Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing 3GS rear - advice

Default Replacing 3GS rear - advice
    Hey all. I have a 3GS that I got as a bargain and am in the process of fixing up. The battery is absolutely screwed and the back is cracked near the dock connector.

Since I need to disassemble to replace the battery, I think I might as well replace the rear cover too. I've seen the process on iFixit - it's described as Very Difficult but I can't see why. If I am careful and organised it doesn't look too bad...

So, to anyone who has done it, what do you think? Any "gotchas"?

James

Prettu easy for me. Ill describe more when im back from school lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Prettu easy for me. Ill describe more when im back from school lol.
    I would like a better description too.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Well I've ordered a rear cover and will report on how it goes. I have already opened the phone to have a look. Quite fiddly inside but I think doable. Just need to make sure to keep track of each screw as it comes out to make sure it goes back in the right place.

I folded a piece of tape to set screws on then you can organize them in groups when you take them out and they are secure as well

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think the hardest part is removing and reinstalling the audio jack, vibrate motor/switch, and power button/flex cable. But the rest of it is all pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I think the hardest part is removing and reinstalling the audio jack, vibrate motor/switch, and power button/flex cable. But the rest of it is all pretty easy.
    Thats what I thought too at first but after the other times it seemed almost natural tbh.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I said it's probably the hardest part, but that doesn't mean it's difficult for the experienced, such as yourself

My rear arrived today, it looks good quality, too good to be a cheap knockoff but it's a rear without the bezel and has no volume buttons or anything, so I'd have to transfer. Is that a lot harder - should I have got a rear with a bezel included?

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I said it's probably the hardest part, but that doesn't mean it's difficult for the experienced, such as yourself
    I kno lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ModMyPi View Post
    My rear arrived today, it looks good quality, too good to be a cheap knockoff but it's a rear without the bezel and has no volume buttons or anything, so I'd have to transfer. Is that a lot harder - should I have got a rear with a bezel included?
    I transferred my original bezel. Some of the bezels that come with those housings aren't that great. But you didn't get one anyway so just use the original one with the new housing. Shouldn't be any more difficult.

Are they fixed on with glue or just snap on?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Glue/3M tape.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!