Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help please!?!

Default Help please!?!
    Dear All,

I have a 32GB, 3Gs running 3.1.2, all was going fine for the past 6 months, today my iphone froze. I reset it - holding down the power and front button together. Got the recovery logo - as per usual - then used blackra1n to jailbreak as per usual.

Unfortunately i got a spinning wheel on geohot, then the phone goes back to recovery mode. tried jailbreaking about 15 times now and the same keeps happening. I have also tried resetting various times with no avail.

Please help! Should I download then restore back to 3.1.2 via iTunes?
    - bit dubious doing this as when it tries to verify with apple it will probably fail right?

Not sure what else to try?!

Thanks, D.

just to update now it seems that i'm no longer getting the spinning wheel on geohot. but after running blackra1n it just goes back to recovery mode.

Thanks. d
    Last edited by Drew_man; 2010-11-17 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Updated to what? If you're on 4.1 then use Limera1n or greenpois0n. Blackrain ONLY works on 3.1.2.

p.s - I tried searching for a SHSH on TinyUmbrella and I couldn't find one - I don't think I actually saved one. Damn it!

Sorry I mean to say "Just to update you all" haven't updated the phone - it's still 3.1.2
    Last edited by Drew_man; 2010-11-17 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If you don't have any SHSH saved then your only option is to restore to 4.1 since that's the only firmware Apple is signing right now. I hope you don't need an unlock.

What do you mean by "I hope you don't need an unlock" - sorry I only learned what I had to for it to work, now that there's a problem I'm a bit lost.
    The phone was working perfectly for 6 months all nice and unlocked and jailbroken. So do you think I should download a 4.1 ipsw then restore to it?.. - surely when itunes tries to verify it, it will fail no?

Thanks.

Thanks

Jailbreak - the ability to gain root access and run custom apps
    Unlock - the ability to use a different mobile carrier.

There is presently not an unlock available for firmware 4.1 which means if you're not on an official carrier you will not be able to use your phone until a new unlock is released. Your only option is to restore to 4.1 though since you have so SHSH on file for any other firmware.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Drew_man (2010-11-17)

I see now.

That's bad news as the phone was originally unlocked via cydia - I think, but I didn't do the SHSH thing.

Can't believe I'm F'd just because it froze (and I didn't do the SHSH) thing. Sucks! Any other ideas what so ever?

Thanks for your help.. d

anything? anyone? :-( or is it off to the recycle shop.
    Last edited by Drew_man; 2010-11-17 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

For now, just download tiny umbrella and save you 4.1 SHSH. A new unlock should be out before the end of the month so you shouldnt have too long to wait. You can also jailbreak with limera1n or greenpoison now so that you are ready to install the unlock when it comes out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Drew_man (2010-11-17)

Thanks

Dude.. really... if there was a magical alternative answer that would get you back up and running I would have shared. Re-read all my posts...
    To review: Apple is not signing firmware except for 4.1.
    You don't have SHSH's on file for any firmware.
    This leaves you with one option - restore to 4.1.
    There is not an unlock for 4.1 available so you can't use t-mobile yet.
    You're stuck with 4.1 jailbroken so you can use it as an iPod Touch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Drew_man (2010-11-17)

I can't seem to save Jack with tiny umbrella. It doesn't recognize anything about my iphone, let alone let me save SHSH. -- or do you mean I should restore to 4.1 then save my SHSH?..

:-(

Thank you! "click"

I know Poseidon :-( it just seems weird that it all went wrong just because of a little freeze. I guess it must be stuck in some cycle or it could have accidentally updated the firmware perhaps? - surely not.
    I guess it's a mystery.

Thanks

If you havent been on 4.1 yet then you still have hope. Just use one of these guides to get to 4.1 and preserve your baseband so that you can still unlock:

Mac: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]
    Windows: HOW TO: Jailbreak iOS 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze 2.1

Once there use ultrasn0w to unlock and make sure you save your SHSH

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Drew_man (2010-11-17)

nope, didn't update to 4.1

I think it must just have got stuck in a cycle of some sort and can't get out. Before I restore to 4.1 I'm going to try letting the battery drain - in a vague attempt to try and get it out the cycle - if that is infact what is happening - who knows.

will give that I try also - thanks x98car
    Last edited by Drew_man; 2010-11-17 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Do not restore to a regular 4.1 then. Use one of the guides I posted above and you will be fine.

Basically what happened is that you are in boot loop caused by a combination of blacksn0w and a Apple bug on bootup. It is a very common issue for people on 3.1.2 that used blacksn0w to unlock. I have fixed quite a few of these myself. Just make sure you use the custom firmware to restore.
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-11-17 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok, I tried to use 3.1.2 with pwnage tool and it didn't work BUT do you think if I tried to use 4.1 with pwnage tool it would work?..

Thanks

You need the newest pwnage tool for it to work for going to 4.1. It is very important to use pwnage tool to put the phone in dfu mode after creating the custom firmware. Otherwise you will get an error when trying to restore.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Drew_man (2010-11-17)

Thanks

Yes, you can use PwnageTool to upgrade to 4.1 while preserving your baseband, thus keeping your unlock. Just download the stock 4.1 firmware from here and then put that into PwnageTool and cook up a custom 4.1 firmware.

Let Pwnage guide you into DFU mode then shift + restore in iTunes to the custom firmware (never to stock).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

Drew_man (2010-11-17)

so why would it work using pwnage tool with 4.1 but not 3.1.2? - as long as I works I guess I don't care.

I was downloading it from here;
    Apple Releases iOS 4.1 for iPhone and iPod Touch
    Last edited by Drew_man; 2010-11-17 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Drew_man (2010-11-17)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast