Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mail app is ALWAYS in process and won't go away!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Unhappy Mail app is ALWAYS in process and won't go away!!
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G and on SB settings under processes, Mail is always open and when I try to end the process, it just shows back up again.

It's so annoying and on free space, I can only get a maximum of 35mb free. When I used to be able to get 60.

Is there anything I can do to quit it?

I have jailbroken my 3G and enabled multitasking but it's not open on the multitasking part, just under SbSettings. It makes my phone so much slower.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The 2 processes you can't quit are Phone and Mail. If you only have 35MB free you need to uninstall some mobile substrate apps.

Thanks
    It never used to be like that. In processes, I just used to see Phone. But now Mail is always open, which uses up all my memory. I have hard resetted my phone many times and still..

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoSeriouss View Post
    It never used to be like that. In processes, I just used to see Phone. But now Mail is always open, which uses up all my memory. I have hard resetted my phone many times and still..
    Mine is sometimes running in the background and sometimes it isn't. I don't think there's really anything you can do about it, though. Doesn't really use that much memory anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brantheman216 View Post
    Mine is sometimes running in the background and sometimes it isn't. I don't think there's really anything you can do about it, though. Doesn't really use that much memory anyway.
    It uses like 20 - 30mb. That's A LOT on a 3G

Turn push off and change the check every minutes to either 30,45, or 1 hour

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Turn push off and change the check every minutes to either 30,45, or 1 hour
    Nope still the same.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I've always had mail running in the background regardless of how many times I end the process. It's on my iPhone 4, was on my previous iPhone 3G, and on my iPod touch 2G. All of these devices it does that. So I'm pretty sure it's just gonna keep running. Unless you delete the mail app which I'm sure you don't wanna do. Try deleting language packs and disabling launch daemons to free up your memory. I always delete unused language packs and that frees up at least 10-20MB of my memory. It was more on my 3G (closer to 25MB) but on an iPhone 4 it already has a ton of free mem so it didn't make a huge diff.

Thanks

Try downloading backgrounder from Cydia and set the mail.app to never background.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The 2 processes you can't quit are Phone and Mail. If you only have 35MB free you need to uninstall some mobile substrate apps.
    There's your solution^^

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    There's your solution^^
    1. What are mobile substrate apps?
    2. How do I uninstall mobile substrate apps?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I think there is a tweak in cydia to keep them out of memory. I will have to search cydia to find it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I think there is a tweak in cydia to keep them out of memory. I will have to search cydia to find it.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I am having trouble remembering the name but I know I saw it a couple weeks ago

Look it doesnt open by it self..

If you dont have a Email setup to be checked..then why its open is ..whenever you go in to your Contacts...and click on the Person to see its Number to be dialed..MAIL opens up.

WHY I dont know.. But MAIL always opens when you want to Add of Delete of want to call someone from the Contact list...
    ALWAYS ALWAYS...

To avoid it..put all the people you call the most in Fav... than you`ll will not have this problem

But everytime you go in phone app then go to Contacts and click on a user to see or dial its Number.. MAIL opens up...if it is not setup to check maill..it wont open up.

There's a phone block cydia package released today look under changes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    Look it doesnt open by it self..

If you dont have a Email setup to be checked..then why its open is ..whenever you go in to your Contacts...and click on the Person to see its Number to be dialed..MAIL opens up.

WHY I dont know.. But MAIL always opens when you want to Add of Delete of want to call someone from the Contact list...
    ALWAYS ALWAYS...

To avoid it..put all the people you call the most in Fav... than you`ll will not have this problem

But everytime you go in phone app then go to Contacts and click on a user to see or dial its Number.. MAIL opens up...if it is not setup to check maill..it wont open up.
    When I say 'ALWAYS' open. I actually mean ALWAYS.
    I press 'delete' on Sb settings, go on free up memory. Then as soon as it finishes it goes back to the SB Settings menu, I click on processes again and it's there again.

I know that Mail usually opens when you go into contacts, but I don't have to do anything for it to come up.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

U can use Backgrounder to Edit how the Mail.app acts. If u only want it to multitask by manually enabling backgrounder, then that's a solution. Only thing about this is that it will not Push or show u correct badge notifications.

I'd just deal w/ it if I were u. Too many problems when it's setup for manual backgrounding. But hey, doesn't hurt to try to see if u like it (at least that's my thinking).

I've noticed the same thing, but it doesn't suck up nearly as much memory as you're experiencing. Maybe 5-10 mb at most. I have all push and fetch settings set to off or manual.

I tried turning using backgrounder to keep it off. But it wasn't worth it, as backgrounder was slowing the phone down quite a bit. It would also cause the phone to fetch mail randomly even though I didn't want it to.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

...and like puma.leaf said, deleting language packs and daemons will help ur RAM. I had my wifes old 3G 3.1.2 running between 40-50MB constant with Winterboard, Proswitcher (& Backgrounder), CategoriesSB, as well as several add-ons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast