Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Phone is very laggy

Default Phone is very laggy
    Obviously jailbroken, used green poison, running on 4.2.1.

About a week or 2 ago my phone started lagging pretty bad. For instance, when I double

tap my home button it takes about 3 secs for my multi tasking bar to come up and when

I try to delete them it sometimes freezes up and takes 15-20 secs to delete some of

them. When I change themes in winter board and hit respring it doesn't just respring like

it used to, it will freeze up for about a min and then the phone will reboot instead of

respring. When I hit my lock button it sometimes takes 10 secs for my phone to shut

off.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I went back and deleted the last pkg. or 2

from cydia I downloaded as well as a bunch of others I no longer use and that did not

help.

Any suggestions

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

With limited memory, the 2G iPhone on iOS 4.2.1 is a bit slow anyway.
    Adding Cydia apps & tweaks will slow it down even more. The more added, the slower it gets.
    If you want or need to run 4.2.1, keep the Cydia apps and tweaks to a bare minimum.

Most agree the best overall 2G iOS is 3.1.3.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I agree. If it is an iPhone 3G it should do better on 3.1.3. Of course that is a limitation in itself, as many apps now require iOS 4. With that, I'd say any user presented with this problem should either 1) downgrade to 3.1.x or 2) upgrade to an iPhone 3GS or 4

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I agree. If it is an iPhone 3G it should do better on 3.1.3. Of course that is a limitation in itself, as many apps now require iOS 4. With that, I'd say any user presented with this problem should either 1) downgrade to 3.1.x or 2) upgrade to an iPhone 3GS or 4
    I have an iphone4

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Lol then that's not normal restore is necessary then if removing Cydia apps/tweaks haven't helped.

Lol then that's not normal restore is necessary then if removing Cydia apps/tweaks haven't helped.

Thanks. Now let me ask you this, I have never restored my phone, what is the best way to do it and will I have to repurchase all my themes and tweaks and stuff? Do I have to upgrade from 4.2.1 when I restore and is there a jailbreak for it?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nnfdcane View Post
    I have an iphone4
    Wow. It's in bad shape Time to start over.

If you installed mcleaner from cydia then remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by bestinn View Post
    If you installed mcleaner from cydia then remove it.
    Thanks but I have never installed that

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Do you have SHSHs saved? That's really important in regards to restoring. If not, since you're on 4.2.1 go grab iFaith and save SHSHs for 4.2.1 now before proceeding with anything else.

Your themes and Cydia purchases do not have to be purchased again. You have set up an account on Cydia right? Just login and redownload what you've bought.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

nnfdcane (2011-09-01)

Do you have SHSHs saved? That's really important in regards to restoring. If not, since you're on 4.2.1 go grab iFaith and save SHSHs for 4.2.1 now before proceeding with anything else.

Your themes and Cydia purchases do not have to be purchased again. You have set up an account on Cydia right? Just login and redownload what you've bought.
    Thanks. Whats the best jailbreak to use? Jailbreakme.com?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You're getting a little ahead of yourself. You need to find out what SHSHs you have available. Jailbreakme is for 4.3.3 only

Ok so do I have to do this SHSHs or can I simply hook my phone up and hit restore and update to the newest firmware and re jailbreak?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's necessary to have SHSHs or you can't restore to anything except 4.3.5. Go get TinyUmbrella and click Save SHSHs and see what you have.

Do I not want 4.3.5?
    Sorry for all the dumb questions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Jailbreakme is only for 4.3.3 and 4.3.5 is identical to 4.3.3 except they patched the jailbreakme vulnerability. So in short.. no you do not want 4.3.5.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

nnfdcane (2011-09-01)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You wouldn't want 4.3.5, or 4.3.4 either. That's why you wanna find out if you have SHSHs so you can safely restore or upgrade to 4.2.1, or 4.3.3. If I were you I would just restore to 4.2.1. It's probably the better version to be on.

If TinyUmbrella doesn't show you SHSHs for 4.2.1, it is still possible for you to save it bc you are still on 4.2.1 right now. So I suggest you go find out

20. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

nnfdcane (2011-09-01)

You wouldn't want 4.3.5, or 4.3.4 either. That's why you wanna find out if you have SHSHs so you can safely restore or upgrade to 4.2.1, or 4.3.3. If I were you I would just restore to 4.2.1. It's probably the better version to be on.

If TinyUmbrella doesn't show you SHSHs for 4.2.1, it is still possible for you to save it bc you are still on 4.2.1 right now. So I suggest you go find out
    Ok, I downloaded tiny umbrella, saved it, it shows 4.2.1 through 4.3.5 saved. So how do I go about restoring from here? I see it says to restore your device using shsh press start TSS server.
    Again I have never had to do this so thanks for all your help.

I thought I had it figured out after watching some youtube vids. I ran tinyumbrella, put my phone in DFU, held option clicked on restore in itunes and picked 4.2.1 but it says that firmware is not compatible???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you are using stock firmware, make sure you download the correct firmware, don't confuse 3g with 3gs

If your iphone is 2g, highest is 3.1.3 and you don't need TU at all.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-09-02 at 12:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast