Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Urgent! Please Help!

Default Urgent! Please Help!
    I have an Iphone 3G 8GB that was jailbroken and unlocked but the owner of it tried to reset everything and ended up putting the phone into recovery mode. So now I have to figure out how to jailbreak and unlock it again. My only question is what is the highest IOS and firmware I can jailbreak this thing with so I can also unlock it with Tmobile everything untethered of course?

Also since it is in recovery mode do I have to download some type of custom firmware and restore it with that on Itunes? Or is there an already jailbroken firmware for the Iphone 3g that I can just download and hold the option button (i have a mac) and restore the phone to that on Itunes and then just unlock through cydia? I feel like this option would be easiest but was not sure if it was possible. Thank you to anyone who can help!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's probably best if you load 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 for several reasons:

1. It's the speediest. 4.2.1 is maximum but sluggish.
    2. The stock 3.1.2/3.1.3 firmware from Apple is unlockable with Ultrasn0w.
    3. No SHSH blobs are required for 3.x firmware versions.
    4. iTunes (shift/click/select) stock 3.1.2/3.1.3 will load w/o issues.
    5. Redsn0w to jailbreak.

Please read, review, and re-read the tutorials on iClarified.Com and MMI.

Using an old AT&T SIM is best for activation because that eliminates issues/problems with Push, YouTube, etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-01)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's recommended to keep the iPhone 3G at 3.1.3, but if you want to put it up on the highest OS of 4.2.1, that's doable. To preserve the bb and be able to unlock, create a custom 4.2.1 firmware with Sn0wbreeze. Then use redsn0w to put into dfu mode (do not attempt to install Cydia or do anything besides dfu with redsn0w) then shift+restore to the custom 4.2.1.

You can find custom fw to download online but it's better just to make one yourself for best results.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-01)

Thanks for the info! The problem is I think the last time this was jailbroken and unlocked they used the Ipad baseband and must of been a 4.0 or higher IOS. So that means going back to the 3.0 IOS is not an option right? I probably should just go with 4.2.1 even though it may be slower?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sure you can use 3.1.3. Just restore to a stock 3.1.3, when you get error 1015 use TinyUmbrella to exit recovery (not fix recovery). Then jb as normal with redsn0w 0.9.4 and a 3.1.2 ipsw (not 3.1.3 bc redsn0w won't recognize that)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-01)

Okay so I can go back down to 3.1.3 even though it was jailbroken before with 4.0 or higher? So just download 3.1.3, plug it into Itunes, restore it to 3.1.3 and when I get the error I should have tiny umbrella running and just click exit recovery? Then just use redsnow to jailbreak? Where can I download the 3.1.2 ipsw? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

3.1.2 fw from Here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-01)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Correct. You can get a copy of a 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 ipsw in the Downloads section here on MMi, or on felixbruns.de.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-01)

Thanks so much!

So I have jailbroken this twice successfully but each time I try and go to cydia and unlock by adding the repo666 source cydia messes up and I end up having to restart the phone. Then when I try cydia again it just says Reloading Data and the wheel spins forever. Am I doing something wrong with the jailbreak or the unlock in cydia?

What FW do you have and what BB? What do you mean 'Cydia messes up' when you add the repo666 source?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    What FW do you have and what BB? What do you mean 'Cydia messes up' when you add the repo666 source?
    It has the 06.15.00 baseband because I think it used to be running the 4.0 IOS but now I have it on the 3.1.3 And by cydia messing up I mean it lets me in for a few seconds and then just stops and says Loading Data and the wheel spins forever. I try and restart the phone with no luck. I have also tried to rejailbreak twice now. This is urgent cause I have to get this phone back to its owner in less than two hours. Anyone have any ideas? Should I just update to the 4.0 or higher IOS?

The phone was on 4, or above, the iPad BB has not been tested on 3.xx
    I would update to 4.21 and JB with RS.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-05)

What version of redsnow do I use to jailbreak? And should I download 4.2.1 from here? iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From still? I assume I just download it from there and create custom one with snowbreeze or does anyone know where I can just download a custom 4.2.1? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You have ipad bb, so you can't jailbreak with Redsn0w but you can use the option : pwned dfu to get your iphone into dfu mode, only Custom firmware if you want 4.2.1, make sure you disable wallpaper and multitask for better performance . Use Snowbreeze 2.2.1 for cfw of 4.2.1

Iclarified firmware download is a reputable website and is fine

22. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-06)

Okay thank you... which version of Redsnow do I need to do the pwned dfu? Also will this be a tethered jailbreak? I hope I wont have to redo it everytime my phone restarts. Thanks!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It doesn't matter which version you use as you are simply using the DFU option. The latest version with a 4.3.3 ipsw will work.

The jb will not be tethered.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-06)

Just wanted to make sure one more thing. Once I put the phone in pwned DFU mode then I go into Itunes and restore the phone to the custom firmware I created with snowbreeze? Is that the right order and everything I need to do?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yep that's correct

28. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

tjlamro (2011-07-06)

Okay so I downloaded the 4.2.1 from IClarified. I used Snowbreeze to create a custom firmware. Then I put the phone in pwned DFU mode and just checked that off, nothing else. I opened itunes and loaded the custom firmware I made with snowbreeze but now after the restore the phone is in Emergeny call mode. Did I not complete enough steps with snowbreeze? It asked me to do some stuff with greenpoison but I didnt know if it was necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast