Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone in toilet

Default iPhone in toilet
    My wife dropped her iPhone 3g in the toilet and it no longer works. We cannot afford to replace it at this time but need at least a functioning phone. I was told by someone at work that the prepaid phones at Wal-mart for $20 will work with the AT&T SIM card. Is this true and/or are there other options? We have been out of contract since October of last year and are kind of planning to get iPhone5 as Christmas presents and renew contract, so just need to get by until then.

Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Get some 90%+ alcohol. Completely submerge the iPhone in the alcohol for a few minutes (5-10) to clean it as much as possible. Take it out, drain, and try to remove as much liquid as possible. Then place it in a plastic bag with 1-2 cups of rice. Let it sit for at least 5 days. Some success has been reported using this technique.

Thanks

^what mes said, it worked for me last year. DO NOT TURN IT ON, leave it off and keep it in a bag for about a week with rice just to make sure u get it completely dry if u really care about the iphone

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I would recommend 95% and up. Anything below does damage. I've used 91% and it caused major staining on the screen.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good to know. Thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's also recommended to take the screen off if possible and just clean the screen parts with the alcohol with a towel.

Thanks folks. I had taken it apart and placed it in rice, but the second part of the problem I did not mention is that connector #3 is broken. As I understand it, I can just hook up #1 and #2 and will loose some functions, but should be able to tell if the moisture issue is a problem. If it turns out it is not a problem, I found a guy named Hector in California that uses a microscope to replace connector #3 so will probably send to him. I did get an AT&T Go phone for $10 yesterday and it is working fine with my SIM card.
    Thanks again for the replys!