Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Cydia/winterboard update

  1. #1
    Default Cydia/winterboard update
    So cydia has it's problems. And winterboard won't do high res icons for iPhone 4. These both seem like pretty big deal tools in the jailbreak world. Why aren't they getting updated? Is there any info on how long until they do something? I feel like jailbreaking has turned into n64. I'm the only kid on the block who hasn't forgotten about it.

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    i believe both are being worked on at this time

  3. #3
    Winterboard is nearly useless right now for themeing, and that's what it's been most popular for. It is in dire need of an update.

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Not sure what you're talking about. Hi-res icons work fine on the i4. Why else would there be all the HD themes for sale?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  5. #5
    They either are pixelated or GIGANTIC but not fit for the retina display

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by stoopkid View Post
    They either are pixelated or GIGANTIC but not fit for the retina display
    It's because they need to be named a certain way. Try downloading one of the HD themes and see how they do it. It does really work, I've had it myself on my i4.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  7. #7
    I've downloaded a bunch trying to test it and I havn't found even one that works. Could you name one in particular and it's repo so I can see? I've really tried 10 or so and they are all wrong. I am looking for ones labeled "hd" "for iphone4" "retina" etc

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to stoopkid For This Useful Post:

    mahgninnuc93 (2010-11-07)

  9. #8
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    ipro 4hd and idivinorumHD work just fine, in fact every one I've purchased that was for the iPhone 4 has worked flawlessly

  10. #9
    Hmm it seems you're right. It's odd that so many other "hd" themes aren't like this.

    Do you happen to know if there's any fancy stuff going on in the background, or can I just use the file names and image sizes to reproduce this?

  11. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 382 Times in 368 Posts

    This is the one I used: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ing-glass.html

    I think it's just a matter of putting that "2@" part (without quotes) in front of the icon name, but I'm not absolutely sure. I don't mess around with themes that much.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

  12. #11
    I have my own icons made for my theme and they all work great. Even upscaled icons from my 3GS look good. Not as good as my custom ones from a higher resolution icons, but even the upscaled ones look good. Have you named them correctly?
    HK-Z on Game Center

  13. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, U.K
    Posts
    1,512
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 123 Times in 101 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    Winterboard is nearly useless right now for themeing, and that's what it's been most popular for. It is in dire need of an update.
    What the hell are people talking about? Wb is in no way useless, that is bs.. And hi res icons not working? Just put @2x at the end of them and make sure their the right size.. I wish people would look into stuff before they post things like this.. I'm not being mean or anything, but isn't it pretty obvious that hi res icons work being as there is well over 200 iphone4 themes???

    iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

  14. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, U.K
    Posts
    1,512
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 123 Times in 101 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    This is the one I used: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ing-glass.html

    I think it's just a matter of putting that "2@" part (without quotes) in front of the icon name, but I'm not absolutely sure. I don't mess around with themes that much.
    Not quite, it needs to be "@2x" at the end of the name like so:
    "[email protected]"

    iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    What the hell are people talking about? Wb is in no way useless, that is bs.. And hi res icons not working? Just put @2x at the end of them and make sure their the right size.. I wish people would look into stuff before they post things like this.. I'm not being mean or anything, but isn't it pretty obvious that hi res icons work being as there is well over 200 iphone4 themes???
    I too wish you people would look before posting utter nonsense... like yours.

    Most "HD" themes are done right now using bundles, NOT an 'Icons' folder like before. If you're still on a 2G, 3G, or 3GS then it will work just fine, but the iPhone 4 is different. That is the whole reason sites like this have sprouted up.

    Simply renaming all your icons with @2x at the end and dumping them in an 'Icons' folder like before does not work on the iPhone 4 and never has. For example, download Classica3 and look how it is packaged. It's all bundles.

    So, like I initially stated, it is possible to theme with WB, but it's a huge pain in the butt. WB needs an update.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to skizo For This Useful Post:

    davez (2010-11-10)

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    I too wish you people would look before posting utter nonsense... like yours.

    Most "HD" themes are done right now using bundles, NOT an 'Icons' folder like before. If you're still on a 2G, 3G, or 3GS then it will work just fine, but the iPhone 4 is different. That is the whole reason sites like this have sprouted up.

