Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking For Better iPhone Management Software

Default Looking For Better iPhone Management Software
    Like many of us I've fallen on some hard times, as a result I was forced to disconnect my cell service for my iPhone, I know very tragic. However I've got it hooked up through Acrobits using a SIP account so as long as I have internet access it is still a phone, but I digress. As you may or may not know if you don't have active cell service on your iPhone if you try to connect it to iTunes you'll just be presented with two options, either activate your phone or restore from a previous date. You can't actually see what's on your iPhone or manage any of the content on it. You can drag and drop songs into it, but that's far from the level of functionality you really need to manage your digital life. Sidenote: I think it's a **** move on Apple's part to essentially make iTunes ignore your iPhone if it has no cell service. I mean an iPhone that can't make phone calls is an iTouch, I'm sure iTunes could handle it. That aside I've been looking for some sort of software that would remedy this situation. Thus far most everything I've looked at is FAIL to the power of 10. I finally settled on CopyTrans Manager. It get's the job done, but again rather poorly. To the reason for this thread, does anyone know of any program that would be a suitable iTunes surrogate or if there is perhaps a work around to make iTunes play nice with my iPhone?

iPhone 3G
    Version 3.1.2
    information wants to be free

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Ahh, I dont understand. I have a iPhone 3G that has no sim card in it that my kid uses and I am able to use itunes with it just like I would any other idevice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

setotitan (2010-11-13)

I just tried taking the sim card out and I'm getting the same thing:

Clicking either one would wipe information on my phone, and since I haven't done an update in forever I'd be losing information I can't afford to lose. If you have a workaround that'd be great, other wise I'm still looking for some iTunes replacement software.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

That is normal. Just set it up as new and it will let you access everything again. It will not erase anything on your iphone. Do not choose to sync anything yet though.

Very cool, I'm at work but will try when I get home. I posted this question on 3 different forums and no one had that kind of answer, thanks for taking the time to help. Will report back later.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried putting it into Airplane mode before running itunes?

No sir, another excellent suggestion.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

When I had a 3G unlocked to Tmo I used to have to use airplane mode to Sync, etc.

I tried Airplane mode, but did not get the desired result. However I don't think I actually needed that. I just needed to x98car's advice and set it up as new. It took quite a while to get everything synced right, however it works great now! I can't believe how much time I wasted because I was mistaken. I mean months I've been dealing with this! I'm so glad I found this forum and was able to remedy my problem. Thanks so much!