Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TetherMe

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default TetherMe
    Installed TetherMe, then uninstalled it... still have tether capabilities Any thoughts?? iP4 4.1

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Have you actually tried to tether since uninstalling it though?

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting...i will try this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Didn't work for me. It was there at first but crashed and dissapeared when I tried to activate it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

I had this happen to me as well. I had to take my iPhone 4 in for service and needed to unjailbreak it. The interesting thing was that the tether option remained after I restored my replacement phone from backup. I never tested to see if it still worked after uninstalling tetherme though.

One word of warning:
    I restored my first replacement iPhone 4 from backup shortly after leaving the Apple store. However, I was having battery drain issues, so I decided to do a full restore since I figured it was probably something left over from my previous jailbreak. When the restore finished, the phone would not activate and iTunes gave me a message along the lines of "the SIM card in this iPhone does not appear to be officially supported," which was odd since I have AT&T. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the phone out of this locked state. So, I took it back and got a second replacement. This time, I did a restore to backup before leaving the Apple store. But, when I got home, I decided to jailbreak again using PwnageTool. Again, the restore failed and I got the "SIM unsupported" message. So, I had to take it back to the Apple store and claim ignorance once again. This time, I did a full restore right away and set the phone up as new. The restore went fine, and I was able to activate the phone and rejailbreak without any problems.

I bring all this up because I would bet that it was something TetherMe did to the phone's CommCenter that was causing the phone to think my SIM was unsupported. Whatever TetherMe does, it clearly does not get reversed when you uninstall the app. If you have used TetherMe and find yourself having to do a restore, I strongly suggest you go into the settings app and reset the network settings first. You might even erase all content and settings just to be safe.

Remember guys, no warez talk here. Thanks.

Also, I use TetherMe with the SBSettings toggle for tethering and I haven't had any problems, but I have read posts around that TetherMe might not be the best app to use...
    Last edited by ajl917; 2010-11-15 at 05:38 PM.