    Simply renaming all your icons with @2x at the end and dumping them in an 'Icons' folder like before does not work on the iPhone 4 and never has. For example, download Classica3 and look how it is packaged. It's all bundles.

    So, like I initially stated, it is possible to theme with WB, but it's a huge pain in the butt. WB needs an update.
    you're looking at it all wrong. Winterboard isn't the issue it's the themes are now done differently. It's the themes that need updates NOT necessarily winterboard. That's why putting @2x and placing them all in one folder won't work, it's all done differently in ios 4. (not just iphone 4).

    And cydia works fine but is getting some sort of update to work on 4.2
    I think people are just too damn impatient. Oh no! you have to wait 20 seconds to update the package listing!

  18. #16
    It seems to me like it's much more efficient to have the software work out those things than the user. It works but not as well as it could so yeah I think it still needs an update. And as for cydia I'm not concerned with how long it takes to load the listings, I'm concerned with bugs like getting errors for dead repositories that I've deleted. I shouldn't have to ssh into my phone from a computer just to remove them. And that fixya software doesn't work. It also works poorly with multitasking. I shouldn't have to wait for the whole thing to reload and reselect packages just because I want to check google before installing them.

    My problem with it is that it simply does not live up to it's potential on the iphone4 and there's practically no communication from these developers. I just don't want to be in the dark.

  19. #17
    I don't understand the frustration. Winterboard works like a champ for me on my iPhone 4, then again I don't buy themes I roll my own. The way you have to package parts of a theme is a little more work due to iOS 4.x but it's not that hard overall. Theming has changed every time a new major firmware hits the street.
    HK-Z on Game Center

  20. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
    you're looking at it all wrong. Winterboard isn't the issue it's the themes are now done differently. It's the themes that need updates NOT necessarily winterboard. That's why putting @2x and placing them all in one folder won't work, it's all done differently in ios 4. (not just iphone 4).

    And cydia works fine but is getting some sort of update to work on 4.2
    I think people are just too damn impatient. Oh no! you have to wait 20 seconds to update the package listing!
    I'm well aware that themes are now done differently; that's the whole point.

    WB has not kept up with how the new iPhone handles images and their naming structure. Until it gets an update, it is still going by the 2G/3G/3GS naming structure and thus, needs an update. It is still very much possible to theme with WB, but it's far more work than it should be.

    As for Cydia, I don't think it's even been mentioned in this thread so I don't know you're going on about there...

  21. #19
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I'm not sure you understand that Winterboard doesn't have anything to do with the themes. Winterboard is the app that runs the theme, the theme that needs update is up to the themer to do. It's like Winterboard is a DVD player. It's a very good DVD player but for some reason the DVD you put in shows poor graphics and special effects. It's not the player that does this, it's the creator of the content on the DVD that's responsible for the poor quality. If you stick a playstation game into the DVD player, it's obviously not going to work because it isn't compatible. Like WB, if a theme isn't compatible, it won't work. You can't update the DVD player to play PS games just like you can't update WB to auto-adjust the themes. It isn't made to adjust the themes, it's made to apply them to the phone.

    There are some new themes out now usually include "HD" in the title to let you know it is for the new iPhone/iPod Touch. The reason why many themes on Cydia only support devices under iOS 4 is because since 2007, that's the format it has always been. With the new iOS 4, things have changed recently and of course there won't be many themes yet for it. If all the themers on Cydia decide to update their themes to correct the format of the names, then it would be more abundant. But chances are, those themers haven't got the time anymore. The very best themers here on MMi are coming out rapidly with new themes and updates on their older themes compatible for iOS 4 and iPhone 4/iPT 4g. So get one of those themes and surely your Winterboard problems will be over
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-09 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  22. #20
    Okay Ive run into a problem. The way these icons are sorted is more complicated. Im using an HD simpsons theme to figure mine out. But how do i find the folder names for things not on this theme? for instance ive tried "MobileRSS Pro" with the folder name "com.xiangjiyang.mobilerss" but thats not it. How do i find out? Do i have to guess ever and over?

    also tried
    com.xiangjiyang.mobilersspro
    com.mobilerss.iphone
    com.mobilersspro.iphone

    ...nothing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -direct.jpg  
    Last edited by stoopkid; 2010-11-10 at 05:20 AM. Reason: update

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •