Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best Navigation Software for iPhone 3G

Default Best Navigation Software for iPhone 3G
    I gave my old iPhone 3G to my parents to use as an iPod Touch.

My mom uses it for Words with Friends, and my dad wants to use it as a navigation device in his car. We put TomTom and Navigon(i purchased them on my iPhone 4 a while ago, just using the same account) on it.

Navigon barely detects where we are, and when we start moving, it can't keep up. TomTom does a better job, but if you go off course, it takes forever to reroute and it loses our position a lot. The voice guidance is behind and it's overall a problem.

If I go on Google Maps, the GPS is working perfectly and is updated well, so that can't be it. Does the 3G processor just suck that bad?

They do not have data service, so it has to be on offline maps. Hence the two choices i had. So, services like Waze and Garmin and Mapquest all won't work because they need the internet.

I've tried turning off a lot of the glitz with the apps, to try and speed it up, but it doesn't help.

Anyone have a solution?

I looked at some of the Cydia apps that let you connect to a BT GPS device, not sure if that would help as i think the GPS is working.

I think the 3G processor in it is pretty decent at handling navigation, just depends on the app. I've always had good results with TomTom, but I guess if that doesn't work so well for you, there are others. It's also worth being aware of how the iPhone in general performs as a sat-nav device. There are, you see, significant issues like a constant supply of power and other things.
    Last edited by Habbakuk; 2011-07-04 at 05:26 AM.

My dad bought a power supply for the car. USB cord. That wouldn't be an issue.