Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone

Default iPhone
    So I have an iPod touch right now and I'm using bitesms and gv SMS extension.

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone if it comes out for tmobile or just switching to verizon so if my mom blocks texting for phones will it work?

Also if I have 3G on without a plan and there's wifi how do i make the data go thru wifi rather than paying for 3G?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

1) I'm sure biteSMS and gv will work without a texting package. They would use data/wifi.

2) you can't possibly get an iPhone on Verizon without being forced to have a data plan.

3) if you buy it out of contract and use another carrier on it, you can likely go without a data plan. But say the iPhone is out for T-Mobile, even then if on official carrier you'll always have to have a data plan on a smartphone such as an iPhone.

So like getting a smartphone forces you to get some sort of data plan? (if so how much does it cost for the smallest and unlimited)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Currently on Verizon there is only one option for data which is unlimited for $30 a month.

Rumor has it unlimited data will go away some time in July and capped data plans with different pricing will be introduced. I don't know what the pricing will look like.

If you want to get an idea, At&t's iPhones data plans include 200MB for $15 and 2GB for $25.

Oh I see. So on tmobile it's like if you get a smartphone you have to pay for data for 2 years I think then you can just get a basic plan with calling. Is it thesame with verizon and att

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

As long as you have a smartphone like an iPhone on any official carrier, they will make you have a data plan on that phone.

And does texting use up a lot of data (like more than 2gb)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post
    And does texting use up a lot of data (like more than 2gb)
    Texts are not associated with data. You will have three different meters keeping tabs on your daily minutes, text messages, and data.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I don't use GV or biteSMS. I can't accurately tell you how much data it uses. But it's not going to use up 2GB all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    Texts are not associated with data. You will have three different meters keeping tabs on your daily minutes, text messages, and data.
    For texting apps that are not associated with the native texting on the iPhone, the texts use data or wifi. He wouldn't have been able to use either of those he mentioned on an iPod Touch if it wasn't associated with the use of Internet. I also use an alternative that isn't the native text app from the iPhone and without an internet connection, I cant send or receive texts.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-05-20 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I don't use GV or biteSMS. I can't accurately tell you how much data it uses. But it's not going to use up 2GB all by itself.

For texting apps that are not associated with the native texting on the iPhone, the texts use data or wifi. He wouldn't have been able to use either of those he mentioned on an iPod Touch if it wasn't associated with the use of Internet. I also use an alternative that isn't the native text app from the iPhone and without an internet connection, I cant send or receive texts.
    Mhm! Yes, texting apps that are not stock apps will most probably use data/Wi-Fi. Using an iPod Touch means you will only be using Wi-Fi, as a result no data is used and no $ is spent.

K so one more question. Let's say I'm at panera and there's wifi and my 3G on my imaginary iPhone is on and I wanna use the Internet. Will it automatically use wifi?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipodnew842 View Post
    K so one more question. Let's say I'm at panera and there's wifi and my 3G on my imaginary iPhone is on and I wanna use the Internet. Will it automatically use wifi?
    Data only kicks in if you don't have Wi-Fi and you do have a data plan. Without the data plan, data usage will not kick in. You're riding your bicycle with a helmet, don't worry!

is there anyway to block 3g immediately if i activate an iphone and then continue to use iphone without 3g because i heard that if you call at&t to cancel 3g then you cant use the iphone and if you use the iphone, then it'll automatically start using 3g.

Thanks

Settings > General > Network

Switch "Enable 3G" off, and switch "Cellular Data" off.

Your incoming data is now off.

so it's possible to go to the apple store, buy a iPhone (and activate it), turn of 3G/block it, call AT&T and tell them to cancel the 3G plan (that is automatically set when you buy an iPhone), and then just live with a iPhone with call and text WITHOUT 3G within the first two years of activating it?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No, any iPhone requires a data plan. Turning the data off just stops your phone from using data. it doesn't block at&t from knowing you don't have a data plan either. You can have an existing plan with no data plan, then you can use it in your iPhone but AT&T may or may not catch you doing it. Then they'll force you to have a data plan when they find out (or if they find out).

but cant i just turn off 3G and then use some cydia tweak that disguises the iphone as some other phone (i THINK theres something out there) and put the SIM back in the iPHone (all this after cancelling 3G data plan from AT&T because i "stopped using my iPHone"

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Turning 3G off doesn't hide anything. AT&T will know what phone you're using once you start using it. It's just a matter of how quickly they catch on to it. You will be required to have a data plan so long as you're using an iPhone (or any smartphone for that matter). There are no Cydia tweaks that are capable of blocking off AT&T in regards to seeing what phone you're using.

yea as annie said theres no way at all, they go by the imei number and changing it would be illegal, and very bad.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DevouredDreams For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (2011-06-19)

okayyy so i guess ill throw that plan away. so lets assume i get a iPhone from AT&T for 199 then get a data plan of 200mb for $15. and im at home where theres wifi and my 3G is on.
    1:it'll automatically use the wifi rather than my (limited) 200 mb
    2: if i leave my house and out of the range of my wifi, then will it automatically start using the 3G to check my email, surf the web, etc.?
    3: so for ex. in words with friends you get a notification when it's your turn and that obviuosly means it's using internet, how do you stop it from wasting my data (but i still wanna be able to surf the web or something) so i can't just turn off 3G; will closing notifications from it solve the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast