Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jumpy scrolling help.

Default Jumpy scrolling help.
    Tried a couple of themes of cydia earlier now my scrolling is incredibly jerky. I've removed all packages that I tried disabled everything in winterboard but to no avail. I can't do a restore through iTunes cos I'll lose my unlock and I'm very wary about the tinyumbrella thing because if I cock it up I've got no backup phone! Do you think a hard reset would work? If so would I lose my unlock and jail break? Any thoughts or input much appreciated.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think it's just a general slowdown from over time with a jb phone. If removing things isn't helping, a fresh restore will do it. You have options to restore and preserve your baseband depending on your device, certain tools will do it. So what device and firmware are you on?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Tazz229 (2011-01-20)

Hiya mate thanx for reply...
    It's an iPhone 4
    FW 4.0.1
    BB 01.59.00
    thing is I've only had it two wk and only started today after messing around with themes (lesson to be learnt I think) do you not think a reset would help? It's my first experience with iPhone/mac... I'm normally a nokia person but have since converted lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I don't think a hard reset will help much. iPhone 4 is really easy to handle actually, so I wouldn't worry about the concerns of restoring.

Do you want me to help you restore? I will get you to 4.1 and maintain your unlock. There are 2 methods. Do you own a Mac?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Tazz229 (2011-01-20)

Would really appreciate mate thank you! Thing is I'm at work and won't be able to get to my laptop (Win7 btw) until around 6pm uk time, not sure where you are lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah I'm at work too. I'll write you up a guide tonight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Tazz229 (2011-01-20)

Your a legend thank you very much, appreciate it!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Ok I'm going to give you the steps now so you can try later. The first thing you want to do is to back everything up. Be aware that we wont be restoring from back up because it might bring this problem you have now back, so you will be losing your photos, contacts, and jailbreak apps. So back your photos up to your comp, back your contacts up to a third party like Google Contacts or Microsoft Outlook. Your apps and music will be fine in iTunes to sync back, as long as you right-click your device in iTunes and select "transfer purchases" to get anything in your phone that isn't already on iTunes into iTunes.

Alright, let's being:

1) download a stock 4.1 ipsw (get it from felixbruns.de)

2) download TinyUmrella (Google, first link)

3) download limera1n or greenpois0n (limera1n.com or greenpois0n.com)

4) make sure iTunes is closed and everything else including antivirus, instant messengers, etc that doesnt need to be running.

5) now with your phone plugged in, open TinyUmbrella. Run the TSS server. Just give it a minute to get up and running to be safe.

4) now open iTunes. Set your phone into DFU mode. Hold the home and power buttons for 10 seconds, then release the power button and keep holding the home button until iTunes pops up saying it has detected a device on recovery mode.

5) click ok, then you should see a screen with the update and restore buttons. Hold down shift on your keyboard and click on restore. You should be able to select a firmware to restore to now. Select the stock 4.1 ipsw.

6) let iTunes finish restoring.

7) you should no be stuck at the emergency call screen.

8) take either limera1n or greenpois0n (whichever you chose, I used Limera1n) and run it on your phone. Follow the on-screen instructions the tool(s) give you with your phone. It involves putting your phone into DFU again so just be prepared for those steps. Don't worry, it will give you the steps and timer so just follow the instructions carefully and quickly.

9) I've never used GP before so you might have to look up a guide on Google on how it works. It's pretty straightforward and easy tho, so I'm told. But I'll give you instructions on Limera1n since that's what I used. So after Limera1n finishes, open the Limera1n app on your phone and install Cydia. Then after, install Ultrasn0w from Cydia. You'll need wifi to do these things.

10) after installing ultrasn0w, open iTunes and it will ask you to set the phone up as new or restore from back up. We will set the phone up as new. You should be able to sync and get your apps and music back in.

11) because you are hacktivating, you might run into some problems. If you have the syncing problem, go back to step 1 and do it all over again. If not, you might have push and YouTube problems. Follow these next steps to fix these problems.

12) go to Cydia and navigate to manage>sources>edit>add and install these two repos:

"Cydia.pushfix.info"
    "www.cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt"

From the first repo, install one of the various YouTube Fix (doesn't matter which, just find the one that works).

From the second repo, install Push Doctor to fix push notifications.

Good luck and let me know if you run into any problems. Oh yeah, when running any jb tool and TinyUmbrella, don't forget to run them as administrator.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Tazz229 (2010-11-10)

Can i just point out something ive just found out.... The jumpy scrolling only happens in this forum mainly, and ever so slightly in facebook app. Safari, cydia, app store etc are all fine as well as games and things does that make any sense?

Many thanx for the info i'll still upgrade save itunes asking me everytime i plug in

P.s if something goes wrong is it bricked or can i get it back somehow?

P.p.s is tinyumbrella 4.1.13 the right one?
    Last edited by Tazz229; 2010-11-10 at 07:51 PM. Reason: .

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well it could just be something you installed in Cydia maybe. B/c my iPhone 4 doesn't ever lag or skip in anything.

Check any recent Cydia apps you've installed and uninstall them to see if it helps. It would suck if you upgrade then the problem came back b/c you reinstalled something.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Tazz229 (2011-01-20)

ok i pretty much removed everything installed through cydia the only apps i have left are from itunes. Its pretty much cured the problem everywhere except the forum pages of this site. Weird.... The news tab scrolls fine!! I dont get it. You still think its worth upgrading?

Just to make sure i got the right ones is tinyumbrella 4.1.13 the right one?
    and also iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw

When you say run tss server do you mean press the button saying Start Tss Server? It mentions saved SHSH or summat and i dont have any previous saved...
    Last edited by Tazz229; 2010-11-10 at 08:20 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes press the TSS server to run it. You should hit the save SHSHs anyway just so you can save them for future use.

iPhone3,1 is the correct firmware you would use.

I think you should upgrade just cuz you wanna restore anyway since you're still experiencing the lag. And yes that's the right version if TinyUmbrella you mentioned.

Ok cool... One last question sorry but like i said im new to this, if i need to restore again at any point im right in thinking ill have to use tinyumb' each time until there is a crack for my baseband yeah?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well I have seen many people who have done the TinyUmbrella method on their iP4 and they actually can't get their basebands to change after. So the baseband seems to be permanently preserved (for now, until 4.2 comes out then we'll see). So you probably wont be able to upgrade the baseband if you do the TinyUmbrella thing the first time. But just to be safe, use it always if you need to restore again.

Ok I'll give it s go later on fingers crossed lol. Thanx for all your help really appreciate it.

Sean

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No problem, let me know how it goes. Good luck :$

Sorry wrong smiley, I meant this one lol
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-11 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost