Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: White Screen of Death!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default White Screen of Death!
    Hi all,

I have a 3G with a solid white screen. It is recognized on my laptop and functions perfectly aside from the white screen.

The iPhone 3G was dropped from about 2 ft. and the screen hasn't showed anything other than the white screen since.

Any fixes? I've opened up the iPhone 3G and all connectors were connected. What's up?

Thanks.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

First 3 steps with WSOD
    1 Reset, hold both home and power buttons until iPhone restarts.
    2 Restore Firmware.
    3 Replace with known good Display LCD to determine if LCD or Logic Board is fault.

Quote Originally Posted by 805 93003 View Post
    First 3 steps with WSOD
    1 Reset, hold both home and power buttons until iPhone restarts.
    2 Restore Firmware.
    3 Replace with known good Display LCD to determine if LCD or Logic Board is fault.
    The above is entirely correct. Beacuse you dropped it it's most likely a loose/broken connection. I just replaced the screen/digitizer (not the LCD) on my girlfriends 3GS with a kit of eBay after she dropped it and the glass cracked / LCD was at WSOD. Dead-easy and I paid 12 (20 US$) for the kit - the one including a repacement LCD was about twice that.

Thanks

What is WSOD and the digitizer is not damaged at all. I would assume it is the LCD or the logic board. The latter option sounds more plausible.

Well, part of troubleshooting is to open it up and make sure the three connectors are properly seated. I assume you've tried resetting it. Have a look at ifixit as they have good guides on how to open it up; there are also some good videos on youtube. Note that you'll need a very small screwdriver and ideally a suction cup to lift the screen of.

If you're lucky you'll have a repair shop nearby that can tell you what the problem is and give you a quote FOC.

Thanks

I have opened it and all connections were fine. I've done several hardware fixes before. However this is my first time encountering the white screen. Like i said, it's either a bad lcd or logic board.

Oh ok. Well, then you know what you need to do. A new LCD is a pretty cheap place to start, particularly if you can wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive from HK/China though I imagine they're pretty cheap in the US too. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks

Hopefully it's the LCD... Yeah, I've got a few sellers via eBay to buy from. Thanks.

Thanks

Okay! So, after a ton of research I have come to the conclusion that the mother board is damaged and not the LCD. Is there any solutions to the white screen?

In addition, now I have an iPod Touch 2G. It has a cracked digitizer and a damaged LCD. I have replacements for both, however the iPod does not power on nor is it recognized by my laptop. What's up with that?

Thanks

The iPhone 3G syncs up to iTunes and is fully responsive (I can manually turn off the iPhone since I know where the "Slide to turn off" is). Also, the iPhone emits sounds. Does this mean that it can just be the LCD?