Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone4 home button not working, hardware issue? software issue?

Default iphone4 home button not working, hardware issue? software issue?
    I recently bought a cracked screen iphone4 with the intention to converse it to white
    Everything on the phone work fine for a few days. Then I jailbroke it with redsnow, installed some theme and apps from Cydia, unlocked with Gevey Ultra, phone work fine for a few days then all of a sudden, the home button completely death. No response no matter how I tried to click it, turned phone off then on....completely death. What are the chance of this issue related to hardware issue (connector loose, broken flex cable..) or software issue from jailbreak?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Restore and test the home button w/o jailbreaking. If it doesn't work either on a clean restore then it's a hardware failure

The thing is my I4 is on 4.2.1 iOS but no SHSH. Can I restore without updated iOS?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sure. Get iFaith from ih8sn0w.com and dump SHSHs for 4.2.1. Then you may create a custom signed firmware for 4.2.1 and restore to it

Here is a helpful guide for you
    Create Signed iOS IPSW Using iFaith To Restore iPhone Without Cydia Server Or TinyUmbrella

actually I did have SHSH blob created using iFaith but even you don't have much faith in iFaith so I am not sure (I read that in other thread)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Then you're all set