But that was because I was initially already connected on the Macbook so I don't know if that matters. All I can say is try to SSH in with Cyberduck as that was what worked for me before. However, if that doesn't work, and you can't kick it out of recovery, you might just have to bite the bullet and lose your info.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks Annie, tried fugu, but no joy.

Guess what? I plugged 'er in just to charge it up so I could mess with it tomorrow at my sister in law's and iPhoto opened up and asked if I wanted to import all photo's on "Len's iPhone 4", so I clicked yes, and voila! All my pics were there and are now on my mac.

I can restore, downgrade to 4.3.3 and jailbreak again.

I have the pictures of my kids at the pig roast and all is right with the world.....

Have a good weekend people!

Interesting to see that even though iTunes says it can't read any info on the phone, that iPhoto can. thats a "huh" for you.
    If it works for you, hit the "thanks" button please.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I forgot about iPhoto! Yeah I noticed on my Mac even when in DFU or recovery mode, iPhoto will still sync for me.

Good stuff although other people have more like texts or contacts etc that aren't backed up, then nothing much can be done if all of the above had been exhausted. Glad it worked out for you!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LennyTheDub (2011-09-11)