Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Winterboard on 4.2.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Winterboard on 4.2.1
    Just after some help please..

Updated my software to 4.2.1 a while ago, & re-installed my jailbreak.. Installed Cydia & Winterbaord but haven't bothered to use winterboard for a while....

had a spare couple of hours this afternoon so had a browse & downloaded some themes... Came to load one through Winterboard, to find it doesn't work? Nothing changes in the way of looks or anything...

I'm guessing Winterboard doesn't work for 4.2.1 or something?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Winterboard definitely still works up to the latest iOS, but unfortunately every update in firmware (particularly 4.1-4.2-4.3) brings changes made by Apple possibly in a few instances to progress the way things operate moving into the future, but most feel mainly to combat the jailbreak community. (They feel they know best when it comes to how our devices look, act, and of course only make THEM money)

So unfortunately there are many, many themes rendered half or entirely "broken" as a result. Some update to include what they can to cover what they already did, as well as what has changed, many do not.

I'm on 4.2.1 and I began by searching for themes that at Least make mention of iOS compatibility to start, but it also led me to look into and learn more and more about theming myself. If you have any interest in that, it can be to your benefit to find ANYTHING that is compatible, and look into how or why it works and try to mod from there if it isn't really what you want.

The title of your thread lends itself to a discussion about theming 4.2.1 specifically, so I'd be happy to share what I have learned with you or anyone. I'm kinda fond of my general theming direction at the moment, so I don't plan on updating iOS until Apple gives me a real reason. (Aside from the more than likely eventual "you can't sync your device without the latest iOS")

On that note, happy hunting and reply with any other questions!

I just got a used 3GS 16GB from a friend and Ive been having a lot of fun modding the crap out of it, Winterboard seems to be working fine with 4.2.1. however I am having two problems, I cant seem to get any of my custom keyboard themes to work, and I also cant seem to change the wifi and battery icons in the status bar. I cant seem to find anything related to them in the phones directory either. I managed to change almost everything else on the phone except those two things, any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks in advance...

Thanks

It seems that on 4.2.1, Winterboard keyboard themes don't work. There are seemingly 2 methods: iAccess and Color Keyboard. I believe that iAccess is capable of slightly more, but I've heard about a few cons: price and performance. Color Keyboard is what I use and it is awesome! It does cost 2 dollars I believe, but I was glad I spent the money once I tried it out. It has a winterboard style theming structure, complete with the ability to select multiple themes and play around with their effects on each other, as well as independantly pick popup keys and BG image (if desired). For the slightly adventurous, you can pretty easily create your own themes! Utilizes a plist for all application of color to the keys, so they can be modded with text strings instead of images. I can help with that if necessary. (Coding at least, see my attached example which probably wouldn't at least artistically appeal to most).

As for the Statusbar icons, they will be .png images that I need to refresh my memory on the names, but I should be able to get back to you soon. The battery will be a slew of images, and you may have found already that these icons in general can cause some grief depending on how you have the Statusbar themed.

Reply with any more questions, and I'll do a little memory jogging...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0680.png  

Thanks

Here are the file names and sizes for the status bar wifi and battery icons. These I procured from a downloaded theme that completely works for me on 4.2.1. I guess there's no saying that these are the "end all" exact sizes for all of these images, as plenty of .png theming allows a "stretch" or "fill" (the BatteryDrainingInsides.pngs are exactly that). Make a second set replacing the "Black" in all with "Silver" to cover both native status bar states.
    I suppose if you have a theme you wanted, but it doesn't work, you could use these to rename if that's the problem.

Black_0_WifiBars.png 20x20
    [email protected] 40x40
    Black_1_WifiBars.png 20x20
    [email protected] 40x40
    Black_2_WifiBars.png 20x20
    [email protected] 40x40
    Black_3_WifiBars.png 20x20
    [email protected] 40x40
    Black_BatteryCharged.png 21x20
    [email protected] 42x40
    Black_BatteryCharging.png 21x20
    [email protected] 42x40
    Black_BatteryDrainingBG.png 21x20
    [email protected] 42x40
    Black_BatteryDrainingInsides.png 3x20
    [email protected] 6x40
    Black_BatteryDrainingInsidesLow.png 3x20
    [email protected] 6x40

Hope these help one way or another, feel free to reply with any other questions!