I like to drink and write. It's better than drinking and arguing with nincompoops at parties. So here's a very rough draft regarding jailbreaking. Nothing original. Just an exercise/outline. With some considerable polish it could even pass for average freshman-level writing. Comments nonetheless warmly appreciated.

It's exhilirating each time I jailbreak my iPhone. I enjoy that, but would prefer I didn't have to and could get reassurance from Apple. They sold me a computer, but contrary to all computing history and in stark contradiction to Apple's own contributions to personal computing, they won't support the hardware if i run modified software on it.

They know they didn't sell me a piece of junk. The 3g was my first "smartphone" and everything else pales in comparison. A few years ago I paid $200 for a Nokia that capable of a 1-gig SD card and mp3 playback, and claimed to have Web access. Some providers sell that kind of crap even now. I wondered at the time, how difficult could it be to load a document of pure text??

While I'm using only the 2nd-gen iPhone 3g, the 4th-gen iPhone has twice the clock speed of the original iMac from a decade ago, and holds a bit more data -- that's a nice beast -- but the restrictions hold. What's amazing is how Apple has been consistently following the steps of, if not *years* behind, the jailbreakers, with innovative adjustments to the iOS platform.

Apple doesn't think you're capable of operating your own computer. If you want something "customizable", you'll have to get some off-brand hardware, probably designed by foreigners, not in California, like Apple hardware. Except, Apple's iPhones use *brilliant* hardware that is *great* for customizing.

A few examples (these will need more precision and sourcing):

App Store -- Anyone remember how Apple pretended 3rd-party development (i.e. games, apps, an app store) on the original iPhone in 2007 would only happen in the distant future? "Pwned" is the correct expression, because Apple has been playing catch-up ever since. Seemed bizarre at the time -- as if the App Store were an afterthought. (Details)

Theming -- you'd think there isn't enough screen real estate to really take over the machine like you would a Mac or PC. And I have zero sense of visual creativity -- the default iOS looks cool, sure, I wouldn't have thought to modify it, until I saw the screenshots of what can be done pervasively, throughout the phone's interface, to make it shine and customized. (Winterboard, Summerboard, specific comparison to the official iOS4 theming)

Multitasking -- this was always possible on the hardware, but only official until 2010 on iOS 4.0, and the official implementation is not well-received. (says who) It is certainly a huge resources suck, on the 3g at least. I haven't enabled it yet on jailbroken iOS 3.1.3, but it would be a very convenient thing to toggle on and off when I have an app that needs to stay open while I briefly do something else.

SpringBoard organization -- Organization of apps on the SpringBoard is still very messy on iOS 4.0 folders. Each folder is limited to 12 icons, with no subfolders. (Jailbreakers extend this with Infinifolders.) Before folders and the newer app organization interface in iTunes, it was *ridiculous*. No jailbreak, I had endless pages of apps, most of them crap, and sorting them on the SpringBoard for further vetting was painful at best.

Control -- Jailbreaking enables control over the device as if it were a "regular computer", *which it is*. It's designed to run a real operating system, in the form of modified OS X. Enterprise application possibilities abound for a handheld computer with the iPhone's strengths and quality workmanship.

Wireless syncing -- AApple presumably doesn't allow this because it hits the battery a bit. But it's damn convenient in a pinch.

Other:
arbitrary nanny-ish gatekeeping in the app store.

3rd-party and private, non-published development restricted to the app store and a $99 license.

No official competition with SBsettings (maybe from app store?), which has convenient ready access to common settings switches.

Conclusion: Jailbreaking is still a pain in the ***, but worth it. It's very difficult to actually brick an iPhone. The benefits are real. I thought Apple would have fixed all this by now, but some say their approach hasn't improved at all. Their recent debacle over releasing a DOS emulator to the App Store then immediately pulling it (they do thise double-takes a lot, huh?) doesn't help. They disapprove of your accessing ALL the data on a computer you own. I say ********.

This needs a lot of work. Namely details, references and more clarity and quality in writing. But I'm writing on a teensy weensy cheapass netbook with stubby besotted fingers. Again, all input appreciated.