Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't update to 4.3.3

Thanks

Default Can't update to 4.3.3
    My wife has been trying to update to her iPhone 4 for months now. She is still on 4.2.1 and hasn't been able to update since 4.3x. Every time she tries it, it "times out". I have gone through the normal methods of debugging this issue such as making sure all anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewalls are off but it still isn't working. I even tried downloading the iOS offline and telling it where to update from but still timing out.
    Somebody please help me help her.
    Thank you

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

At what point does it 'time-out'? Any iTunes errors? Have you run TinyUmbrella before?

Thanks

It times out while downloading if she just uses iTunes. I can't remember the error right now but it is the error of the network connection timing out. I use TinyUmbrella on my iPhone but her's isn't jailbroken. When I updated mine I had to use TinyUmbrella to not default my SHSH blobs from Cydia. I thought of that issue with hers but quickly dismissed it since she isn't jailbroken.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The iTunes error is important.

You said 'while downloading'. Do you mean while downloading the firmware from Apple, or putting the firmware on the phone? If you have manually downloaded the firmware, then shift/select the firmware and one potential error will be eliminated.

Also, re-run TinyUmbrella, select options, and un-check the option to 'set hosts file to Cydia'. Exit TU and try again. Note: A computer reboot may be necessary. The current version is being signed by Apple therefore TU is not required.

H.o.w.e.v.e.r .... you didn't mention unlock, modem firmware, baseband. Are you an AT&T (or authorized carrier) customer? If no, then you need TU and special instructions/care to keep the modem firmware/baseband from being updated !!
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-06-28 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks

I looked the error up and I couldn't find a specific error number just that the network connection has timed out. As I said when she tries to do it normally through iTunes it times out while downloading the firmware. I will try again installing an already downloaded firmware but last time I did it timed out while trying to install.
    I also mentioned that the phone I am trying to update is not jailbroken so Cydia is not even on the phone. I had to use TU to update my phone but that's because it is jailbroken.
    This phone is through AT&T and is currently operating on iOS 4.2.1. The computer is operating on Vista. I am not sure when iTunes was last updated on the computer because if I am not mistaken iTunes will not update either.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Firstly ... test your internet connection. Downloading a file shouldn't time out. Go to a different site like iClarified.Com and download a firmware from there. If it times out, then fix it before doing anything else.

Secondly .... jailbroken/non-jailbroken doesn't matter. TU is used to sign a non-current Apple firmware and to prevent the modem firmware/baseband from being updated on an iPhone 4. It's not required for AT&T customers when loading the current version.

Thirdly .... the latest (or almost the latest) version of iTunes is necessary for the latest firmware versions. Not exactly sure where the cut-off is, but that could easily be your problem.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

grant.ben08 (2011-06-28)

Thanks

Update complete. I put the ipsw from my computer onto her computer. What realized before doing the update though was that she doesn't use the high speed USB ports on her laptop because it takes too pong for her laptop to find her phone through them. I was about to do the shift/select method when I thought I would give it a chance through the high speed port and it worked. Now the ipsw was in the same folder that iTunes would have downloaded it to and so it seemed like iTunes skipped the download.
    Thank you though for your help and advice.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks for reporting success. I've used low-speed USB ports on a Mac with success but that was back in the 2.x days.

Thanks

It seems now with how complex 4.x is the updating process is very finicky. Not to mention you were on a Mac. One day I'll have one.......one day.