Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G WiFi problems

Default iPhone 2G WiFi problems
    Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

The issue I've been having for the past few months or so, (can't remember exactly how long) is that my iPhone 2G is having major issues with WiFi.

It will detect the network, most of the time it will not connect to it. Sometimes it will connect to it but only for a few seconds. Other times it will connect to it and let me use it, but for only what seems is 10mgb of bandwidth, so I can't do much with it. It also seems to show very low single strength even though the Modem/Router is literally a few feet away sitting on the computer desk beside me.

Not sure what happened, it's been jailbroken & unlocked sense I've had it a few years ago, and worked flawlessly up until recent months. I've tried nearly everything I can think of/researched and nothing is working. If it was hardware issue, at least to my understanding, it wouldn't even show the network.

I'm running OS 3.0 which I recall doing with redsn0w a while back. I'd really hate to have to do a restore as it'd take a hell of a long time getting everything back to the way I have it now.

Any information that can be provided as to do this would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking for the past few days and nothing has worked yet.

Thank you!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Try unstalliing the last two or three Cydia app/tweaks, and test.
    Use SBSettings / More to disable all Mobile Substrate add-ons, and test.
    If that doesn't help, then it could be hardware or firmware.
    Its easy to upgrade the firmware to 3.1.3, jailbreak, and test

Good luck.

I haven't installed any Cydia apps in a while, they were a few from the App store I've been using for a long time, free ones.

I do use SBSettings, however I haven't updated any of the apps through Cydia for quite some time so I doubt it's any of them as it was working with them for a long time.

However, I did disable all Mobile Substrate add-ons and it still didn't work.

I would upgrade, but I'm really afraid of losing all my information, as far as contacts, photos, and what not.

Any other information on how to upgrade and not lose them would be great. Thanks for the quick response.
    Last edited by IceCold343; 2011-08-26 at 05:05 AM.

Alright well I updated and jailbroke to 3.1.3 and my WiFi still is not working. Yet it works with every other device I have. I'm really having a difficult time understanding this and now very frustrated because I lost all my apps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your apps and data aren't lost, they're sync'd with iTunes.
    They can be restored after it's fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Your apps and data aren't lost, they're sync'd with iTunes.
    They can be restored after it's fixed
    Yeah, I suppose so, however my WiFi still isn't working. Any other solutions? Think it could possibly be router related? I'm so confused and frustrated at this point I tried using the 3.0 firmware as well, to no avail. I'm really confused as to why it just isn't working.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's not the firmware version. Restoring once proved that 99.9%.
    Did you set up iPhone as new? Try WiFi before doing anything else?
    Reset network setting? Connecting to various WiFi routers?

If none of these help, time for a repair. Ugh

I see.

I haven't tried setting it up as new, but once it's done jailbreaking I don't start up iTunes for the "restore" of my pics and everything, and trying it. It hasn't worked that way either. I reset the network settings and it still wont connect. Unfortunately I don't have any other WiFi routers around to try at this time. My "Router" is my modem through Verizon, which I've heard of it causing some problems with iPhones in the past, but all my other devices work fine.

I really hope I don't have to repair. I may end up purchasing one through craigslist before I pay for the repair, depending on how much you think they cost. Short on money right now so it's really frustrating.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The only way to know if it's your iPhone or router is to try a different router. Walk around, drive around, go to a Starbucks or other coffee shop and try to connect. If it connects, your home router has a problem. It if does not, the it's the iPhone. You've eliminated all other possibilities.

Alright Mes, I greatly appreciate all the help you've given me.

I'll be heading to a friends in a couple of days and I know he has a WiFi connection there, that I'll test.

However, if it doesn't work (and I'm assuming it wont), do you know roughly how much it'd cost to get it fixed? Is it worth trying to fix myself (I've done "hardmodding" in the past)? Or is it worth it to just buy a new phone all together?

I was looking at one earlier for ~$100.00, 2G 8Gig, near mint condition.

Thank you again Mes for your continued help!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

A decent repair shop will provide an estimate prior to repair.
    Repair costs depend upon the fault. Obviously $100 is max,
    because you can get a replacement for $100.

Well I am connected to my WiFi right now, however it seems whenever I go to use it, it'll work for maybe a little bit, then drop.

So is the WiFi completely shot or in the process of going out? This is what is really confusing me.

Sometimes it'll work for a little bit, other time it wont work at all.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Hardware problems show up in many different ways. The reasons why are impossible to predict.

Well it was just working, I browsed a few sites, then it disconnected me. I let it sit for a few, tried connecting back to the router and it let me. I'm still connected as we speak. I haven't tried browsing any sites just yet though.

It seems to be connecting to it fine alright, but when I got to download anything, it seems to disconnect.
    Last edited by IceCold343; 2011-08-27 at 09:00 AM.

Alright well since I haven't been home, I've tested another WiFi network, and it seems to be working just fine.

Downloaded some apps, and browsed multiple sites with no issue. So it seems at this point it is the router at home.

However, Cydia doesn't seem to want to work. I can't understand why, I've done the research and what not, and I can SSH into my phone.

Any information about how to remove/reinstall it would be great!

Thanks again.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good, WiFi is working

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold343 View Post
    .... Cydia doesn't seem to want to work...
    More details please.

Seems to be hanging at "loading data". Once I SSH in and delete some files in "apt/lists" (I believe) then it will work but then has issues with the sources. Then I am unable to use the search function. Sort of confused on why it's doing this. I'm just trying to get my iPhone back to the way it was. I've also tried updating Cydia as well to no avail.

So, I'm guessing a reinstall is necessary. Although like I said I'm not sure.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You tried updating Cydia?
    Did you add the Cydia .deb to the autoinstall folder and reboot?

If yes, I think you've covered the bases and a restore in needed.

Reboot folder?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This directory: /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast