Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Strange Problem in 3gs factory unlocked

Default Strange Problem in 3gs factory unlocked
    guys..... i need a help. yesterday i faced a weird problem. a friend of mine brought his iphone 3gs new bootrom 32 gb factory unlocked to me. it was in restore mode. its 3 months old. my friend told me that for last 1 week phone used to restart on its own sometimes. so he tried reflashing firmware ios4.1 and it gave an error of 1013 and stuck in restore mode.

then i took it into dfu mode and reflashed with ios4.1 and it gave me error of 1013. i tried in recover mode... but flashing dint start in recover mode. then i again took it into dfu mode and did the restore and it gave error of 1002. then i ran limera1n and the phone booted and jailbroken but no network. as its factory unlocked it was supposed to get the network but it dint. then i went into about in settings and found out that baseband shows nothing, bluetooth shows 00:00:00:00:00 and wifi is greyed out.

so this is the problem. what do you guys think? cheers

no1!!!
    Last edited by dying4004; 2010-11-07 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Sounds like for whatever reason the baseband has been erased or is corrupt. Not sure if there is an easy way to fix such a thing. Have you tried restoring on both Mac and windows?

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Sounds like for whatever reason the baseband has been erased or is corrupt. Not sure if there is an easy way to fix such a thing. Have you tried restoring on both Mac and windows?
    yeah i have tried in both mac and windows. same result. can baseband chip be replaced or repaired?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

What happens after error 1013? Have you tried kicking it out of recovery mode after error 1013 (after restoring to 4.1) with TinyUmbrella? Should take you to the emergency call screen in which you can proceed to jb with limera1n or greenpois0n.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    What happens after error 1013? Have you tried kicking it out of recovery mode after error 1013 (after restoring to 4.1) with TinyUmbrella? Should take you to the emergency call screen in which you can proceed to jb with limera1n or greenpois0n.
    after 1013 error i flashed again and this time it produced 1002 error. then i ran limera1n and it booted normally, jailbroken but no signal. its factory unlocked so no need for unlock. but in about--- baseband field is blank, bluetooth 00:00:00:00:00:00 and wifi is greyed out.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Try restoring again. You want error 1013, it's not a bad error. Try getting away from error 1002. I don't know why you can get error 1013 then next thing you get 1002. 1002 isn't a good sign at all...

Error 1013 means your restore was successful, the baseband just failed to change (which is normal). That's why you want that error if any. Upon getting 1013, kick it out of recovery mode first before running any jailbreak tools on it.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-07 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

He has a factory unlocked iPhone and is restoring to 4.1. He should not be getting any errors during the restore. It is only normal if he was trying to downgrade. I have seen this before when the baseband is corrupted. Even after successfully getting it to boot. Nothing shows up in settings-about. Which is not a good sign.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's the thing, error 1013 is a baseband change failure. I've always gotten it on my 3G when restore. It is weird that it is doing it during an upgrade tho.

There is now some issues with the baseband. It's messed up. That's probably why 1013 is happening cuz no baseband is being flashed at all. Very good point x98car. It was probably ok before but with all that restoring, it seems like the phone got messed up along the way.

Thanks

Ya something has definitely gone screwy. During a regular restore the baseband is always flashed but since he is restoring to 4.1 it should just be flashing the same baseband in which case it shouldnt fail. So it looks like there are 2 things that could have happened. Either his baseband is corrupt/erased which is a very bad thing. Or he has at some point been on one of the 4.2 betas, which would cause that error and it would be expected.

a'rite guys. thnx so much for ur point of views. and this is exactly what i suspected. but my friend dint have 4.2 beta as he is pretty much ignornt about these. it must be corrupted hardware. just to confirm something....... there is no way to fix a corrupted baseband with flashing... right?

Thanks

Not that I know of. If a restore in dfu isn't working to reflash the baseband then there isn't much you can do.

Thanks

You may want to give updating to 4.2 a shot when it comes out though. Won't hurt to try.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah 4.2 is probably the only chance. Ive seen people with no baseband because of something similar to this, and I have yet to see a real working solution for it. Sorry to say, it might be time for a new phone. Keep trying different things tho...wouldn't hurt. Maybe a fluke of a miracle will happen.

if its only three months old take it back to apple and they will gve you a new one