Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs severe battery drain after 4.1 update with pwnage tool

Default 3gs severe battery drain after 4.1 update with pwnage tool
    K so i updated my girlfriends 3gs from 4.0.2 to 4.1 using pwnage tool last night, but today at 10am it was at 100% and by 3:30 it was at 10% and all she was doing was adding contacts.

I reset her network settings but that didnt help at all and i didnt restore it from a backup so its a fresh install. Any ideas on what could be causing this or how to fix it. i would rather not restore it again because i spent forever re-adding everything cydia and the app store (gee sure would be nice if cydia could backup everything!!)

Have a look at battery doctor in the app store could be of some use

Also I found disabling push notifications saved alot on power

well ive narrowed it down to push notifications is causing it to constantly send and receive about 5kb of data every second, but this is even when those apps are closed and it doesnt happen on my other phone with identical firmware.

but i dont want to have to turn push off because i use whatsapp and that needs to use push to be any use

Stuck between a rock and a hard place then mate. If that's the problem and you need to use it then I think it's just something your gonna have to live with. Try disabling any others you don't use all the time, also turn off wifi and 3G and bluetooth when not in use that can help a bit too, and dim the screen a bit.

but its not like this is just something that the phone does.. i have two 3gs's both on the same firmware and one will drain from 100% - 50 while the other one goes from 100% - 15% in the exact same time just sitting on the table with nothing open and just the screen set to always on.

after 10 mins the one phone has transfered like 25mb while the one at 50% hasnt sent or recieved a single byte

both with comletely fresh restores with only one app installed :S
    Last edited by MikeThomson; 2010-11-09 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If you chose to hacktivate and your push is not working then install push doctor from cydia. Add this repo to find it: cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt/

This should stop any push notification related issues from draining the battery.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

MikeThomson (2010-11-09)

i think i did choose to activate it, thanks alot ill try that out

Push doctor didnt fix my problem.. infact it actually stopped push from working all together.. my push works fine its just the phone keeps sending and recieving data so its draining the battery :S
    Last edited by MikeThomson; 2010-11-10 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThomson View Post
    my push works fine its just the phone keeps sending and recieving data so its draining the battery :S
    Push notifications are constantly communicating with the app/server/site to check for changes/updates so thus are constantly using batt power and data. The more notifications the more power and data. In my opinion we all just too bloody lazy to manually check for updates ha ha Remember when we didn't have these notifications? Was it really so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz229 View Post
    Push notifications are constantly communicating with the app/server/site to check for changes/updates so thus are constantly using batt power and data. The more notifications the more power and data. In my opinion we all just too bloody lazy to manually check for updates ha ha Remember when we didn't have these notifications? Was it really so bad?
    take your phone and go to the data usage section in your setting and look at it now exit it and go right back into it your numbers will be exactly the same.. if i look at mine every minute the number has changed by over 1mb this is not what push is supposed to do.. i have 2 3gs with nothing else on them except one app all for testing purposes and one racks up data the other stays at zero.. and also lasts twice as long before dying..