Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Phone is very laggy

  1. #1
    Default Phone is very laggy
    Obviously jailbroken, used green poison, running on 4.2.1.

    About a week or 2 ago my phone started lagging pretty bad. For instance, when I double

    tap my home button it takes about 3 secs for my multi tasking bar to come up and when

    I try to delete them it sometimes freezes up and takes 15-20 secs to delete some of

    them. When I change themes in winter board and hit respring it doesn't just respring like

    it used to, it will freeze up for about a min and then the phone will reboot instead of

    respring. When I hit my lock button it sometimes takes 10 secs for my phone to shut

    off.

    Has anyone else ever had this problem? I went back and deleted the last pkg. or 2

    from cydia I downloaded as well as a bunch of others I no longer use and that did not

    help.

    Any suggestions

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    With limited memory, the 2G iPhone on iOS 4.2.1 is a bit slow anyway.
    Adding Cydia apps & tweaks will slow it down even more. The more added, the slower it gets.
    If you want or need to run 4.2.1, keep the Cydia apps and tweaks to a bare minimum.

    Most agree the best overall 2G iOS is 3.1.3.

  3. #3
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I agree. If it is an iPhone 3G it should do better on 3.1.3. Of course that is a limitation in itself, as many apps now require iOS 4. With that, I'd say any user presented with this problem should either 1) downgrade to 3.1.x or 2) upgrade to an iPhone 3GS or 4

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I agree. If it is an iPhone 3G it should do better on 3.1.3. Of course that is a limitation in itself, as many apps now require iOS 4. With that, I'd say any user presented with this problem should either 1) downgrade to 3.1.x or 2) upgrade to an iPhone 3GS or 4
    I have an iphone4

  5. #5
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Lol then that's not normal restore is necessary then if removing Cydia apps/tweaks haven't helped.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Lol then that's not normal restore is necessary then if removing Cydia apps/tweaks haven't helped.

    Thanks. Now let me ask you this, I have never restored my phone, what is the best way to do it and will I have to repurchase all my themes and tweaks and stuff? Do I have to upgrade from 4.2.1 when I restore and is there a jailbreak for it?

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nnfdcane View Post
    I have an iphone4
    Wow. It's in bad shape Time to start over.

  8. #8
    If you installed mcleaner from cydia then remove it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bestinn View Post
    If you installed mcleaner from cydia then remove it.
    Thanks but I have never installed that

  10. #10
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Do you have SHSHs saved? That's really important in regards to restoring. If not, since you're on 4.2.1 go grab iFaith and save SHSHs for 4.2.1 now before proceeding with anything else.

    Your themes and Cydia purchases do not have to be purchased again. You have set up an account on Cydia right? Just login and redownload what you've bought.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    nnfdcane (2011-09-01)

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Do you have SHSHs saved? That's really important in regards to restoring. If not, since you're on 4.2.1 go grab iFaith and save SHSHs for 4.2.1 now before proceeding with anything else.

    Your themes and Cydia purchases do not have to be purchased again. You have set up an account on Cydia right? Just login and redownload what you've bought.
    Thanks. Whats the best jailbreak to use? Jailbreakme.com?

  13. #12
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    You're getting a little ahead of yourself. You need to find out what SHSHs you have available. Jailbreakme is for 4.3.3 only

  14. #13
    Ok so do I have to do this SHSHs or can I simply hook my phone up and hit restore and update to the newest firmware and re jailbreak?

  15. #14
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    It's necessary to have SHSHs or you can't restore to anything except 4.3.5. Go get TinyUmbrella and click Save SHSHs and see what you have.

  16. #15
    Do I not want 4.3.5?
    Sorry for all the dumb questions

  17. #16
    Retired Moderator Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,264
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Jailbreakme is only for 4.3.3 and 4.3.5 is identical to 4.3.3 except they patched the jailbreakme vulnerability. So in short.. no you do not want 4.3.5.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

    nnfdcane (2011-09-01)

  19. #17
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    You wouldn't want 4.3.5, or 4.3.4 either. That's why you wanna find out if you have SHSHs so you can safely restore or upgrade to 4.2.1, or 4.3.3. If I were you I would just restore to 4.2.1. It's probably the better version to be on.

    If TinyUmbrella doesn't show you SHSHs for 4.2.1, it is still possible for you to save it bc you are still on 4.2.1 right now. So I suggest you go find out

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    nnfdcane (2011-09-01)

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You wouldn't want 4.3.5, or 4.3.4 either. That's why you wanna find out if you have SHSHs so you can safely restore or upgrade to 4.2.1, or 4.3.3. If I were you I would just restore to 4.2.1. It's probably the better version to be on.

    If TinyUmbrella doesn't show you SHSHs for 4.2.1, it is still possible for you to save it bc you are still on 4.2.1 right now. So I suggest you go find out
    Ok, I downloaded tiny umbrella, saved it, it shows 4.2.1 through 4.3.5 saved. So how do I go about restoring from here? I see it says to restore your device using shsh press start TSS server.
    Again I have never had to do this so thanks for all your help.

  22. #19
    I thought I had it figured out after watching some youtube vids. I ran tinyumbrella, put my phone in DFU, held option clicked on restore in itunes and picked 4.2.1 but it says that firmware is not compatible???

  23. #20
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    If you are using stock firmware, make sure you download the correct firmware, don't confuse 3g with 3gs

    If your iphone is 2g, highest is 3.1.3 and you don't need TU at all.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-09-02 at 12:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •