Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reverse Tethering, Ethernet to iPhone at work (locked phone)

Default Reverse Tethering, Ethernet to iPhone at work (locked phone)
    Hi!

I have a sweet Ethernet connection at work on my laptop, but the wireless coverage in my office is shoddy at best. I've found lots and lots of apps that are supposed to let your laptop use your phone as a tether to the internet, but I want to do the opposite; I want my phone to get to the internet via my laptop's connection.

I realize this wouldn't be as much of an issue if my phone wasn't locked (I'm waiting for the 4.2 unlock, specs below)... but I also don't want to use up valuable data/3G minutes (t-mobile) to download apps when I'm sitting on a T1 cable for free.

I've tried using bluetooth to connect the two devices without much luck.

It's against the rules to bring in my own wireless router to the office. Plus the way IP addresses are assigned I'd probably have trouble with that anyway.

Any help would be great!

I have a jailbroken iphone 3G, v. 4.1 (8B117), modem firmware 05.14.02, T-mobile. (I had it unlocked once before I updated.) Jailbroke using the P

I couldn't really say dude . . . I tried looking for something and found nothing. I think USB is just men't for USB :/

This should actually be pretty easy. If you are using a windows PC just enable Internet Connection Sharing on your Local Area Connection and select your wireless connection (assuming you have one) on your laptop as the interface you would like to share with. Then just create an Ad Hoc wireless network with your wireless adapter. Go to your wireless settings in your iphone and select the network you just created. That should be it.

Now that I think about it you will probably have to create the ad hoc network first, then enable sharing on your LAN.
    Last edited by Razz; 2010-11-05 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:

T0X1CAT3D (2010-11-06)

Never knew that but that's with just a laptop :/ Thanks for the info considering I also learned something new

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    This should actually be pretty easy. If you are using a windows PC ...

Now that I think about it you will probably have to create the ad hoc network first, then enable sharing on your LAN.
    I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8... I've tried to turn on internet sharing but I keep getting prompted for 802.1X thing.

I've tried creating a Computer to Computer network and sharing my internet connection through the Airport, and although I can log into my laptop's network with my iphone, I don't seem to have an internet connection.

This has been annoying me for weeks now.

After reading a few other of the topics on this site, I decided to try changing the MBP firewall settings - AND IT WORKED.

As others have said I could see the wireless on my iPhone, but the internet wasn't working. It started working straight away as soon as I did the following:

Go To system Preferences - security - firewall

Then go to Advanced, and uncheck "Block all incoming connections"

I left the other settings as they were (i.e. stealth mode on) and I'm afraid I don't know the security implications of what I did, but it works!

This is all I could think of. I don't own a MAC but found this article, probably something to take into consideration???