Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPhone 2G Firmaware

Question IPhone 2G Firmaware
    I have another 2G that I JB like a year ago. Its currently with 3.0.1. My questions are:
    - Why I should upgrade to 3.1.3
    - What is the difference between 3.0.1 vs 3.1.3
    Please I would like to know this. The phone is working fine (Except Cydia, I don't know why doesn't finishing load) and I don't want to upgrade unless necessary.

Thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Some apps require to be on 3.1.3. Some new features like MMS I believe are in the update. Improved performance as well. Your Cydia not finishing loading is probably just b/c of a jb fluke. I've had to rejb my devices sometimes because of Cydia not being able to reload properly. If you're satisfied where you are, that's fine too. Upgrading to 3.1.3 and rejb and unlock is easy on a 2G. If you want to upgrade, just hit upgrade in iTunes and jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.4 (point at 3.1.2 ipsw though in Redsn0w). If you have official carrier's SIM, you can use Spirit. It's a quicker jailbreak. If not, here's a detailed guide on how to upgrade to 3.1.3 and jb with redsn0w. Download links included.

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.1.3 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Try getting rid of old repos for the Cydia to load - then update Cydia.

As far as 3.1.3 - don't do it... High as you want to go is 3.1.2, 3.1.3 is unnecessary and simply makes some things a PAIN - like trying to install MMS.

Ok, so If I re-JB with 3.0.1 I must use RedSn0w 0.8 or I can do it with 0.9?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Use Redsn0w 0.8 for 3.0.1 but when you run redsn0w , you browse to 3.0 which you have to download as well

If you want the latest and the final firmware for 2g, then it is 3.1.3, some new apps require you to be a 3.1.3.
    If you want 3.1.3, hit restore will take you to 3.1.3 and you will have to run Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak but you browse to 3.1.2 when you run redsnow.
    Here is some info for you : How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X

Edit : You will need BL 3.9 and BL 4.6 , check only the box, install Cydia and Unlock.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-21 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Use Redsn0w 0.8 for 3.0.1 but when you run redsn0w , you browse to 3.0 which you have to download as well

If you want the latest and the final firmware for 2g, then it is 3.1.3, some new apps require you to be a 3.1.3.
    If you want 3.1.3, hit restore will take you to 3.1.3 and you will have to run Redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak but you browse to 3.1.2 when you run redsnow.
    Here is some info for you : How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X

Edit : You will need BL 3.9 and BL 4.6 , check only the box, install Cydia and Unlock.
    What iYeow said

Thanks all. I know the steps. I JB my previous 2G several times. My question was if it is worth to upgrade to 3.1.3, and if not what Redsn0w version for 3.0. All this because Cydia Crashing and because this was my sister old Iphone and I don't remember what mobile and root password I set up for her...

Note: The phone is on 3.0 What do you think?... Should I upgrade to 3.0.1 I don't know about 3.1.3 I have been having some issues until my phone just died. I don't know if was hardware problems, but the case is it was acting weird. So I want to go with something more secure\stable.
    Last edited by Davesdream; 2010-11-21 at 09:54 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I think we answered that. Upgrading to 3.1.3 allows for MMS, improved performance, and some apps (a lot of the ones I use nowadays) require to be on 3.1.3 and up. It's fine on 3.0 but it's sighing improved on 3.1.3. Thats all really.

Edit: there's no big diff between 3.0 and 3.0.1, if you're going to upgrade you might as well go to 3.1.2. MMS seems to be easier to enable on 3.1.2, if that's of any importance to you.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-21 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hello Puma. I think I'll go directly with 3.1.3 Now, that's have to be done through ITunes and then RedSno0w to JB. My question is: IF I am not satisfied, can I downgrade later? What is done to the IPhone itself after upgrading? I'm asking you because I don't quit understand all the deal thing with the "BaseBand"...
    What I mean is, What changes are done to the phone and if there is a problem with that to later downgrade.

Thanks again

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's a 2G, so all basebands (basebands determine whether the unlock(s) can be applied the device) are unlockable. Since iPhone 2G can't go past 3.1.3, and the baseband has ceased to update, you don't need to worry about preserving the baseband.

You can always downgrade back to 3.0 if you'd like.

Not sure what you mean by what is done to the phone after upgrading...I mean you upgrade the firmware therefor the phone has been updated to its latest firmware version and the new features and performance improvements will be applied. Even with the 3.1.3 update, that device will continue to use bootneuter as the unlock, which I'm sure you know can be automatically installed by Redsn0w 0.9.4.