Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trick the Apple genius?

Default Trick the Apple genius?
    Hi so I have an iPhone 4 and currently I have no problems with it but I have quite a bit of scratches on it so nobody wants to buy it . I was wondering if there is anyway that I could "trick" the Apple genius by creating a problem/telling him I have a problem so I could receive a new refurb with no scratches?

just tell them it randomly turn on/off thats what i did lol

that will mostly likely fail if they ask me to reproduce the problem but hey thanks for the idea haven't thought of that one haha

is there anyway i could mess up my home button? i've heard that the home button not properly functioning is a common problem and generally the genius will give you a new iphone

ive never had them try and make me reproduce the problem, maybe their different from where your from, but they dont give a crap here.

I'm sorry but why would you do this. Not only did u scratch it but then breaking it and then having a chance of them not replacing it.

If the home button breaks they probably won't but if u break the power button and it's under warranty then for sure will my brother did it to his 3GS, just took it and slammed the power button on a table and broke it to get a new one Pfffffff, I never said try this

Haha power sounds interesting but I don't think it's gonna be easy on watever stuff this iPhone 4s frame is made out of. Perhaps I will reset the phone and not activate it so they can't test it and say I've got home button issues and software lag along with loose volume and home buttons

Quote Originally Posted by daaneel View Post
    Haha power sounds interesting but I don't think it's gonna be easy on watever stuff this iPhone 4s frame is made out of. Perhaps I will reset the phone and not activate it so they can't test it and say I've got home button issues and software lag along with loose volume and home buttons
    theyll just activate it, it is an apple store lmao

Well I don't think they have random simcards laying around haha

always worth a shot i guess.

Haha good one. These forums are way better than that pussy **** called "macrumors"

Filled with a bunch of idiot fanboys over there

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Breaking the power button, they just going to fix it or you are going to have to send it to apple specially if you have apple care protection. But here is a good one. If your iPhone overheats and turn off randomly and of course you can't emulate the problem there because it do that sometimes. What they do is they run a test program in your iPhone and it looks for your temperature log file and they can see the temperature that your iPhone reached recently, if it is more than certain degrees like 120 degrees or more, they change your iPhone instantly because it is a risk for you to use it. All you got to do is try to access the temperature log file in some way and add or change the temperature value there manually, I think is a plist file, I found it but I think is encrypted, if somebody can see it or decrypt it so it can be editable, you are good. And remember to act stupid, If they ask you if your iPhone was jailbreaked, tell them no, I never been in jail. But shhhh don't tell nobody. "I only know that I don't know nothing" I heard that before.
    Last edited by javiert30; 2011-07-11 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Breaking the power button, they just going to fix it or you are going to have to send it to apple specially if you have apple care protection.
    *Bashes head into a window

Duh there gunna send it into there care protection to fix it but there also not gunna leave u there hanging without a new iPhone to walk out of the store with it's different from laptops in the way that you can still get all your data back on to the iPhone if they take your laptop in for a repair your out of luck till u get it back

An then theres the fact that the iPhone 4 16gig runs for $400 on the streets no contract with full warranty, while a laptop costs around $1000 + Apple name so another $1000 depending on what u get

Thus the iPhone is probably at most costs apple $300 to make so they can send you home with a new one and not a new laptop
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 2011-07-11 at 07:56 PM.

iPhone is like $180 to make, lol.

If you have obvious external hardware issues for sure they'll replace it if's under warranty/Applecare. What matters is if you can at least remove the jailbreak. Make your appointment, play it cool, play dumb, the guys there are FRIENDLY, make small talk while they're looking up your iphone's serial to check the warranty, if you do well you'll succeed. EZ

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Why couldn't you have just put a screen protector and case on it to begin with. Most people do it knowing in the end the resale value of their device will be at the best possible.

For future reference maybe you'll spend the extra little cash to protect your device instead of spending so much time trying to break your stuff just so Apple will replace it.

Thank you Annie. Finally some sense

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (2011-07-12)

thread closed
    This is not appropriate for mmi.
    If you were responsible and protected from the beginning you would have this problem