Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: what does carrier "not available" mean?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default what does carrier "not available" mean?
    i just got a factory unlocked iphone 4 iOS4.1, and bb 2.10.04 not jailbroken but worked with two different sims but i stupidly did a setting reset and the carrier which initially, showed "carrier 8.0" now shows "not available". Please what does this mean? I hope it doesnot mean its no longer factory unlock cos i cant get a sim to comfirm that. Someone pls help!

My iphone 3gs which is software unlock shows "carrier 7.0". I'm lost, can someone please explain what all these mean.

I just replied to your post in the other thread :P

It sometimes just takes a little while for the carrier info to update. You could try pressing reset network settings again. If it is factory unlocked you won't lose it.

It must be factory unlocked there is no software unlock for that BB
    Last edited by Tazz229; 2011-07-19 at 10:05 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz229 View Post
    I just replied to your post in the other thread :P

It sometimes just takes a little while for the carrier info to update. You could try pressing reset network settings again. If it is factory unlocked you won't lose it.

It must be factory unlocked there is no software unlock for that BB
    Thanks, i Was just thinkin could it be that it was locked to a particular network and the formal user unlocked it by paying the out of contract fee to the provider, and now my reset rerrturned it to its before-settelement state:locked.

Dont mind my display of naivety, just curious.

I am also still interested in knowing the difference btw "carrier 7.0" and "carrier 8.0"

When you say two diff sims is that two diff carriers or same carrier? If it's the same carrier then it may just be an updated sim.

I'm almost certain there's a diff between a PAYG sim and a contract sim because they have diff features and options. For example certain call options are disabled on PAYG sims.

I couldn't get personal Hotspot or FaceTime on my phone untill my carrier had updated it self.

Also whenever you put a sim in a phone within 24hrs your imei is sent to that sim provider they will then verify the handset. If it was locked out iTunes would tell you.
    Last edited by Tazz229; 2011-07-19 at 11:38 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I actually used two differernt sims of different carriers and they are not contract sims

I actually used two differernt sims of different carriers and they are not contract sims
    Last edited by quaz444; 2011-07-19 at 03:22 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I would plug the device up to iTunes and see what it says. If it is truely a factory unlocked phone then iTunes should have no problem telling you that it is unlocked.

The only true way is to restore the firmware on the device. If the phone is a true factory unlocked phone then at the end of the restore iTunes will notify you that your device is unlocked when you activate it
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-07-19 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by quaz444 View Post

That's why one says 7.0 and one says 8.0 then