Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help downgrading 3g back to 3.1.2

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Need help downgrading 3g back to 3.1.2
    I've had 3.1.2 for the past few months and because cydia was acting up, I decided to do a restore back to 3.1.2. I've done this procedure 3-4 times with blackrain. For whatever reason, Apple got tricky and without my knowledge upgraded my 3g to the latest 4.1 software. Is there ANY way I can downgrade and re-jailbreak/unlock? I think I should add that I am also on T-mobile. If I can't downgrade, how can I jailbreak & unlock this software???

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

You can downgrade by downloading the 3.1.2 firmware yourself and shift-click restoring to it, but you will not be able to unlock again. However a new unlock for the 4.1 baseband should be out very soon, maybe even as soon as this weekend.

Green Apple
    Thanks

so basiclly..it won't work with t-mobile?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^Correct. If you use 'standard Apple software' ... your baseband (aka: unlock) is PERMANENTLY upgraded. Currently, no unlock exists for 4.1 baseband (jailbreak: Yes, unlock for any carrier SIM: No).

However, you (and the rest of us) might be very very lucky and get an unlock in a few days. Watch for it

Just remember for the future versions (4.3, 5.x, etc), never upgraded using 'standard Apple software/firmware' unless you are absolutely sure there is an unlock available.

Green Apple
    Thanks

well thats no fun! just when i get a handle on restoring, apple has to come and take it away! *sigh* i'm still trying to figure out HOW it upgraded when i only got as far as shift+restore 3.1.2

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When you hold down the shift key, then press the restore button in iTunes, a NEW window must open. This new 'file selection' window allows you do choose the file you want to use. The new window location was likely where iTunes already downloaded the standard version ... and you selected that one. ... Or you didn't get a new window which means the shift key was not fully depressed. It's very easy to overlook a small but important detail and get stuck.

Green Apple
    Thanks

nope the "select file" window popped up and i clicked the file that i've had on my USB card for the longest time.

I'm trying everything i can think of, i was able to make a custom firmware w/ snowbreeze. It'll accept the file BUT itunes just continues to say "preparing" or whatever and the iphone will stay on the screen that shows that its restoring.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Did you run Redsn0w, and follow Redsn0w's countdown timer to get the iPhone into DFU mode? This must be done before iTunes shift/click/restore.

Note: PwnageTool (Mac only) has this build in, so it's much easier.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i *think* i just got it back to 3.1.2! i got it to unlock then i used blackrain. Now its just adding in my backup from earlier. HOPEFULLY i fixed the problem!! i'm perfectly fine w/ not having the latest software! Off to find some Wifi to install cydia!!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Check your bootloader with f0recast (from ih8sn0w.com). You might be able to downgrade your baseband to unlock without having to wait for the new one. You can also check and downgrade bb with Fuzzyband from Cydia. Your bootloader has to be 5.08 to work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i got it to unlock and i *think* jailbreak back to 3.1.2 BUT now Cydia won't open. Should i just restore and unlock again??

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yep, do it again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok i checked my bootloader and its 5.9. What do i do?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can't downgrade the baseband, sorry. That bootloader isn't compatible. You'll have to wait for the new unlock.

Iv had my phone on 4.0.2 and 4.1 and now I'm back to 4.0 and jailbroke.