Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replace JB iP4 while still under warranty?

Default Replace JB iP4 while still under warranty?
    Been having home button issues with my jailbroken iPhone4. I've had the device for 11.5 months and thus have the option to get a replacement from Apple. I don't have any reason to change phones but this problem keeps getting worse and more aggravating so I believe I'd like to exchange while still under warranty.

I imagine it's just a crap-shot as to what firmware and iOS my next one will be right? I'm bummed as I'm still rocking 4.0.2 and 1.59 and have all SHSH blobs saved, which I believe would help with resale value down the road, but nothing I can do about that now right?

I know I need to remove the JB before I return to Apple, would the easiest way just be to let iTunes upgrade to a newer version? Anything else I need to do to remove JB fingerprints?

Any other thoughts on replacing under warranty I should know about? Anybody else have home button issues? (Doesn't always register click, sometimes registers as double...)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

To remove the jailbreak you can just update it to the latest firmware in itunes. It will suck to lose your firmware and especially that baseband though. You could always try to get someone to repair it for you.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

+1. amazing baseband to have there, resale value would be better than any other iPhone 4 without. Definitely see if anybody can fix it for cheap.

Hmm, interesting update and question for you guys. Received new iPhone with 4.3.5, but after running TinyUmbrella looks like this phone somehow has 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2b3 and 4.3.3 all saved!

I assume then this must have been a prior jailbroken but refurbished phone? Does that happen often?

Really my only question is if this is legit, what's the best way to downgrade to 4.3.3? Any tutorials available I can follow?

Thanks!

Yep. Apple state they don't supply refurbs and that all faulty phones are returned to factory and stripped and parts tested. Parts can then be re-used. IMO this is refurbing but guess apple and I have a different view on things. Seems like you got lucky and have a previously jail broken mother board!

Also if you look at your serial number it'll begin with 5K....

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I was under the impression Apple does do refurbed iPhones. They have it listed on AT&T for a much cheaper price labeled as Refurbished iPhone 4 or 3GS.

Thanks

Wow did u get lucky! Yeah, I have 'replacement' 3GS and found out just yesterday that it's a refurb! Apple store girl lied to me! I specifically asked that question. She said it was new. Oh well... It works...for now.

Yeah that's how I found out...my 3GS starts in 5K. That means refurb from what I've read..

Well alrighty then!

How about that downgrade? Any tutorials I can follow out there?