Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Black Screen on 3G, won't restore

Default Black Screen on 3G, won't restore
    So today for some reason (no idea why) when I went to use my iPhone 3G (Unlocked on 4.1 via Pwnage Mac) the screen was totally black (not lit up)

I plugged it into iTunes and it came up in Restore Mode. So I try just restoring the phone to a custom 4.1 and it gives me error 1604.

After this I put the phone into DFU mode and try to restore. Now the screen lights up and the normal Apple logo and restore stuff shows up on it. The phone gets to 99.9% done on "Verifying iPhone Firmware" and then stops with an "Unknown Error (6)" message.

When I get the Error 6, the phone will cut off and the screen will go black again, with the phone then showing up in iTunes in Restore Mode again. I have tried multiple USB ports and cords and I keep getting the same error.

I tried using iRecovery for Mac but it can't see the phone at all. I just get "Got USB No iPhone/Pod Found" messages.

Anyone have any idea on what to do in this situation?

Use pwnage 4.1.2 to put your phone in DFU - do not do it manually.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I have tried going into DFU with Pwnage and without. Neither way worked.

Also I should say that I actually unlocked with ultrasn0w in 4.0.1 and updated to 4.1 via Pwnage. My phone had been working fine for a week before this happened.

Is there perhaps a way to restore my phone to just a jailbreak? Could I just use Apple's official firmware and jailbreak that?

I'm okay with losing the unlock and using another phone until 4.2. I just want to be able to use the iPod and other apps, since the iPhone is my main media device. I use it to hook into both my home and car stereo and for playing video etc during the day.
    Last edited by notworksafe; 2010-10-31 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost