Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: When looking to buy used iphone 4, does it matter firmware?

Default When looking to buy used iphone 4, does it matter firmware?
    I am looking to upgrade my 3gs to 4g and am searching ebay, and places but as I am learning more about jailbreaking my own idevices, I am wondering if I should ask sellers to specify the current firmware. If they have updated to 4.3.5, can it be downgraded for jailbreaking? I read that this cannot be done without the SHSH blobs, not sure what this is or how to get them saved. Apparently this is something I need to do with my current phone? What are they and how to I save them and would a iphone 4 bought from someone else who is on 4.3.5 be unjailbreakable?

Thanks

SHSH Blob is a signature file which is verified against Apple Server to verify the the iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. If for some reason, when you are trying to restore to a previous version, Apple will not allow you to restore it becuase, you are trying load a older version of iOS. To make this possible, we need to send a request to a different server (Local or designated) which sends a SHSH blob (which was saved by you) back to iTunes faking that its the current version.

Regarding your eBay questions. I would ask the seller to specify the firmware that the iDevice that is up for sale is running, just so you can get an idea of which phones are able to be jailbroken. Also, if the sellers iPhone does not have SHSH saved for 4.3.3 and below, a downgrade will not be possible since Apple no longer signs that firmware.

To save them, open up Cydia(if you are not jailbroken I would be happy to guide you through the process), then search for SHSHit, download that application. Then follow the steps inside the app to save you blobs. It is also a good idea to email them to your self so you always have them. Hope this helps! If you have any questions please, don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by iJasonTATE; 2011-08-29 at 07:01 PM.
    iPhone 4S | MacBook Air

Quote Originally Posted by iJasonTATE View Post
    SHSH Blob is a signature file which is verified against Apple Server to verify the the iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. If for some reason, when you are trying to restore to a previous version, Apple will not allow you to restore it becuase, you are trying load a older version of iOS. To make this possible, we need to send a request to a different server (Local or designated) which sends a SHSH blob (which was saved by you) back to iTunes faking that its the current version.

Regarding your eBay questions. I would ask the seller to specify the firmware that the iDevice that is up for sale is running, just so you can get an idea of which phones are able to be jailbroken. Also, if the sellers iPhone does not have SHSH saved for 4.3.3 and below, a downgrade will not be possible since Apple no longer signs that firmware.

To save them, open up Cydia(if you are not jailbroken I would be happy to guide you through the process), then search for SHSHit, download that application. Then follow the steps inside the app to save you blobs. It is also a good idea to email them to your self so you always have them. Hope this helps! If you have any questions please, don't hesitate to ask.
    Did this to save them but says apple no longer signing 4.3.3. I never knew to save them before so am I too late? Is there another way to make sure I can get back to 4.3.3 is anything ever happens?

Thanks

Actually... Yes. Go ahead and read through this guide: How to Save SHSH Blobs of Unsigned iOS Firmware Using iFaith [Tutorial] | iPhoneHail

It utilizes a program called iFaith. What iFaith does is it builds a signed IPSW with dumped SHSH blobs and submits the SHSH blobs to remote server for backup. Let me know if it is successful or not. If you have any more questions, please ask. Hope this helps.
    iPhone 4S | MacBook Air