Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Basic Questions Iphone 3G 4.2.1 w/ 5.15.04 BB

Default Basic Questions Iphone 3G 4.2.1 w/ 5.15.04 BB
    I have been reading everything I can get my eyes on for the last week in an effort to get my wife's Iphone to jailbreak to work with her carrier (simple mobile). A lot of it is contradictory or outdated.

So, I was hoping to get some basic questions answered so that I can separate fact from fiction..

First off.. Do I jailbreak first or unlock first?

I read on one site that Redsn0w is the way to go, but another site says Ultrasn0w is best and so on and so on.. I know a lot of that is personal preferences, but is there any 'sn0ws to absolutely stay away from?

I usually try to learn what I don't know first before I start asking questions, but in this case, it's become painfully obvious that I don't know Jack...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

EQ

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

You would use redsnow 0.9.6rc8 to jailbreak. Choose the options to install cydia and the ipad baseband. After that is done you install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock.

You will lose GPS if you do this though and there is no going back after updating to the ipad baseband.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

ESI (2011-05-30)

Thanx for the reply, Simon. Much appreciated..

OK, GPS loss.. That's kinda a bummer, but is it safe to assume that is likely to be fixed down the road?? The wife has a GPS in her car, so it's not a huge loss..

I did some more reading here and found this guide:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]

Is that a good one to follow??

Thanx again..

EQ

Thanks

Yup, that guide is fine to use.

Dont know if there will ever be a gps fix though.

Yea, while GPS would be nice, having an Iphone to use is nicer.

OK, so I am following the guide. Had a scare, thought I might have brick'd the iphone.. But I did a restore and got it back to life..

I ran the RedSn0w again and it's on UPDATING RAMDISK. It shows two bars and has stayed that way for the last 15mins or so... Does it normally take this long??

Again, I appreciate the help.. The wife will shoot me if I screw this up, as we have already cancelled her old mobile service.. I would be dead meat if this messes up..

EQ

Thanks

If you are on windows vista/7 you need to run redsnow in windows xp sp2 compatibility mode.

ACK!! That's right! I had read that someplace... OK.... Thanx...

Is there any special 'safe' way to terminate the current run?? Or just shut it down?

EQ

That seems to have done it.. I am on my way..

Again, many thanx...

EQ

OK, it looks like I have got a jailbroke and unlocked Iphone!!

"That wasn't such a chore, now was it!?"
    -Peter Venkman, GHOSTBUSTERS

LD

Now, do need to lock anything on the phone so that ITUNES doesn't frak it up when I connect to it??

And, when you say that GPS doesn't function, what exactly does that entail?? Will I not be able to use any kind of locator to find where the phone is?? Or that if my wife wants to know where she is at, the GPS won't work?? or both??

Thanx for getting me this far.. It's greatly appreciated..

EQ

Thanks

Just stay away from the restore button in itunes and you will be fine.

GPS will not work for apps like tom tom but google maps will still work because that use cell tower/wifi triangulation.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

ESI (2011-05-30)