Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I need some help with this please...

Default I need some help with this please...
    Ok so I bought a iPhone 3gs unlocked and jailbroken from Craigslist. It is a MC model with a baseband 5.13.04 and 4.0 firmware. I want to restore it because I can't get the old owners itunes account off of the device and its driving me crazy. I tried resetting all settings, everything except RESTORE. My question is, is it ok for me RESTORE since its not downgrading the firmware. Will I be ok as far as jailbreaking it and unlocking it again when its restored?? Im thinking i can just restore it to 4.0 then do a quick jailbreak and ultrasn0w it. Can I get some help on this please? Thanks guys
    No link... Thanks

U need to make sure it has shsh blobs on file before u do anything

Thanks

The first thing I recommend is to download and run TinyUmbrella version 4.1.12 on your 3GS. Have it retrieve all your stored SHSH blobs from Cydia. You want to make sure TinyUmbrella was able to retreive your SHSH blobs for firmware 4.0 or 4.0.1, otherwise you will not be able to restore those firmwares in iTunes.

If TinyUmbrella was able to retieve your SHSH blobs for either 4.0 or 4.0.1, then do the following:

1) Start TinyUmbrella and click "Start TTS Server".

2) Open iTunes 9.2 or higher and restore firmware 4.0 or 4.1.

3) Before you can jailbreak using JailBreakMe method, you will need to activate your 3GS using a legitimate SIM carrier like AT&T in iTunes. You can borrow a friends AT&T SIM to do this.

4) Open Safari and type: jailbreakme.com

5) Slide to jailbreak. This is the easiest jailbreak for people on 4.0 or 4.0.1.

I recommend that you stay at 4.0. There is no compelling reason to upgrade to 4.1, unless you need the GameCenter.

FYI: Do not restore a stock apple firmware for 4.1, unless you don't care about losing your ability to unlock your iPhone 3GS for any carrier.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2010-11-01)

Thanks

I just had the same scenario and all I had to do was go to settings> store, then log out and log back in with my account. Or am I missing something ?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    The first thing I recommend is
    Great tutorial, nice job.

Pig, I believe your method makes sense also.

Thanks. It a lil bit different in my case. There's like an app that hasn't finished download under the guys Apple ID and everytime I go into the app store it asks for his password. What if I don't have any saved SHSH blobs on TinyUmbrella? Should I save the current one?
    No link... Thanks

Thanks

So what happens exactly when you go into settings then store and hit "log out"?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It probably just brings the previous owner's stuff back on. This keeps happening on my friend's phone. I do all the jb and syncing on our phones since we share a family plan and stuff, so I do her phone stuff too. My account keeps popping up on her phone regardless of her signing out and entering her own account. When she tries to download or update an app, it just gives the password popup with my account as the login. I have yet to fix it, but I think a resync to her own iTunes account should do the trick. I'll come back and post about it when I get to do it, if this isn't solved by then.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

So when u open the App Store and it asks for the password, what happens when u hit Cancel?

If it takes that password popup away, go to the Featured Apps tab-scroll to the bottom- and log him out! Then log yourself in using an Existing Account...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It shows you're logged in to your account but once you try to install something or update an app, the password popup shows the previous account. The App store will tell you you're in your personal account, but when it asks for the password, it asks for the one for the previous account.

If you hit cancel, you log in, it will still ask you for the password.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-02 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

...or, call the Craigslist guy and see if he can meet u to finish downloading HIS app and then log him out when it's done downloading!!!! And then delete his app in front of his face! J/K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    It shows you're logged in to your account but once you try to install something or update an app, the password popup shows the previous account. The App store will tell you you're in your personal account, but when it asks for the password, it asks for the one for the previous account.

If you hit cancel, you log in, it will still ask you for the password.
    Oh..I see...that sux!

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    It probably just brings the previous owner's stuff back on. This keeps happening on my friend's phone. I do all the jb and syncing on our phones since we share a family plan and stuff, so I do her phone stuff too. My account keeps popping up on her phone regardless of her signing out and entering her own account. When she tries to download or update an app, it just gives the password popup with my account as the login. I have yet to fix it, but I think a resync to her own iTunes account should do the trick. I'll come back and post about it when I get to do it, if this isn't solved by then.
    THIS IS EXACTLY WHATS HAPPENING!!!! I possibly won't do a restore until a 4.1 unlock is available though. You guys hit it right on the head though.

The only bad thing is I can't really download an app. *shrug*
    Last edited by JonFolse; 2010-11-02 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Have you guys tried deleting all of the apps that were on the phone from the app store when you first got the phone?

I had this issue where my iPhone had my apps and my friends from his iTunes it kept asking me to log in and bringing up his iTunes account log in.

I had to delete all of the applications that he downloaded on there with his iTunes account. And never had the problem since.

Sucks you lose any games/ apps that someone else paid for but I guess it's a convenience thing.

Thanks

You can extract those apps with SSH as a backup....

Thanks

BTW, does Cydia show that u have your SHSH on file? Silly question but it's never been answered (I think).

There's like a Bing app that's on here already that is faded with the words "waiting" underneath. I go into the app store and it says installed but I can't open it or uninstall it. I did download iFile but I can't locate it anywhere. It's weird. Thanks for the input.

Thanks

So what about Cydia showing if u have SHSH on file (it's at the top of their Homepage)?!?! If u do, then u can restore to 4.x! Please let us know...

No there is no shsh on file from what I can see.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast