Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have I broke it?

Default Have I broke it?
    I really don't know if this is the correct forum so sorry...

To cut a long story short - I bought an iPhone4 from a mate yesterday. He told me it was fine but I suspected it to be stolen. Anyway I updated and restored to 4.3.3 on iTunes and did a check online which (to my delight) told me the phone was not blacklisted. So I jailbroke with redsn0w 0.9.6rc18 and unlocked with ultrasn0w 1.2.3.

Then i went to my dads to use his micro sim to test it (after the cutting of my sim failed)...

Then I dropped it

The glass is cracked in the top right and bottom left but the screen is ok. Wifi works, as does GPS. However when I put a sim card in (orange which is the original carrier of the phone so it's not an unlock problem) it shows "Orange" in the top left but NO signal bars. Also 3G is there and I can connect to the Internet using 3G. But I can't make or receive phone calls - not even emergency calls.

So is it broke?? Is it fixable, even by dismantling?

PS:: I checked and the phone is still under warranty. Would apple replace it if I went in store? If I did this would i need to remove Cydia before I went in??

Thanks guys. I've read these forums a lot but never bothered to register,
    Tom.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Likely. A cable or connector problem at the minimum. Who knows what else is damaged. I would replace it under warranty. Restore w/iTunes and Cydia will be gone. Make sure they give you a factory unlocked replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Likely. A cable or connector problem at the minimum. Who knows what else is damaged. I would replace it under warranty. Restore w/iTunes and Cydia will be gone. Make sure they give you a factory unlocked replacement.

I have never used a warranty - walking in and out of an apple store with a free phone seams too good to be true.

Will I have to pay? Will dropping it (user damage) void it? What about the fact that I'm not the original buyer (but I do have the original sim card)?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to try if it isn't a hassle. Generally they don't really cover damages you've done, such as water damage or dropping it. But sometimes some reps allow it, just depends on who you get really. You don't necessarily need to be the original owner unless the device/itunes restricts access and is asking for the last 4 digits of the original owner's SS number.

It's rather just a matter of if they'll exchange it because there's visible damage to the device that isn't a manufacturer's defect.

Edit: and yes you should restore it to get rid of the jailbreak. They likely reject service to jailbroken devices (again some don't care but haha why risk it)

Thank you for your replies. Ill try to convince them that it didnt work before I dropped it (i acctually dont know if it did) and see if I can get it done.

Ill post back tomorrow and let you know.

If they dont replace it free, how much can I expect to pay?

The annoying thing is I can get a replacement glass for 15 on ebay... But that doesnt solve my signal issue.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

$199 for repairs. If you get rejected for an exchange, it'll likely be bc of the broken glass. They'd have reason to believe the damage was caused by the drop, which it is

You would then be out of luck. Even if you replace the glass, bringing it back to them could go a couple ways. They would see it isn't working and exchange it, or they would try to open it up and repair it which they would see you've already opened up the phone before which voids warranty.

So I went to the apple store today. I was in there for 3 hours!!! And I had to go to orange to get a mini sim which was 25!!! RIP OFF!!

Anyway eventually they told me the handset is barred to orange. I wonder if this means it will be barred to other networks?? Anyone know?

My dad is going to ring orange on his business account and try and get it unblacklisted. I have my checkmend report so I didn't buy it illegally. Will they unblock it?

UnlockMe - Blacklist & Barred & Blocked. Your Mobile Blacklisted?

Scroll down to backlisted and barred. It says the handset will only be barred to orange - is that true??????
    Last edited by Nothadoth; 2011-06-26 at 03:35 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Don't know. If a device is ever blocked, it is done by the owner's request. If your device is blocked/blacklisted the original owner would've been the one to have requested it done. Therefor only by the word of the original owner would Apple release the phone from being blocked.

Unless I'm understanding this situation incorrectly? Bc carriers like Orange don't block iPhones, they can contact Apple to do so, but Apple does the blocking on iPhones.

Ok thanks for your help guys.

I'll post this foe th purpose of anyone who googles this. I rang orange and explained the situation and the fact that I have a checkmend report to say it's fine. But they can't unblock it and that I should hand it in. So ringing orange is no good. They said it was blacklisted a while ago and replaced so the owner isn't out of pocket so at least that gives me some reassurance.

Thanks again for your help