Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Itunes 10 doesn't allow custom IPSW?

Default Itunes 10 doesn't allow custom IPSW?
    I'm trying to install 4.0.1 on my 3g, using iTunes 10, but holding the shift key, while clicking restore, doesn't seem to do anything different. It still tries to download v4.1 and never prompts to select the file I want.

I found a post suggesting I block gs.apple.com, but it did nothing for me, or the other person.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Try rebooting your computer. Mine did this yesterday, a quick reboot fixed it.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are on a Mac it is Option/Shift+Restore.

I thought maybe a reboot would fix it, too, but nothing. It comes up and asks if I want to back up. I tell it no, because I've just done one. The next box gives me Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone,,, My only options are "Restore and Update" or Cancel. Restore and Update brings up the EULA. Clicking agree downloads 4.1.

It's Windows 7

Thanks

Sounds like something is wrong with your iTunes installation. Try completely uninstalling then install again, reboot, then try shift and restore again and see if the browse window comes up.

You can also try closing itunes, then right click on it and run as admin to see if that allows you to shift-click restore.

You may also want to check this thread out: http://modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/3490...e-install.html
    There are a few things you can try in the last few posts on that thread

I'm just gonna hang it up. I found out that I can't upgrade to anything lower than 4.1, anyway. My last jailbreak was 3.0 and I didn't know about apple verifying their updates, so 4.1 is all I'd be able to go to. That's correct, right?

Thanks

You can check if you have SHSH with tiny umbrella or looking at the top of cydia's first page. Whatever you see there is what you can restore to.

It's been quite a while since I've done this, at least a year, so things have changed. Cydia has been acting up, lately, and won't even load. That's one of the reasons for the reinstall/upgrade.

I did discover tiny umbrella and I'm back on track researching.

Is there an up-to-date tutorial for jailbreaking and unlocking a 4.1 iOS on a 3g that will allow me to keep my baseband? I found this, but I'm not sure if it applies.

If it does, once it's up to 4.1, will I need custom firmware?

So, I downloaded and reinstalled iTunes 10.1, rebooting between the uninstall and install completion. Now it's working, allowing me to select an ipsw.
    Last edited by talkinggoat; 2010-11-13 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hallo i would like to ask you how to post my own message ?? Or let me ask you directly i need a help in downloading jailbreak to my iphone 32GB version 4.0.2 !!! Is there chance to have a jailbreak for this version?? Regards

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BiBo123 View Post
    Hallo i would like to ask you how to post my own message ?? Or let me ask you directly i need a help in downloading jailbreak to my iphone 32GB version 4.0.2 !!! Is there chance to have a jailbreak for this version?? Regards
    You see at the bottom left New Post and make sure you start a new thread in the right section.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

BiBo123 (2010-11-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by talkinggoat View Post
    It's been quite a while since I've done this, at least a year, so things have changed. Cydia has been acting up, lately, and won't even load. That's one of the reasons for the reinstall/upgrade.

I did discover tiny umbrella and I'm back on track researching.

Is there an up-to-date tutorial for jailbreaking and unlocking a 4.1 iOS on a 3g that will allow me to keep my baseband? I found this, but I'm not sure if it applies.

If it does, once it's up to 4.1, will I need custom firmware?

So, I downloaded and reinstalled iTunes 10.1, rebooting between the uninstall and install completion. Now it's working, allowing me to select an ipsw.
    Tiny umbrella only preserves baseband on a iPhone 4 so do not try that method and do not restore to 4.1 or you will lose your unlock. For iPhone 3G you need to use pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze to make a custom 4.1 if you want to preserve your baseband and then shift-click restore to that in itunes.

still i didnt know how to post thread can any one help me with my question , i need a jailbreak to version 4.0.2 to iphone 32 Gb ! Thankss in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BiBo123 View Post
    still i didnt know how to post thread can any one help me with my question , i need a jailbreak to version 4.0.2 to iphone 32 Gb ! Thankss in advance
    Google limera1n