Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone not recognized on pc

Default Iphone not recognized on pc
    Well, I'm new here and have a nice problem to start off with. My jailbroken iphone is running 4.2.8. My iphone syncs to a windows 7 desktop, with itunes 10.4. The phone is no longer recognized by itunes or, apparantly, the OS. When this started, the iphone would show up in windows explorer, but itunes would complain that it couldn't read the phone, and that I should do a restore. I didn't want to do that, as when I upgraded to 4.2.8, I had a failure with the backups I had done and I had to start from scratch with cydia. I was hoping to troubleshoot the problem.

Anyway, the next day, when I hooked up the phone to the computer, the phone makes the connection sound, but the PC didn't. Itunes opened when the device was connected , but did not display the device, or otherwise notice it, and the phone doesn't show up in windows explorer either. But the phone is visible to the program iphone explorer, which can access the phone's file structure as normal. The phone is otherwise apparently operating normally.

This problem seems to have started after I downloaded an update to libgpod. It appears to be a support file for myfile. The update said that for the update to work on an iphone 4, an edit needed to be made in /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml, and the phone rebooted, and synced with itunes. I made the edit (changing a single value in the file), saved, rebooted, tried to sync, and it failed as I mentioned above. I have tried to reverse the change in that file and reboot, but that didn't change anything. I tried deleting the file, and when I did that the only change is that when the phone connects, my pc makes a connection noise along with the phone, but Itunes and windows explorer still don't find the phone. I've also tried deleting and reinstalling itunes with no effect.

I suspect the problem is on the phone. I wish cydia would show my most recent downloads are because I'd start deleting apps in reverse order if I could. I don't remember the other stuff I've downloaded recently.

If I have no access the phone in itunes, how can I do a restore? Are the any cydia backup solutions that will work without itunes access? I have saved shsh blobs on my system for 4.2.8, and I also have a local copy of the OS, plus the file that snowbreeze created during the jailbreak process with the jailbroken OS. So I suspect I could reinstall the OS. But I have nearly 150 apps and tweaks on this phone and I don't want to have to reinstall them all if I don't have to. If anyone has any thoughts of what I can do I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Mark

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Using file manager tools like MyFile can be great , but when a problem occurs it's very difficult to diagnose. Even for an expert, the time involved usually far outweighs the restore time.

Likely your only choice is to restore using your original Sn0wbreeze'd 4.2.8 ipsw. You'll need TU + saved SHSH blobs + TSS server running. Sn0wbreeze/redsn0w to enter pwnd-DFU and shift/click/select custom 4.2.8 ipsw iTunes restore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Likely your only choice is to restore using your original Sn0wbreeze'd 4.2.8 ipsw. You'll need TU + saved SHSH blobs + TSS server running. Sn0wbreeze/redsn0w to enter pwnd-DFU and shift/click/select custom 4.2.8 ipsw iTunes restore.
    I just had another problem start up with the phone that will have me restoring tonight in all probability. The only things I need to know now are 1) how can I back up (settings, apps, cydia apps) without itunes? 2) After I restore, will I be able to access the last update in itunes for this phone? or will it get wiped out?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

PKGBackup works well to backup Cydia app and more. After a restore, iTunes will give you the option to 'restore from the last backup'. Use sync for music/apps/etc

I used PKGBackup to backup everything to dropbox. Then I restored the phone, went and downloaded PKGbackup off of cydia. When I reset PKGbackup's link to dropbox, I went to look at available backups (there were two there). Strangely, none of them worked, the program said it couldn't find them. DROPBOX DELETED ALL OF THE FILES IN THE PKGBACKUP DIRECTORY IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT ANY ACTION ON MY PART AS I WAS LOOKING AT THE BACKUPS. I don't know what I did wrong if I did or didn't do anything, but this is outrageous. So now I'm lucky to have app store app data because I have a backup from appbackup, and I think I may have an older xbackup file which will restore some cydia apps, but I've lost quite a bit of data from the 6 days I didn't have Itunes access as that was all backed up by pkgbackup, and while I pulled a lot of my library off of the phone, I don't know if that will enable me to get back the lost data. This is hardly the easy backup and restore the program promises, and I now have hours of manual restoring to do. I don't get this. Every time I update or restore the phone cydia backups fail. xbackup didn't work for me the last time, and now Pkgbackup screwed me. !$#%!$#@%$#@%$#@%$#@$#@%